civilian traffic

1. 8 years ago

First off just want to say that the latest update for alive is the best thing that has happened to arma 3. My insurgency mission can now be what I always thought it should be and wouldn't have been possible with out you guys so thank you very much!

My question:

I am using the leights opfor and I got the idea to setup a Military Placement (Civilian Objectives) and selected the motorized with there civilian class LOP_TAK_Civ in hopes that it would create civilian traffic which didn't work. Is there a way to create civilian traffic? its the one thing my mission is missing?

2. I'm pretty sure this is not in AliVE atm. Maybe create a feature request on their tracker? I miss this a lot as well, as I remember it from the MSO days :)

3. Friznit

16 Oct 2015 Administrator

The MSO civ traffic was more by accident than design! There is technically civ traffic in ALiVE. If you place plenty of civs with the module (and increase the limiter from the default 25) and ensure there are lots of ambient civs vehicles around they will actually use them. It does tend to get overruled by military spawns though.

There's a long standing design feature in our backlog to extend the civ pattern of life simulator into a mini economy - residential, industry and commerce stuff. How we could achieve that without throttling performance is another matter, quite part from the AI generally being too retarded to drive anywhere without failing horribly.

4. Edited 8 years ago by onedigita

yea at this point Id really be happy with something than nothing. with this latest update I have bumped the level of civilians greatly but I will try even more and add more vehicles. This is something alive should definitely have. theres no point in using a 3rd party script to bog down your mission we need to get this feature asap! :D

5. @onedigita First off just want to say that the latest update for alive is the best thing that has happened to arma 3. My insurgency mission can now be what I always thought it should be and wouldn't have been possible with out you guys so thank you very much!

My question:

I am using the leights opfor and I got the idea to setup a Military Placement (Civilian Objectives) and selected the motorized with there civilian class LOP_TAK_Civ in hopes that it would create civilian traffic which didn't work. Is there a way to create civilian traffic? its the one thing my mission is missing?

Spyder created an outstanding ambience script which I use. It adds civilian traffic throughout your mission, spawning in and out of player zones.

I believe he's actually updating it this afternoon.

6. @AUTigerGrad Spyder created an outstanding ambience script which I use. It adds civilian traffic throughout your mission, spawning in and out of player zones.

I believe he's actually updating it this afternoon.

Link?

7. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Not released publicly at all, I can do so if people want it. Might also need a few modifications if you want to make it dig into the ALiVE civilian system in order to make use of ambient civilian faction, vehicles, and cluster locations.

8. yes 100% would love it!

9. Hate to say it, but I don't think it's a good idea until BIS gets their AI driving straight. Right now with Ambient Vehicles, my AI drivers can barely make it down the street around parked cars. Sometimes a car parked too far in the center or a road, will cause a diversion of blocks instead of driving past. These might be mitigated by getting the ambient spawns closer to the curb, but the issue would likely remain.

On the other hand: if we could get civ traffic driving *between* towns; I think it could lead to some amazing stuff.

10. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Alright here's what I got
    https://github.com/SpyderBlack723/Spyder-Ambiance

To install, just download and put the SpyderAmbiance script inside the root of your mission folder. Then add a line to your init.sqf in order to initialize the script (examples included in download)

Just a heads up, it's not the most graceful script but it gets the job done. It was written awhile ago and is in desperate need of a rework. It currently supports

• Spawning animal herds
    • Spawning civilian vehicles
    • Spawning terrorist vehicles (civ vehicles in disguise)
    • Blacklisted areas via markers
    • Debug

Terrorist vehicles are civilian vehicles with insurgents inside. If they detect you, they may choose from an array of actions to respond with.

Right now unit types are auto-detected based on maps and mods being used. It only supports Leights Opfor Pack, RDS Civilians, CAF Aggressors, and a few default units to fallback to in case no mods could be detected to use. You can custom define units at the top of getUnitTypes.sqf. This is something I would like to improve upon in the future as well, it's kind of annoying having to go into the file itself to define custom unit classnames. Note, they must be wrapped in quotes ex. "C_man_1"

The locations it chooses are ["NameVillage","NameCity","NameCityCapital","NameLocal"]
    You can use blacklist markers (examples inside the init.sqf in the download) to stop the script from spawning anything in certain areas.

Vehicles may not be as heavy as you may want, this could be changed rather easily by editing a few numbers. Performance will lessen with the more vehicles spawned per zone though. (This would be a cool bit to allow the user to customize as well)

Objects are spawned when at least one player is in range of a location (currently 1000m or so, would like to make it customizable in the future). The objects will then despawn when all players leave that area.

Known Issues: Seems to execute several times at the very start of the mission. I'm not sure what's causing this as I've even included a check to try and combat this. If it becomes a big problem at the start of missions, just place a 1100 x 1100m blacklist marker over your base location.

Also, remember this was kind of released at random due to the request. There may be issues, report any you may see and I'll try to deal with them.

or Sign Up to reply!