Combat Support + Player Mutlispawn

1. 6 years ago

Hi guys, I'm new here, but I want you to know that I followed etiquette, and did plenty of searching through both the alivemod.com forums and the associated wiki before making a new thread!

Getting on with it...

I want to have an MHQ that is a CAS (transport) vehicle. This way I can have the MHQ orbit the AO. For me, this is much different than the "insertion" setting on the multispawn module.

Foolishy, I assumed that I could simply sync the multispawn module to the CAS (transport) module and bada-bing-bada-bang. When that didn't work, I came across this piece of script in the wiki:

this setvariable ["CS_TYPE","CAS"]; //Type can be "TRANSPORT" or "CAS" or "HYBRID"

Optional:

this setvariable ["CS_CALLSIGN","Your Callsign"]; //Callsign of the unit
    this setvariable ["CS_HEIGHT",_height]; //Altitude of the landing site
    this setvariable ["CS_CODE","persistent _code as 'string';"] //custom init line code
    this setVariable ["CS_SLINGLOADING", false]; //disables sling loading on transport helis
    this setVariable ["CS_CONTAINERS",0]; //number of crates to spawn around a transport heli (0 to disable)

Supposedly, this script can be used in the init line of a vehicle so that it can then be synced to the CS module for access to those features. I could then sync said vehicle to the multispawn module. This solution would be adequate; however, i get a script error from the editor when I use this code:

this setvariable ["CS_TYPE","TRANSPORT"]; //Type can be "TRANSPORT" or "CAS" or "HYBRID"

//Optional:

this setvariable ["CS_CALLSIGN","RODEO ONE"]; //Callsign of the unit
    this setvariable ["CS_HEIGHT",_20]; //Altitude of the landing site
    //this setvariable ["CS_CODE","persistent _code as 'string';"] //custom init line code
    this setVariable ["CS_SLINGLOADING", false]; //disables sling loading on transport helis
    this setVariable ["CS_CONTAINERS",0]; //number of crates to spawn around a transport heli (0 to disable)

call{this setvariable ["CS_TYPE","TRANSPORT"]; |#| //Type can be "TRANSPORT" or "CAS" or "HYBRID"
    error invalid number in expression

I am not a scripter by any means. I have enough knowledge to dissect someone else's work and can sometimes make frankenscritps. I have tried as many reasonable variations as I can think of.
    ["CS_TYPE", "_TRANSPORT"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "CAS"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "TRANSPORT"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "_CAS"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "HYBRID"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "_HYBRID"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "_1"];
    ["CS_TYPE", "1"];
    etc.

To make matters more complicated I am using a helicopter from RHS, but I don't see any specific errors related to that.

Could anyone shed some light on this? Either getting the multispawn module to cooperate with a CAS module, or by helping me with this init script so that I can work around it. Also, I'm open to out-of-the-box suggestions. Any help would be appreciated!

2. highhead

4 Sep 2017 Administrator
    Edited 6 years ago by highhead

Hi!

First - Welcome the ALiVE!

Second - This has not been tried yet, so it probably just will not work -> due to the fact that both - the Multispawn Module and the CS Transport module - will recreate the vehicle (and not use the asset placed in editor directly) and Multispawn will always create a new insertion chopper with "insertion" option and delete it after insertion.

For the error you got, just remove this: everything after the //
    ergo remove... //Type can be "TRANSPORT" or "CAS" or "HYBRID"

...and only leave this in...: this setvariable ["CS_TYPE","TRANSPORT"];

I guess it won't work, though.

What is the issue with using it the intended way actually? (as in having a "Transport chopper" and a seperate "Multispawn Insertion")?

3. Friznit

4 Sep 2017 Administrator
    Edited 6 years ago by Friznit

Place an empty heli
    In the unit init line, type this setvariable ["CS_TYPE","TRANSPORT"];
    Place a combat support module and sync to the heli
    Place a BIS Respawn Position module and sync to the heli

Not actually tried it but should in theory respawn you in the heli.

4. Edited 6 years ago by TheeYetti

Thanks for the warm welcome! I enjoy creating content, and ALiVE was what I had always wished for back when I played OA. I actually had a friend and fellow unit member create a series of arrays with different troop variations and consistencies that could be called for from a marker back then. It made mission design that much better and with that much higher degree of randomization (and therefore replayability.) I was blown away at our capability of making our own content with that little set up, so you could understand how I am ecstatic to have come back to A3 and have stumbled across ALiVE!

Highhead, that's exactly what I was thinking. The CAS module spawns the vehicle in after the scenario loads, so I had initially looked into finding a way to edit the init line of the chopper that it will spawn in. However, I then found the route that I described above to be simpler (for me.) Either way, you were right. The commented out sections of the init line were causing the error. I didn't know that "//" comments weren't allowed in the init line.

As far as using the insertion feature on the multispawn module; I can only explain myself as wanting to do things the hard way. I have a been accused of enjoying splitting hairs more than once. It is a small difference, I know, but the added ambiance, risk of losing the asset, and all those small things compound into a noticeable feature for me when I am playing someone else's missions. I am doubtless that I am a minority in that sense.

Friznit, I hadn't thought to use the BIS respawn. I'm going to try this as well and report back.

Thanks again for your help guys.

EDIT:

Friznit, this worked!

For anyone reading this in the future I learned two things.

1) Military logistics somehow confused my CS sync'd vehicles and they would just sit there without anyone taking control of them. I tried deleting and replacing one module at a time until I pinpointed the trouble spot and this was it. I copy & pasted the mission to a fresh EDEN file and then just added the ML module and everything worked.

2) Also, it's not a problem for me (more of a feature) but if the CS vehicle with the respawn module sync'd to it is destroyed, the respawn point is lost (even if the vehicle respawns.)

or Sign Up to reply!