Did someone post ALiVE to Steam Workshop (just a heads up)?

1. 8 years ago
    Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Just wanted to bring this to your attention. Not sure if this is sanctioned or not: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=590209473

Unless I'm missing something I think this is ALiVE itself and not a mod to use with it.

I'm not a home or near my PC. Am I losing my mind? ALiVE isn't on or even allowed on Workshop, right?

2. Yeah, that looks unofficial to me as well. I'd be pleasantly surprised if not though!

3. Yeah I just checked out the guy's profile. Definitely not official. He's been on Steam long enough to know better. Tisk tisk!

4. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Thanks for posting, it is not allowed to upload another's work without permission.

5. Friznit

3 Jan 2016 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by Friznit

Has been flagged for removal. This happens from time to time but you'd think people would have the courtesy to ask! Sadly Steam's T's & C's are pretty terrible for mod authors with unique Intellectual Property so we're not keen to share it with them just yet. And if we do, it will be with our own account so we can update it easily :)

6. Edited 8 years ago by jmlane

I assume the IP concerns are the same reason you don't have an open-source license and aren't using a public service like Github or BitBucket to manage your source, issues, and possible contributions? I'm particularly fond of that style of collaborative development so I'd love to see ALiVE relicense and/or move to an open repository for easier contributions in the future.

7. Github is being used, it's just private at this point.

8. Friznit

6 Jan 2016 Administrator

It's mainly been kept private for the sake of source control while we're in the dev phase. It's enough trouble trying to bug hunt and support one code branch, let alone several diverging branches during dev! That said, we've always been very open to people contributing - you don't need an open repo to do that, you just have to make something and jump in, just like Spyder did! After we've released 1.0 though we'll probably review the whole thing.

9. If ALiVE goes open source I guess SpyderAddons could be merged into ALiVE and could be done easily since both mods are modular :)

10. Friznit

12 Jan 2016 Administrator

Spyder's already on the ALiVE dev team - nothing stopping him merging it (as a lot of his stuff has been already)

11. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Bumped up from "Contributor" status I take it?

Nice!

as a lot of his stuff has been already)

Tease...

12. Friznit

12 Jan 2016 Administrator

No tease - all the command tablet stuff that's in the current version is his work :)

13. When if ever could we possibly expect an official release on steam?

14. Friznit

8 Feb 2016 Administrator

We'll put one on there once we've got 1.0 out the door, which will be very soon™

15. soon is trademarked by you guys lol

16. Friznit

11 Feb 2016 Administrator

Yep! Soon™ - When it's ready ;)

(It's on steam btw)

17. WTF Can't wait to get on and DL when I get home from work :D

or Sign Up to reply!