OPCOM seems to time-out.

1. 8 years ago

I've been making a large-scale mission with the intention of it being a near-perpetual battle, with both sides on a dynamic reinforcement pool.
    I've hit a snag though, it's taken a while to confirm it, but after a number of hours (two or three) both sides OPCOMs stop assigning objectives. With Virtual AI debug on I can no longer see movement crosses after this time, and all forces sit stationary.
    I've tried all permutations of force sizes and balancing, but the problem seems to be that after a while OPCOM just gets bored and goes home.
    Any ideas? Is this a setup issue? A bug?

2. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Might be a case of performance is getting too low and OPCOM is getting hungup on analysis and therefor unable to continue it's cycle. Maybe try testing it on a dedicated server and/or reducing overall objectives/unit counts.

3. I've tried both of those already, even with small numbers it's the same, and the server reports only 15% CPU usage at peak.

4. Edited 8 years ago by BlackAlpha

I second the original post. There appears to be a bug in ALIVE that makes it stop working after a few hours.

I've done extensive testing with just ALIVE/CBA and I have never been able to get OPCOM to really work for more than a few hours. After a few hours OPCOM stops assigning objectives, units stop respawning and it then also stops sending units to objects. If I run some fancy scripts to look at the OPCOM information, I can see that objectives are assigned, I can see that groups are assigned to objectives, but no units are moved regardless. It's like OPCOM is frozen completely.

The simplest test that I couldn't even get to work is (using a bare minimum amount of modules with as much as possible default settings):

1. Give each side 1 custom objective in which they can respawn. Give like 50 units to each side.
    2. Create an empty custom objective somewhere in between those 2 zones that is assigned to both sides, so that they will fight over that objective.
    3. Make sure the player is not nearby and let the mission run for a while.
    4. OPCOM reliably breaks after 2 to 4 hours. I know this because when this bug happens, AI units stop moving around the map, they also stop respawning, and the objective status is not updated properly anymore. What I mean with the latter is that the objective in the center might be assigned to BLUFOR, OPCOM says a BLUFOR unit is standing inside the objective, but if I look at the unit in question, the unit is actually not in the objective but kilometers away, in a completely different location, and is not moving.

Seeing as how even such a small, simple mission doesn't work, I think it's pretty clear that it's not the server performance that is causing the bug.

I have been able to get OPCOM to work longer by making it so OPFOR and BLUFOR AI never fight each other. So, what I mean is:

1. Give BLUFOR AI a single objective that is not assigned to OPFOR.
    2. Vice versa for OPFOR, but give OPFOR some more objectives that the players will be able to fight over.
    3. Let the mission run for 12 hours. No fighting happens during that time.
    4. Afterwards, let players attack some objectives. The OPFOR AI then tries to reinforce and take back the objectives, killed AI units also respawn. This means that OPCOM still works at that point.
    5. But after a few hours of actual fighting (players VS AI), OPCOM again breaks. The objectives stop being updated properly, no units are moved around and AI stops respawning.

I also tried to create a mission in which AI units don't respawn, so all units are spawned by ALIVE on mission start, but that changes nothing.

I did all testing on a dedicated server.

So, it seems that ALIVE works for as long as there's no combat happening. If there is combat happening, it seems to break after a few hours.

I don't have a test mission for you because last time I did any tests was about 2 months ago, which is when I gave up on ALIVE. But it's not like it's hard to reproduce this bug, seeing as how it always breaks after a few hours.

5. Thanks for the report will try and repro this over the weekend.

6. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Haven't tested your repro yet but can't say I've expierenced the same in the past. All of my sessions usually last a few hours and I've never had a consistent issue. I've only expierenced the issue during massive missions with well over 2500+ profiles while hosting and playing the mission off the same PC.

Helps to post your mission file as well if you're having serious issues, much easier to check each bit that might be important.

7. ^ yes and considering the number of groups that use ALiVE in their persistent missions I would think this issue would have been reported in the past. I've had a mission running for 6 days before...although that was some time ago (around alive version 0.7). Will attempt to repro...

8. Edited 8 years ago by BlackAlpha

@SavageCDN ^ yes and considering the number of groups that use ALiVE in their persistent missions I would think this issue would have been reported in the past. I've had a mission running for 6 days before...although that was some time ago (around alive version 0.7). Will attempt to repro...

Well, generally speaking, I know from experience that only a small percentage of your playerbase will actually bother to report issues. Most people either simply try to ignore the problems, work around it, or abandon your product entirely and move on to something else.

