HC Entity/Logic Module Placement Matters

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by Crapachi

This may be documented/common knowledge, but for a couple days I was wondering why a certain section of my mission map wasn't putting civs and other units back into virtualization, even if players were well outside the configured range...

Then it occurred to me. Where I placed my headless client logic modules on the map in Editor (Game Logic > Virtual Entities > Headless Client) and set playable was right in that vicinity, and keeping those units deprofiled and wide open.

Moving my HC modules way up out of the way of everything remedied the situation.

Just something to watch out for.

***** UPDATE *****
    Further testing has indicated that it wasn't the Headless Client logic/module(s) inducing this condition after all, but rather odd behavior of Game Master modules I had in the same block. The actual "#adminLogged" Game Master module itself, and perhaps any other Game Master module that corresponds to a player actively in Zeus, appears to also act as a player entity for purposes of the profiler.

2. thanks for the tip

3. Edited 8 years ago by highhead

One of the devs took a look at this and can't replicate the issue:

1 - We use BIS_fnc_listPlayers to get the players, if HC would be in there it might be a BIS bug
    2 - We can't replicate that behaviour. CIVs and other AI despawning fine even with HC placed in the center of Stratis.

In your mission is the HC unit named in the editor? If not perhaps the HC is not moving to the virtual entities slot and therefore being detected as a player?

Do you happen to have a repro mission you could send us that shows the problem?

4. highhead

21 Oct 2015 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by highhead

Or is there maybe an UAV involved in any way?

PS: sounds ridiculous, I know - but we actually spawn if an UAV is near to be able to do UAV ops

5. highhead

21 Oct 2015 Administrator

PS: edited Savages reply above, not BIS_fnc_MP but BIS_fnc_listPlayers -> was my fault originally, typed that fuckn func. too often in the last few months and must have been an internal automatism :)

6. HC units are named, though I name them Horseman_1 and Horseman_2 (teehee). Not sure if that makes a difference, but they are indeed joining on the VE slot(s). One other thing I've changed recently was introduction of the headless isHC check in init.sqf... Still necessary? Possibly effecting this for better or worse?

BIS_fnc_listPlayers is meant to list all "playable", yeh?

Will fiddle with it and see if I can figure out anything more.

Naturally the original mission is like, on FATA and uses ACE3 and RHS/LOP and then some, so I'll try to see if I can replicate it on something more stripped down for ya.

Thanks again for your efforts in keeping this project alive n' kickin.

7. Ahhhhhhhh...

Okay, I stand corrected.

It wasn't the HC logic(s) causing the deprofiling after all, but rather an "#adminLogged" Game Master module I had in the same block. Moving that module around appears to hang nearby units in spawn. At least under Editor preview. Almost certain I was seeing the same behavior under MP.

Is that reproducible for you guys?

Prolly a BIS bug.

8. keeping this project alive n' kickin.

I sees what you did there ;)

Interesting find don't think this has ever come up in any testing. When I make missions usually I have modules like this off to the side of the map or out in the middle of the ocean far away from the 'action', more out of habit than anything else.

9. Friznit

22 Oct 2015 Administrator

Zeus is a player entity, not just a camera.

10. Right. I can see whilst moving around in Zeus that stuff spawns/despawns as expected, absolutely...

But that actual "#adminLogged" Game Master module itself, and perhaps any other Game Master module that corresponds to a player actively in Zeus, appears to also act as a player entity in this regard. I can, for instance, take my Zeus camera clicks away from the module location on map but still see all civilians remain spawned in at that location.

Just a behavior/oddity thing. Prolly nothing that needs to be fixed, just noted. Savage's better practices of keeping the modules way off-map is probably the preferable route.

or Sign Up to reply!