alive civi problem

1. 8 years ago

Been having trouble getting civilians to spawn in our missions, debug detects the towns as you can see in the picture but it fails to actually spawn any units.

Picture includes an error

-image-

The faction used in the picture was "CUP_C_TK" but we have tried vanilla and other factions.

Any info would be great thanks.

2. Make sure to include all objectives in your filtering for Civ Placement. If you filter out small objectives it is most likely passing all those areas as possible placements.

Dunno what it could be otherwise.

3. There's no filters set at all, i'l include a couple of pictures just to help.

-image-

-image-

4. Hmm. NO clue. I am sure some of the Devs with more of a clue will be along shortly though...

5. Edited 8 years ago by PillowTalk

It's the faction you selected.

CUP_C_TK (Takistan civilians) only has entries for VEHICLES; there are no actual people.

It also doesn't like to spawn a whole helluva lot of them, so if the vanilla ones aren't immediately there, just wait some time. Especially with no filters since it will need to look through all the buildings in the TAOR before doing anything with them.

6. @PillowTalk It's the faction you selected.

CUP_C_TK (Takistan civilians) only has entries for VEHICLES; there are no actual people.

It also doesn't like to spawn a whole helluva lot of them, so if the vanilla ones aren't immediately there, just wait some time. Especially with no filters since it will need to look through all the buildings in the TAOR before doing anything with them.

We don't even have the TK vehicles spawning and as i said before we even tried it with "civ_f" as well as cup chernarus and LoP civies, nothing spawns

7. Does it spawn any if you remove the TAOR marker (so it defaults to the entire map)?

Are there any messages upon mission init in sidechat (such as "No civilian locations were found..")?

Does it work fine for you on Altis or Stratis?

8. Tried Alits and Stratis, vanilla civilians are spawning fine.
    Altis with LOP civilians (LOP_TAK_Civ) works aswell.
    CUP Chernarus and Lingor A3 seems to be able to spawn vanilla civilians fine also.
    No vanilla civilians would spawn on Kunduz or Esseker with or without TOAR.
    Spyder addons civilians work on all maps so far.
    Also getting no radio warnings at all to indicate the problem.

so it seems to be a specific few custom maps that have the problem.

9. Are you using CUP or AiATP for the maps?

10. We are using CUP

11. On Esseker I have this problem as well. Doesn't affect military units, but civs men do not spawn even when using vanilla. Just the vehicles. I am also using CUP for the map base and it's the only map that is supported by ALIVE I have issues with.

12. It's possible that since switching to CUP, the map needs a reindex (even though, in theory, they should work fine).

13. I have done some civ placement module testing on several maps and have noticed problems on larger maps. On Altis most towns get civ spawns, but not all. This is true for civ placement without a TOAR. If you confine one of these no spawn areas to a small TOAR, then you get spawn. Messing with different size and numbers of TOARs have lead me to believe that somehow the civ placement module gets overwhelmed. If the number of settlements is too great, some are simply left out. On Takistan, you can cover about half of the map with consistent civ spawns. If you try to cover more than half, large gaps then appear.

14. Are you sure you aren't filtering out small priority/size objectives? There shouldn't be any issues with TAOR sizes (I haven't seen any either).

15. Edited 8 years ago by swatter555

I was on a limited device earlier which created a less than helpful post.

I just did a clean test on Altis, no mods except ALiVE. I put in the required modules plus civilian population and civilian placement. The parameters were default (no filtering both) except for placement level, which was set to extreme. No TOAR was defined.

The results were some major settlements were not recognized by placement module. According to the debug info on the map, the settlement just wasn't recognized. For a quick example, there is a settlement near the ruined castle named Oreokastro that is not recognized. Its a fairly sizable place.

Obviously when I run Takistan(CUP), I am using mods. In that case, I tested a great many parameters. I tested default tests, where I ran module defaults. I ran different TOARs and no TOARS. I didn't mess with the filters much, because I was not seeing settlements populated in the first place ;-)

In Takistan, it did recognize all the settlements that I checked. However, as I stated, it wasn't consistent with how it spawned civilians. It did spawn ambient vehicles without problems, though.

To be very specific on Takistan- I setup a civilian population and a placement module, the placement didn't have a TOAR. I went with default setting first and noticed many settlements were not populated at all. Some were and some weren't. The fairly large settlement near the airbase was barren, though the module detected it. It did populate the smaller settlements on either side of the deserted one, though.

This is where I started running various tests to figure out the problem. I then setup the placement module with a TOAR that encompassed a few settlements near the airbase (including the one that didn't spawn anything) and that was it. The result was that it perfectly spawned civilians in all the settlements within the TOAR.

So, then I added another TOAR to the module, one that included a few more settlements- it still worked perfectly. BUT the more settlements that I added to a TOAR, the more sparse all of them became. It reached a point when I covered half the settlements on the map with a TOAR and then the massive gaps began to appear in the TOARs (the same gaps that appeared in the no TOAR test).

This is what lead me to the conclusion that the civilian placement module reaches a saturation point where gaps begin to appear in the settlements, both in density and in location. Having said that, Altis seemed to handle the civilian modules much better.

16. Oreokastro not being recognized is just an indexing problem, it has never been an objective.

17. I suppose it is a problem with Takistan. I also noticed the military civilian objective modules were affected too. The spawning methods showed the same avoidance of certain areas. Perhaps something was messed up in transition to CUP.

18. highhead

9 Apr 2016 Administrator
    Edited 8 years ago by highhead

Oreokastro is an uninhabitated ghost town and therefor not indexed as an civilian objective.

I don't see any issues with CUP Takistan. No filters or TAORs used, Vanilla CIV_F faction for simplicity:

Civlian clusters:
    -image-

With civilians:
    -image-

19. highhead

9 Apr 2016 Administrator

PS: Kunduz doesn't work for civis yet - this will be working with upcoming patch

20. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@highhead Oreokastro is an uninhabitated ghost town and therefor not indexed as an civilian objective.

I don't see any issues with CUP Takistan. No filters or TAORs used, Vanilla CIV_F faction for simplicity:

Civlian clusters:
    -image-

With civilians:
    -image-

In theory, would AiA Takistan be populated the same?

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!