Recommended way to delete/replace all modules?

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

So in the event I choose to delete and replace all of my modules after an ALiVE update, is there a recommended way to do this? I guess I don't know how mission.sqm's write themselves and whether or not certain modules should be placed first/second/third/etc.

The easiest way, obviously, would be for me to work backwards and start with the obj modules because I can see the placement and syncing, and then do OPCOM, then move on to the side (unsynced) and required stuff, etc.

The hard way would be having to delete all of the modules first, and then lay down Required/Data/Virtual AI, then the side stuff, then the OPCOM and obj's because that's essentially building a mission all over again.

How would you guys recommend going about this when you feel like it's time to clean house? Or rather, if you ever had an issue that was FIXED by replacing all of your modules, how did you go about it?

2. I have a separate mission saved with all the modules synced up in a nice formation, so that I can easily copy and paste it when need be. In case of updates I will just recreate said formation of modules next to the the previous ones to compare and make sure I don't miss any modules or vital parameters, and then delete the old ones when I am done. Probably not the most time-effective method though.

3. That's more time effective than I was thinking of doing. Does it fix whatever issues the updates caused you?

I also thought copy/pasting was not advised due to Eden. Does anyone have any thoughts on that?

4. I always go through this procedure when we are updating our mods, to avoid running into possible issues in the middle of something, as has otherwise been the case in the past.

I still only use the 2D editor, so I would not know about issues that may cause with Eden.

5. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks for the feedback. I'd still love a dev response on the recommended way to do this though. I know they encourage deleting and replacing all of the modules in the event of issues after updates, so I'd really like to get more in depth directions for the most painless way to do this.

Deleting them and manually replacing them all would take me quite some time and I'd definitely rather not go this road if I could delete them and replace them one at a time in any order instead if they thought it would accomplish the same goal.

6. Friznit

5 Jun 2016 Administrator

If it's due to an updated module after an ALiVE update then sometimes it's sufficient to simply double click that module and then close it again. Otherwise deleting the problem module(s) should be enough.

If you're copy/pasting into a different map, then for some reason the init order built into the module code gets screwed up so you have to rebuild everything from scratch. There's no easy way around that sadly.

or Sign Up to reply!