Here's a recent example. In multiplayer, smoke is not working for the AI (more specifically, AI local to the dedicated server), they can see through it like it's not there. The issue was there for many months and still is (it's been there for at least 6 months, if not longer). Finally I got off my lazy arse and I reported it on the bug tracker and it seemed like I was the first (now, BIS has acknowledged it and is working on it). Yet, the bug report has gotten very few upvotes and nobody else is reporting this issue. How is that possible? It's an issue that affects almost everybody who plays against AI on a dedicated server and this issue has been there for a very long time. It affects all the big coop communities. Surely, somebody must have noticed it before I reported it. Yet, nobody bothers to report it. Such is life... In my case, it was because of laziness that I didn't report the issue sooner. Maybe everybody is lazy? ;)

9. Friznit

20 Aug 2015 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Friznit

Agree with you to an extent though unlike BIS perhaps, we benefit from having several dedicated testers who put considerable time specifically into finding bugs with our code (both Savage and Spyderblack for example) and the likes of your good self who do go to the time and effort to report them.

Anyway, to Sav's point, in our testing to date none of the devs nor our test team has experienced this issue so we'll set aside some time this weekend to try and repro it using your steps above.

If OPCOM is still assigning objectives but Virtual AI aren't moving or spawning, it's more likely to be a sys_profiles issue or possibly something up with the virtual combat algorithms reporting the combat status of profiles incorrectly.

10. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

Just so I'm clear on your repro steps, BlackAlpha:

• Custom mil objective for both sides with approx 50 units (groups?) for each.
    • Custom mil objective (set to objectives only) between the 2 sides synced to both OPCOMs
    • player unit far enough away that profiles will not spawn
    • wait minimum of 4 hours

It's been a while since I've tested all custom objectives (since they were first introduced IIRC) - have you noticed this only happens when using custom objectives or does it also happen using the regular placement modules?

Also are you testing using military logistics for both OPCOMs so both sides receive replacements?

11. Edited 8 years ago by BlackAlpha

Yes, that should be the repro. They both use a mil logistics module.

I noticed the bug first with regular zones. I used custom objectives later on because it's easier for testing.

I'll also try to repro it again and tell you how it goes.

Let it run longer. I've had it once break at 1 and a half hours and once after 14 hours. I'd say, let it run for a day, then you'll be pretty sure.

12. I ran the mission 3 times, respawn broke fairly quickly each time (after about an hour or two). So, the units stopped spawning and it never reached the point where more things break.

I'll add more empty objectives to both sides and give them some more units. Maybe that will keep the mission going.

13. So, I tried a bigger mission a few times, but everytime units stop respawning about an hour in. The remaining units are used to defend the areas they own, and so the mission comes to a halt - nothing happens.

14. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Does this happen only with custom objectives? If you use civilian placement modules set to objectives only and then spawn the units in using whatever method, does it still break? (Assuming I'm understanding the setup of the mission)

15. The missions I've tried so far were either all civ objectives or all custom objectives.

16. Do you have a repro mission using just CBA and ALiVE that I could take a look at? I've been unable to repro this in 2 separate tests (although I did not try with civ objectives..maybe I'll give that a shot later).

17. Sure. Can I also have your test mission so that I can confirm it works?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/s30xgkgfy5ql5th/MPMissions.rar?dl=0

18. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

Of course.. will be a few days as I'm away from my gaming PC ATM.

edit: just realized I was testing with the latest internal version and not the public release.. will re-test with 0.9.9.1506221

19. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

OK will be testing this tonight and tomorrow with latest public release

edit:
    With both alive_test_1 and alive_test_2 missions the problem seems to be that CSAT is not receiving BCRs from the logistics module (NATO does receive them). Eventually CSAT runs out of groups to send on the attack and NATO doesn't have any more objectives to take so they both sit.

Going to delete and replace the logistics modules and re-test

edit2: confirmed it's an issue - one that is not consistent (ie: doesn't happen every time). Might take a while to nail down the cause.

"after about 6 hours some profiles got corrupted, that dont seem to move anymore and dont spawn / despawn but still are in the profilehandler hash and therefore OPCOM waits until they completed their waypoints (but they dont get simulated) and this is locking up OPCOM"

20. Edited 8 years ago by BlackAlpha

From my experience, it happens for certain on bigger missions, it's just a matter of time.

Do you maybe have an ETA when it will be fixed? Weeks, months?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!