Confusion with persistence

1. 8 years ago

If I want to play ALiVE sp, on my local machine,

1. Can I simply run the missions by hosting a local session, or do I need a dedicated server

2. Do I only need the @ALiVE mod, or do I also need @ALiVEserver on my game

Basically all I'm asking is how I can play ALiVE sp with ai and be able to save and quit to resume later.

Thanks

2. Hi Not Oliver. I primarily play ALiVE alone with AI so I'll link you to some things that will help you get started here soon. Give me an hour or two (getting ready for work :) ).

3. Greatly appreciated

4. 1 - you need a dedicated server if you want persistence. Luckily you can run a dedi on the same machine as your client and connect that way.

2 - the dedi needs to load the @aliveserver mod but NOT the client

3 - you'll need to setup an account on the War Room website and go through the setup instructions there:

http://www.alivemod.com/#ALiVEWarRoom

Note that you must register your server's IP address on the War Room which means you may need to update it if your IP address changes.

5. I was reading a post somewhere else that ALiVE could be played hosting locally, what I'm asking is if I need a dedi even if all I want to do is play, then save and quit.

6. ALiVE does support saving now in SP with the caveat that it might crash Arma :) Try to keep your missions small if you want to save in SP.

7. Just talked to a friend with a dedicated server, just wondering how mission saving and persistence deal with server restarts

8. Here's a link to what I did to get a dedicated server setup using TADST. I have a post there with some steps for you to take and videos for you to watch. My handle there is the same as here: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/159708-alive-advanced-light-infantry-virtual-environment/page-342

For the most part, persistence works really well! In the ALiVE Player Options module (pretty sure that's the one, not near my PC), you'll want to be sure everything is set to "yes" for persistence. Just make sure once you're done playing the mission for the night, you login as Admin by typing "\#login yourpassword"...without quotes, and then select "Admin Server Save and Exit."

Not everything a SP vanilla save and load will be there when you restart the server (you'll have to ask a dev to clarify what exactly persists and what doesn't), but everything you'd need to feel like you were actually continuing a mission works wonderfully with War Room (things like time of day, player position, ammo count, cleared bases, ALiVE markers, etc. Though note I prefer to spawn back at base upon reload because at the moment, AI teammates' position don't persist. So I like to spawn with them back at base).

I haven't had a more rewarding SP experience with ARMA than I have had with ALiVE. I really don't touch other game modes anymore. Well worth the setup.

9. Not Oliver, setting up TADST is just as easy as hosting locally. Trust me, ask around. I'm the most computer illiterate person on these boards and I host a dedicated server just fine. :) You need to make sure @Aliveserver is being run on the server; do not run it on your client mod line. Also, place alive.cfg in your ARMA root. This is the same place your TADST executable and ARMA executable (and your @mods) are/will be.

Run the same mods on the server as you're running with the mission (with the exception of @Aliveserver).

10. Wow, awesome! Thanks so much, that answered all my questions :D

11. Thanks Heroes!!

As for persistence between server restarts - that is what the War Room is for - all your datas are saved in a cloud DB and then restored when you fire up your server/mission again.

or Sign Up to reply!