What if: No Ai Profile Module?

1. 8 years ago

I was wondering if it would be possible to make an ALIVE mission using just the commanders and placement modules, without the advanced profiling of unspawned units. Does it need the AI module to spawn AI in the first place, or is that just taking care of the ones that it keeps track of, but despawns to save performance?

If I can remove the background profiling, I think it would help speed it up for me (crap PC) and, maybe, not be storing as much so I could make it a single player scenario and use the save without it crashing (it crashes if I attempt to save normally as the wiki suggests it might lol). But I am not sure if that's how it works or not.

2. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Commanders require profiles to work. All of the code revolves around profiles. It wouldn't even get past initialization.

3. Edited 8 years ago by PillowTalk

Ah... Well, since that's not gonna work: What would be a good performance set up? The entire map is still used even if your TAOR markers only cover two towns or bases, right? They just won't start anywhere but the TAOR?

I have a pretty much perfect Insurgency set up on Takistan. It's not all-out war, but it's also not boring for really long periods of time. I am trying to get it to be similar on SMD Sahrani but it's like making too many guys. They shouldn't even be around Pariso, but as soon as I start they have my BLUFOR base surrounded with artillery. Not only is it just chaos, it's also really slow. I know I can handle this map with a few hundred AI; but not a few *thousand.*

On Takistan, I just have two TAOR markers: One for the US base, and a blacklist for the civs to not spawn inside that base. The Assymetrical force uses the whole map other than the blu's taor. They really only start to show up hostile when you get near where I set the Assymetrical commander's module. But on Sahrani, they don't seem to start there and spread out, they are just everywhere.

4. The single best performance change you can make IMO to an existing mission (in other words, without changing the spirit of a mission drastically) would be to use the AI Limiter. I find 15-20 to be a good place to put it.

5. The entire map is still used even if your TAOR markers only cover two towns or bases, right?

No, objectives only cover the areas in which placement modules are set to spawn units/objectives. Profiles still have the ability to move anywhere they are commanded to patrol/attack/defend. But they won't just be sent off to a random area that isn't near an objective.

For performance improvements, you can try filtering out low priority/size filter objectives in the placement modules.

6. Deleted 8 years ago by PillowTalk
  7. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Remember, the mission may technically have "thousands" of soldiers and whatnot but they all become virtualized when outside a defined range and will never all be present all at once (the AI Limiter).

8. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

But on Sahrani, they don't seem to start there and spread out, they are just everywhere.

Even when using the asymmetric setting for an AI commander, the placement modules handling the spawning of profiles so you must restrict them using TAOR's/Blacklists if you want them to be confined in a certain area.

9. Alright. Does the debugging say the size of a given objective? Would help to know what each objective is classified as to perfect this mission. Wouldn't want to set it to "large only" just to find that only 2 bases are objectives now. lol

10. Debugging displays size/priority, forgot the order in which it displays them.

11. http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/FAQ#What_do_the_numbers_mean_.2850.7C150.29_next_to_the_placement_modules_in_debug.3F

12. I was thinking: If I want to contain the armies but only at the start, so they start with just a single occupied base, but have to spread out and capture more over time would this set up work:

1 TAOR marker over a base for each OPCOM with a Military Objective module set to place units in that TAOR.

Several other TAOR markers over cities and other bases, with a Military and Civilian Objective module for each side set to only task objectives without placing units only in the "empty" TAORs.

Because I want them to use all or at least most of the map, but still only start with a single objective area, base or city and then spread out to capture everything (if they can).

13. Yes, that would work.

or Sign Up to reply!