Is Teamswitch possible in ALiVE MP?

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Unfortunately, due to my work schedule and my fiancé sometimes having to go to bed super early, being able to get on with other human players (and talking loud like a mad man apparently) doesn't happen as often as I'd like. As a result, I'm trying to find creative ways to cater my ALiVE experience to a more SP oriented one.

Here's a current predicament I'd like to alter. If Teamswitch isn't possible perhaps there's another solution? Anyway, I'm noticing that my AI teammates die quite quickly, so I'm going to presume they are not programmed to heal themselves; let alone heal me when I get hurt. Is Teamswitch available outside of the editor?

I've seen people talk about Revive scripts too so I'm really not sure what the best avenue to head down to try and improve this portion of the game.

Does anyone have any experience in this area of ALiVE MP?

EDIT: I'm not the most observant person. I see now that the debug console is in fact available in MP. Not really sure how I missed that before, TBH. I wonder how the Teamswitch command will work in MP mode? One way to find out, I guess!

Edit 2: Unfortunately, Teamswitch doesn't work in MP. Not only does it not work, trying to enable it not only doesn't let you control an AI player, but it also greys out the Logistics command for some reason.

2. For teamswitch to work you need to have other units set to playable in the editor - you can't just switch into any AI unit unfortunately. I'm not sure if it works in a dedicated setup either I've never tried it myself.

Revive won't do you much good if you are by yourself... unfortunately I am not aware of anything that will allow AI to revive a player (there used to be a script in A2 that did this... Norrins??). AI should heal themselves (at least they do in the vanilla game).

For other missions if you want access to the debug console add this line in your description.ext:

enableDebugConsole = 1;

3. Thanks Savage. Yeah, I need to come up with a solution here. I'll give the player units method a try. My AI teammates are definitely not healing themselves on the server the way they do in the offline vanilla game. With ALiVE they are essentially DOA.

Which did lead to a pretty cool Rambo style situation last night. I was alone (of course, my 6 AI teammates all died within seconds after we got engaged) with a freaking mega-ton of Taliban suppressing me inside a building which I had hunkered down in to call CAS.

I must have killed a dozen of those terrorists. A few of them got so close to my location I could hear their footsteps outside. :) Talk about intense. Probably the most memorable battle I've ever had in ARMA (all thanks to the power of ALiVE).

And then I was so worked up I forgot to server save and exit when I was done. :(

I'll have to search around BIS forums to see if there's anything out there to help cater to an oddball SP guy trying to play a MP mode. Ideally I'll be able to find a way to compel AI to at least heal themselves the way I can when I'm offline offline.

I appreciate you popping in Savage!

4. Interesting I just assumed AI would heal themselves in MP as well.

In your mission description.ext make sure you have this set:

disabledAI = 0;

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Description.ext#disabledAI

In the editor add some units to your group (I assume you are the leader) and set them to "playable". You should be able to switch to those guys now in-game.

5. That's perfect. Thanks, Savage. If this works it will add a whole new layer of strategy available at my fingertips. Looking forward to giving it a spin!

6. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Just a quick update. Even after enabling AI, Teamswitch only works in SP, sadly. I guess I'm off to see if any revive scripts work with AI. Or maybe a way to get the option in the F keys to command my units to heal/heal me like in SP.

This script showed up in Google: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/177959-srs-a-mp-only-simple-revive-script-for-a3/

Gonna mess around. Even though it didn't work, I still really appreciate the suggestion. It was a good idea!

7. Ah well...thanks for the update.

That script does NOT support AI healing you (just FYI)

8. That's ok. Thanks for at least letting me know beforehand so I didn't waste my entire night banging my head against the wall.

I think I'll just let this pipe dream go at this point. I can roleplay this. The Enemy AI doesn't try to heal themselves anyway either so I guess the playing field is more level this way.

I'll just have to be more careful with my AI movement commands.

Thanks Savage.

or Sign Up to reply!