Ai Commander and Air Assets

1. 7 years ago

Do Ai commanders use air assets? as iv placed air units through the military placement module however I never see the Ai commander use them and they just sit in the base doing nothing. I'm new to Arma mission editing and only started using ALiVE so please forgive me if I missed something but the only way I see air assets in use is when I request combat support.

2. Commanders prioritize air assets to enemy vehicle threats. If your troops scout out enemy armor and aren't equipped to handle them. they will notify the commander which will attempt to pull any available air assets and task them to deal with the threat.

3. Edited 7 years ago by HcavJ

Ah okay makes total sense now, Its the AAF against the FIA insurgency... Also is it possible for the AI troops to call CAS/Art support? or is it a player only option?

Edit: as in troops are pinned down in a town vs various infantry groups and need fire support

4. What I usually do when I want to make sur the enemy to have alot of helicopters, is manually placing a decent amount of helicopters, syncing them to the virtual AI module and then putting them outside the map or somewhere I know we won't go. At least for me it feels like the amount of helicopters we face increases. If you want more helicopters in general that is.

Onto the second post, I believe that the opposite AI-commander won't use CAS/artillery support as such, but if you place down or make sure there is artillery of some sort close to eventual combat-zones, that might work, at least me and my group usually get's annihilated when we unexpectedly run into mortar camps.

5. Most AI mods will allow active units to call in any existing artillery units in range, vanilla BIS AI typically don't do this themselves.

AI can call in CAS though if they are severely overwhelmed.

6. @SpyderBlack723 Most AI mods will allow active units to call in any existing artillery units in range, vanilla BIS AI typically don't do this themselves.

Oh, interesting.

7. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SpyderBlack723 Most AI mods will allow active units to call in any existing artillery units in range, vanilla BIS AI typically don't do this themselves.

Interesting. So am I reading right enemy AI can call in CAS support? Could someone clarify how to set this up? Would this happen organically based on the assets I let spawn or do I need to use combat support modules for the enemy AI-only OPCOM?

I'd assumed those were for the player only.

Example: I'm making a "showcase" ALiVE mission on Altis. OPF_F vs BLU_F. OPFOR currently has an OPCOM, synced to Military Logistics, mil/civ/cust obj modules.

The player side has Combat Support modules but I'd assumed these were for the players only.

How can I ensure OPFOR has CAS choppers? The same way as I do it for the player?

8. If OPCOM controls air assets, it will use them for known enemies. Just have placement modules spawn ambient air or place them manually.

9. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

OPCOM isn't using air assets at all when playing against an enemy in insurgency mode. They sit on the Tarmac unless they get shot at, and if they do get shot at they just take off and hover, and never land.

Maybe it would be worth investing some bandwidth into making the OPCOM have helicopters loiter around high priority targets, at the very least. Same as foot patrols. At the most... OPCOM could keep CAS up for support requests from any known troops in contact, order air to conduct ISR (which is 99% of what they actually do over there), and utilize air transport for the infantry. But I know that's far out with ArmA... right now the AI won't even get in GROUND vehicles for transport unless they started in them :(

10. Atm CAS prioritizes vehicle targets, which insurgencies lack most of the time.

We have all the ideas in the world, but materializing them takes time, a lot of it, which we lack right now.

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/issues/4

or Sign Up to reply!