Profiling speed. Anyone turn it off?

1. 7 years ago

So I was watching Dyslexi's recon video and it got me thinking that I don't do nearly enough recon in ALiVE. I guess because it feels like the default increased speeds within ALiVE sort of make it seem like the objective might not be there after you go back to base and collect your troops/gear/etc. I have it at 50% currently but do any of you use "none?"

Would results be weird or would I see anything strange in an Assymetric mission by letting all profiles move in "real time?"

2. IIRC there was a recent fix for profile speeds (it wasn't really working properly before). Remember this is only for virtual groups.. so I can't see any problems with running them at 'full speed'.

3. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I personally find 50-75% to be the best options because it slows them down to sort of account for them being able to move over water/through terrain.

Also know that 100% is 100% of the unit's maximum speed, so 100% will be faster than most units would move at any given time when spawned in.

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks guys. So 50% moves them slower than 75%, correct? ( EDIT: I see you clarified that 100% is the fastest possible option.)

Is recon a pretty viable tactic at 50% speed? Basically, let's say I unvirtualize them by getting close to their location so they're now at normal human speed. But when I go back to base to get my gear, they may virtualize again depending on the distance. You think generally there's a pretty decent chance they'd still be there when I get back assuming the AI commander doesn't have an urgent objective to send them too?

5. Most of my playtime is spent doing recon style stuff. Generally if you focus on a location that's likely to have traffic then the movement speed isn't as much of a factor. For example, if you're observing a military base, as well as anyone occupying it, the chances are units will show up at some point. Same deal with main roads. If vehicles are going to move through an area when ALiVE spawns them in they'll move to the nearest road and move along that... Where you will be waiting. With binoculars. And lotsa lotsa boom boom. I do tend to use either 50% or 75% though just because I prefer that pace. Otherwise after a few hours of playing an AI commander can just take over the world it seems!

6. Cool! Thanks everyone! I'll leave it where I have it (50%).

or Sign Up to reply!