Questions on the use of the ORBAT Creator

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by pttn40

Questions on the use of the ORBAT Creator

TL;DR: Trying to change an Independent faction to BLUFOR and I can’t seem to get it to work. Details in the final paragraph and below.

I have just started playing with ALiVE and I have been having a blast with it. I have started using it to design a mission for the milsim unit I am a part of. I have a few questions though.

The scenario I am trying to create is based off what happened in Crimea. In order to do this I, want to have the main force be moderately equipped backed by a small group of Russian special forces preforming asymmetric warfare. My issue is both factions I want to use are OPFOR, and I can’t use two different AI Commander Modules on the same side. To fix this I wanted to make one of RHS’s Russians factions Independent.

To play with this I decided to try to change Leights Opfor UN from Independent to BLUFOR. I have tried both editing the faction and creating a copy that I make BLUFOR and I can’t seem to get it to work. When I make a copy all the groups carry over, but none of the units do. When I edit it, ORBAT shows the changes but ALiVE still spawns them as Independent. I’m not sure what I am doing wrong. If anyone could give me some pointers that would be appreciated. Also, I can post the configs upon request and it should be noted this is for a one-off mission so I am just pasting them into the description.ext.

My Steps
    • Edit

1. I select the faction I want to edit
    2. I press edit
    3. I change the side to BLUFOR
    4. I press Generate Full Config
    5. I paste the config into the description.ext

• Copy

1. I select the faction I want to edit
    2. I press copy
    3. I change the class name and select the side as BLUFOR
    4. I press Generate Full Config
    5. I paste the config into the description.ext
  2. I could be wrong but I think that because it needs to create new units for the particular side, you need to build a config mod for it (description.ext won't work).

3. What incontinenetia posted is correct

1. Copy desired faction
    2. Change faction side to independant
    3. Change groups belonging to faction to ALiVE compatible groups :
    4. Create new mod, posting the CfgPatches export data in the CfgPatches file and the Full Faction export data into the autogen.hpp file.
  4. Thank you for the replies. I was under the impression that as long as I do not modify the units I should be able to add the configs into the description.ext. The wiki states:

"If you create a new faction class or group config using existing units without changing their loadout at all, then you can paste the results into description.ext and the changes will apply at the mission level only."

Is this out of date/bad information?

5. By changing the sides of the units you are creating new units. You cannot modify the sides (properly) of existing units.

6. I see, that is unfortunate but I can work with it. Thank you very much for the help.

or Sign Up to reply!