4 Squads per Objective Limit?

1. 8 years ago

Hey guys,

im pretty new to Alive and i have been trying to build this basic mission for hours now (with Eden):

• Opfor and Blufor have 1 Base each for reinforcements, they should not be attacked by each other
    • In the Middle both try to capture an important target, lets say a military base, with all of their available forces (max 30% at base)
    • With frequent reinforcements i want a constant battle over the military base.
    • to make it simple: 20 infantry squads per side.

I tried so many combination and variations and settings with military, civilian and custom objectives and i am far away from that what i want.

Basically what i get: 4 squads attacking the military base for each objective that is on it.

so when i place a custom objective: max 4 squads per side( even with super big size and uber priority).
    when i place a military objective with taor over military base i get 4 squads for each objective "in the military base" (per side).

When i start with 20 squads on each side this means 16 squads or 12 squads (1 or 2 objectives) stay in base for each side..
    But what i want is a massive onslaught with at least 16 of the 20 squads per side.

so is there like a limit to 4 squads per objective or so? i cant seem to get more to attack a single objective.
    when i put down more custom objectives in the same area i can nearly get all squads to attack, like i want it.

i made a sample mission on stratis with no additional mods, so just @cba and @alive:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8h973msjkondjcl/alive_basic_tvt.Stratis.zip?dl=0

just delete the custom objectives in the middle and you should only see max 4 squads per side to attack the military objective. with 5 objectives in the middle i can get them nearly all to attack.

thanks in advance

2. Yes, there is a maximum amount of groups sent to each objective, this number varies based on OPCOM control type (invasion is more, occupation is less). If you want many groups to go to one location then place a few custom objects on top of eachother so each one gets 4 groups sent to it.

3. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Olonson and I were PM'ing last night a bit Spyder and that did fix his issue. :) Good to know how that works. I'd say this could be marked as solved assuming he didn't have any follow up questions.

4. Friznit

19 Apr 2016 Administrator

It's something that's been on our wishlist for OPCOM enhancements for a long time. OPCOM already knows the state of enemy forces at each objective and also knows what group types and numbers are in its own force pool, so it's not inconceivable to add a line to the analysis cycle for it to assign a relevant balance of forces to the attack task.

The trickier bit is keeping it balanced by ensuring OPCOM can only know the enemy state from realistic intelligence sources and if not, it issues a recce task prior to the assault task. This is technically conceivable but could add a significant overheard which might impact performance.

As an aside, I've always wanted player tasks to hook into an enhanced OPCOM cycle so you could take part in the recces, assault, defend or even logistics task instead of or alongside the AI. Maybe one day :)

5. Edited 7 years ago by Olonson

Well so i did a 40min testrun today.

in the beginning both sides attacked the central objectives with about 70% of their forces.(i made a ridiculous high amount of 10 custom objectives on top of each other)

Opfor lost the first battle which took like 20-30min and then they decided to only defend their base with all Squads. In the last 10 minutes there was only 1 single opfor squad (of over 20 in the base)sent to the central objectives.

But since i didnt sync the AI commanders with the enemy's base, they will not attack it, and the fight was kinda over. peace :)

other things that are not working like i personally would prefer it for this kind of mission:
    1. choose the type of reinforcement (paradrop, spawn, maybe convoy?):
    my problem: paradrop is very buggy in cities(vehicles land on roofs, flip etc) or near water sources like oceans and lakes.

2. more flexibility how often( e.g. more delay on jet and tanks than on inf) reinforcements come and what and how many should be spawned .
    my problem: i would like to have a permanent amount of troops on the battlefield of both sides. e.g. 1-2 jets per side, 1-2 helicopters and so on. in 5 hours of testing i have never seen a commander call in a jet, artillery, helicopter,.. only inf mobilized mechanized and armored are working for me. will i need to place them manually in editor and let them be virtualized before they are able to be called on reinforcements?

bugs?:
    3. Specially when using CUP i noticed that the paradropped vehicles often(more than 50% of the time) spawn without driver or that there are empty parashoots in the sky. sometimes i see AI fall down without parashoots. This sometimes comes with a script error i have not yet taken a screenshot of. something with fnc get speed or so...
    with vanilla gear i have only seen it 1-2 times.

thanks in advance and keep on the good work.

6. Military AI Commanders mostly call in air support on vehicles. If there is a tank column bearing down on friendly forces who are in need of assistance, then air assets might be called in. Air vehicles do not need to be manually placed to be called in for support, but it may increase your chances of seeing it happen.

or Sign Up to reply!