Asymmetric Warfare

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by Ludi

My weekend casual group have been playing with Alive for some time now and we have a series of invasion and Asymmetrical Warfare missions underway. We really dig alive - Kudos to the team

Last weekends session here:
    http://www.twitch.tv/wellsbells/c/6805467
    Be warned that this contains mature content - or rather immature content depending on your perspective.

I have started building a new mission where we play the insurgents civilian force however I cant seem to get autotasking to work for the civilan side?
    I am assuming this is because civilians are not tasked in the same way?

Should the civi's be autotasked with IED placement, capture objectives, etc supporting the asymmetric force?

Any advice on this appreciated.
    -image-

2. I think the tasking system for Insurgency should stay disabled. Your task is provide security over Insurgents area. You just need to inspect the civilian folk for any resistance possibility and fight against insurgents forces.

3. Friznit

12 Jun 2015 Administrator

Autogenerated tasks won't work if you're playing as a civilian - we never really imagined it that way round, though it's an interesting approach!

By way of a little RP, the task generator is supposed to simulate a high level command structure so you could imagine that a purely civilian insurgency doesn't have that kind of organisation. When they finally get organised, they effectively become a faction in their own right...or something!

4. Thanks for confirming that it is not a functional part of the tasking system.

I kind of imagined a warlord style of commander for civi' with the commander tasking civi's to gather weapons, establish weapon caches, place IED's, set ambushes, expand civi resistance by recruitment etc.
    Alive is clearly tasking the civilian side I just hoped I could grab these tasks for the civ players.

I do wonder if I can work around this by grouping up the player civilian team to a opfor team leader and hide the opfor leader. Thus receiving tasks for the opfor side (setting tasks to low priority tasks)... However Ideally the civi's should not be attacked by either side until they engage not sure how to make this work?

The idea being they can just take a bus or civ vehicle to the objective and walk through the fire fights without too much trouble and then once they engage with the fight they are in the thick of it.

5. I actually have an abandoned WIP mission using scripts that would allow you to play on the insurgent side while still being incognito when not posing a threat. I could try and fix it up a bit if you want. You could also try grouping yourself to an insurgent leader but it might be troublesome when handling respawning.

6. Edited 8 years ago by Ludi

That would be excellent spyder!

7. I will also play with MCC to generate civ missions and see whats whats with options for players

8. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

@Ludi That would be excellent spyder!

I'll take a look at it tomorrow and see what I can fix with it. It's not perfect by any means but it does it's job.

I know Highhead's Sabotage mission also has a function to be able to steal an enemy's uniform and be in disguise, Although more complicated than mine in terms of understanding it (At least for me).

9. Sounds good - thanks

10. Edited 8 years ago by thefinn

If you check out COS (Civilian Occupation System) he wrote some scripts in there for interacting with civs.

(Would be cool if there was a field in the Military Objective Civ module that had an "init" field for each of the civs <- suggestion. I mean why not, even BI added such things to the support system for crates and vehicles).

*If* you can add that kind of thing to the alive civs then - If there's a hook in Alive to add civilians to the insurgents side... then interacting with a "red" or "yellow" civ might give a chance to do that ?

Then any nearby weapons boxes would be automatically sought by those people I think.

Just a thought.

11. Good suggestion, it would probably go into the civilian population or civilian placement module though since Military Objective (Civ) only handles creating objectives on each civilian location.

12. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Alright here it is
    http://www.mediafire.com/download/tlfr0k4n74bgt61/InsurgentScripts.rar

Basically how it works is if you start as a civilian, you will get changed to the Resistance side (important to make sure resistance side is set to neutral to blufor and that you set tasking in C2ISTAR module for the resistance side). You will remain on the resistance side unless you pull out a weapon, strap yourself with explosives, or shout Allahu Akbar at your enemies.. once you do this you will be transferred to the East side. You will eventually be transferred back to the resistance side after a short delay once you put away your weapons/explosives and escape. Hopefully it works as I just scraped all of the necessary files out of another mission of mine. It's a messy framework of functions but it kinda works. Feel free to change anything and everything. If you have scripting knowledge you can probably clean this up and optimize it a lot, like I said I abandoned it so it is really messy as I never bothered to remove all of the experiments I did with it. Credit for the idea and beginning script goes to http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=26477

13. Edited 8 years ago by thefinn

Interesting.

I was considering something more along the lines of whole lotta altis, having an american team somewhere dressed as civs creating a militia from other civs.

Still love to see the init field, not sure if it'd be available on ALL the units ?

That could really help for making them use specific weapons - the CAF AG replacement AK's and RPG's with CUP weapons or HLC or whatever people prefer comes to mind. Same with ISIS or RHS Russians. Or indeed just giving particular soldiers a specific item that might be needed for the mission.

14. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

If you want to re-equip or redress units you can use another method

In the description.ext

class Extended_Init_EventHandlers {
     class Man {
      init = "_this call (compile preprocessFileLineNumbers 'my_script.sqf')";
     };
    };

There is an example I provided awhile ago here

Like if you wanted to remove the gear of only East side units you could do this in the my_script.sqf

private "_this";
    _unit = _this select 0;

if ((side _unit) == east) then {
        removeAllWeapons _unit;
        _unit addWeapon "weaponclassname";
    };
  15. Nice that's more what I was after. Might add your allah akhbar to suicide bombers or something ;)

16. Many thanks Sypder for taking the time to tweak and provide this.

It does look to do what I am after!

The challenge for me now is to merge your cfg and scripts with the current mission scripts. I am working on this now. I may seek some help with this as I am utterly useless with scripting and my mate built the base missions with a truck load of other active scripts and some 16 gb of mods so this is somewhat challenging for lil' old me.

Thanks again.

thefinn: Will check out COS once I get the Spyders scripts incorporated. ta

Cheers.
    Ludi

17. No worries if you need help, my workflow isn't exactly the cleanest so it can get confusing really fast.

18. Edited 8 years ago by Ludi

The mission contains the insurgency base script and a load of other stuff. I tried incorporating your script to no avail. If you wouldn't mind taking a look see this would be great.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/8cm8p9vv8g1iy58/Bystrica_Alive_Asymmetric_Civ_Insurgency.woodland_ACR.rar

19. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Will return in a few minutes, will post with the link when done.

20. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Try this

http://www.mediafire.com/download/buu5ni7j09j9o9c/Bystrica_Alive_Asymmetric_Civ_Insurgency.woodland_ACR.rar

As I said before, right now it depends on the enemy being bluefor but if you need that changed to suit your mission it can be.

Also because of all of the mods present in the mission I couldn't test it myself but hopefully it all works fine, let me know if you encounter anything wierd.

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!