Advice from Devs: Should I use autotasking for Insurgency missions?

1. 8 years ago

I saw this brought up by an earlier poster. In your view guys, is it preferable to use the auto task generator when hunting down insurgents...or should I leave it more "sandbox style" with no true assigned tasks but more open world in regards to hunting down insurgent cells, taking out weapon caches, etc.

To get clarification....if I DON'T use auto task generation..the Insurgent Opcom will still recruit/stash weapons/deploy LEDs, etc. correct?

I thought about it and I'm considering taking out auto task generation, but leaving the Military sectors, etc. up to allow for my players to decided who and where to strike on their own.

What is your preference fellas? Will I "lose" anything if I don't use autotask for insurgency missions?

2. Friznit

16 Jun 2015 Administrator

You won't lose anything by removing it. Tbh in its current form the auto tasks are geared towards conventional ops anyway. Personally I always envisaged COIN ops requiring a lot more player input into the strategy, intel gathering and analysis than the purely tactical aspects of hunting baddies and blowing shit up. This reflects the reality of COIN that we are trying to replicate, although given the nature of ArmA and the need to shoot things, it is technically and doctrinally an assymetric force emulator that employs some terrorist traits, hence the name!

Give your players a steer with a high level mission but encourage them to use assets such as UAVs, recces, observation posts and build their own Intel overlay with Adv Markers, C2ISTAR reports and create their own tasks for follow up ops.

3. Edited 8 years ago by AUTigerGrad

Thanks for the advice Friznit. On that note...

Could you give me a quick overview on exactly how the C2ISTAR reports/advanced markers work in alive? I know you can write the reports and save them. Does that then get permanently uploaded to the map? Also, I noticed that intel I gather tends to disappear from the map after a few minutes (markers of terrorist locations). Is that by design? If so, can I bring that information back up if I need it? That's probably the one area I'm not so familiar with re: the mod.

I have started to dip my feet in the UAV waters...never really used them before but saw some amazing Youtube videos of folks using UAVs in hunting down Terrorist cells/hiding spots. Very very cool stuff.

4. Friznit

16 Jun 2015 Administrator

Highhead is a UAV master - he loves them for hunting terrorists. Great tools in the ALiVE environment and really change the game dynamic.

Markers, Spotreps and Reports get added to the Notes section on your map, and should be persisted between sessions if you've got the War Room all set up for your dedi server. Intel is fleeting - it's meant to simulate things like signal intercepts (SIGINT) to indicate suspected areas of enemy activity but it's no guarantee that they'll stay put, so it fades out quite quickly. The idea is to assess the intel and anything you pick up yourself, and assign tasks accordingly.

There are some hints and tips to operating in the asymmetric environment on the Wiki if you want to read further.

or Sign Up to reply!