Porting mission to different map

1. 8 years ago

So as you guys know, I'm super new to ALiVE and the Editor. I'm not at the point where I feel comfortable hand crafting anything, though I will say I'm a master at the copy and paste technique! :) So I have this mission that someone made for me. It's excellent but it's on a map that although I adore (Kunduz), I've just played it to death.

I'd love to play it in a new Afghan setting. I'm thinking maybe Sangin or Takistan. I don't think this mission has any scripts involved or anything (though it could). Just ALiVE modules and syncing from what I can tell; and some vehicle placements/timeskip/BIS Arsenal/etc. But nothing too crazy I don't think. It's a basic Insurgency mission.

If I were to copy and paste everything from the Editor to a new map (bearing in mind I realize I'd probably have to drag a few things to appropriate places such as the FOB location, etc), could this for all intents and purposes work? Like literally a copy/paste job. Or is there more involved in what you guys call a "quick and dirty" edit?

2. Well , everything depends from mission itself. ALiVE uses objectives with they size and priority to places entities. From that it could be not working properly how it should according the mission creator mind.
    But you never knew until no try.

3. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks. That makes sense. But do I have the basic idea right? Just copy from the Kunduz map and paste onto, let's say, Sangin? While tinkering a bit for base and vehicle placement, etc? What's the "recommended" method of porting missions? What I described or an easier/harder way?

I've read about "quick and dirty" ports here before. Just want to make sure I have the basic concept right.

4. Copy paste is certainly the easiest.. as mentioned you'll need to adjust FOB placements and other map-specific things. Do an initial preview once you copy/paste will all debug turned on and you can make adjustments from there. Remember the HQ for each faction is placed near the actual module placement of the Military module (you will see this with debug on).

or Sign Up to reply!