ALiVE server using lots of server resources

1. 8 years ago

My ALiVE server is shared with a Wasteland server on the VPS. The Wasteland server is lagging which is not good. It seems to be linked to the ALiVE server as the ALiVE server is easily eating up 1+GB of RAM with next to no one on it. Any suggestions to resolve this? The server has a Wasteland server, ALiVE server and MySQL server on the VPS. 4GB of RAM on server.

I suggested to the owners that we move the DB server offsite as it is never a good idea to have the DB server on the production server. But, I don't think the DB server is causing the issue.

What is a good, inexpensive hosting company and recommended build for an ALiVe server anyway?

2. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

Have you confirmed that the ALiVE instance is actually lagging the Wasteland instance (ie: shutting down the alive server and you see improved performance in Wasteland)? RAM usage shouldn't really be a factor unless you are using all of your physical RAM and things are moving to swap file.

You can also limit the amount of RAM each instance consumes by using -maxmem = server parameter in your .cfg

edit: for server build the only thing that really matters is CPU speed. Disk speed is irrelevant (unless you are running a bunch of servers) - note this is not the case for the client - disk speed is important in that case. Also you'll want to allocate 2GB per instance.

3. Edited 8 years ago by DaVidoSS

There some curiosities:

I have server with 4 intel Xeon 3800Ghz

If i run the alive mission with all cores + 1 extra HC server FPS = 50 at big rift .

If i run the alive mission with 2 cores only + 2 cores for HC instance on the same machine, server FPS = 50 at big rift .

Each instance has 2048 GB of RAM
    Cool.. is'n it?

or Sign Up to reply!