Questions I've not seen the answers to.

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by thefinn

1. How do virtualised units fight? And do they lose squad members one at a time (so if I enter the perimeter where they should spawn, they spawn with less than a full squad) or do they just decide at some point that "this whole unit is destroyed".

2. If I have virtual units in a particular zone and send player owned Air support into the area (via the Alive CAS module) can it "see" the units in the area anyhow? Or is this just a waste of time?

3. I supposed this is kind of going to be similar to Q2. If I place static launchers/HMG's/Whatever should I virtualise them? Can they then "fight" other virtual units? Does it take into account that it's for instance an AT Launcher fighting a tank ?

Thanks for any clarity ;)

2. 1 - My guess is that the group is either alive or dead.. meaning they don't lose individual members just some strength value that when reaches 0 the group is destroyed

2 - Waste of time.. spawned units don't 'see' virtualized units and the CAS won't trigger spawning of AI groups

3 - Yes they can fight other virtual units.. not sure if they take into account the type. Also note it is not recommended to virtualize statics and other objects that might require exact placement, as when they spawn back into the game world they may not be in the exact same location.

3. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I'll add on to #1, trying to remember what I saw (Tup?) post once.. the two groups both move close to each other, once in proximity they both stop moving and commence the "fight". I think each group receives a sort of battle rating maybe based on group size, "damage" taken, and type of group (inf or armor). There is also a random dice roll in order to throw in some randomness into the process. As Savage said, I don't think it deletes individual members of the group.

4. Edited 8 years ago by thefinn

Very cool, thanks for the replies guys.

One more small question - regarding the mission I'm currently working on.

Will virtualised mortars fight reasonably ?

I have 4 mortars on the map which have triggers and scripts attached to them for firing when enemy is spotted in range. However, they won't fire on virtualized units, therefore, how should I get them working. I know the triggers won't work while virtualized either ;)

I'm willing to keep the triggers there for when the player is around. (2 mortars are BLUFOR, 2 are OPFOR).

Also, still wondering (for much the same reason) about the AT Launchers I mentioned in question 3 above.

5. Yes good explanation Spyder I remember something similar.

You cannot get real units to fire on virtual units, so your mortars will never fire at them unless they actually spawn into the game world.

Yes it will take into account the type of static (AT, AA, MG)

or Sign Up to reply!