How to make two factions fight eachother *IN REALTIME*

1. 7 years ago

So I'm not sure how active this forum is but it's my best bet. I'm completely new to ALiVE and I want to know if there's a way to set up modules to where there are two sides who are constantly fighting over towns and retaking towns etc etc. That said, I want this to be a server where players can join in on the fight and join either faction. Is this a possibility? I'd assume it is but I just don't know how to do it.

Thanks,

Aaron

2. Hi,
    This is totally possible with ALiVE. I would recommend downloading the demo mission pack from alivemod.com/missions/ and taking a look at Operation landlord, triple threat, and some of the others. The wiki at alivemod.com/wiki/ also has some great information on how ti setup a quick example mission and how to best use modules to your preference.

3. That's good to know. But just to further state what I'm trying to do I will provide an example.

BLUFOR occupies Cherno OPFOR notices that, and attacks Cherno. They take Chero and push up north as well as pushing BLUFOR farther back.

Is it still possible to do it like that?

Thanks,

Aaron

P.S. Lets Go Mets. @Cubs avatar

4. First of all, Mets suck ;)

This is exactly what the ALiVE Operation Commander (OPCOM/Military AI Commander) is for. If OPFOR and BLUFOR are both aware of the same objective, they will both attempt to occupy it. If BLUFOR gains controls of the objective and OPFOR sends in a force to capture it, BLUFOR will send in any additional free groups to help drive back OPFOR forces. This can occur with objectives all over the map such as all towns and military bases.

5. Edited 7 years ago by Aaronpierce

Yeah the Mets are doing terrible right now. Arietta is kicking some butt as a pitcher for the Cubs I can tell you that.

I still withhold a bit of confusion. So I place down the Military AI Commander. Does that mean I place down another one for the OPFOR as well if the first one is set up for BLUFOR? Another question, when I put these modules down, is that really all I have to do and will the objectives automatically spawn to where each side goes after it?

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Not really. It's a bit more complicated than that. Do as Spyder suggested and download some of the sample missions and also read through the wiki so you understand the basic concepts. From there we can help you work on the finer details getting the mission to do exactly what you want it to do.

7. Well, I did download the missions and they do seem FANTASTIC but in the Operation Overlord one do the AI go to constant war with eachother? I haven't seen too much of it yet.

8. It would be helpful if you could be a little more specific, and also clarify what you're expectations of "constant war" is.

What I'm thinking is, it seems like you want to make a mission, yes? Or were you looking to just download one pre-made and play?

If you're looking to make something, read through the wiki and especially the QuickStart portion of the wiki. Try your best to get a general understanding of how the modules work, how syncing modules work, and how to properly use markers. Then use the missions you've downloaded as a resource to see the concepts in practice. From that point, any answers to any specific questions you have about making the kind of battle you want will make more sense to you.

Not that teaching people who know nothing about ALiVE isn't welcome here (it is), it's just none of it would really make sense to you without a decent understanding of how ALiVE works and what ALiVE is designed to do.

What are you looking to do? Make a mission or download a mission? And what do you want that mission to be like?

9. Since OP landlord uses the entire map combat is harder to find because of how stupidly large Altis is. Triple Threat constrains the action a bit more so that combat is nearly constant with a ton of enemies for you to engage.

Essentially you place down a commander for each side, then two objective modules for each side (one military placement and one civilian mil placement). You sync each objective modules to each commander so that all commanders are aware of the objectives that the placement module generates you can constrain where placement modules generate objectives by using rectangle/ellipse TAOR and/or blacklist markers.

Then place down an ALIVE Required and Virtual AI System module and you have a basic mission going on where the two commanders will fight eachother for the available objectives.

10. Edited 7 years ago by Aaronpierce

@HeroesandvillainsOS 
    I am looking to build a mission and I completely understand where you're getting at with the whole "do it yourself but with our knowledge and guidance" way of thinking. I completely agree as well.

@SpyderBlack723
    Sweet I will definitely try that. Since I have looked and messed around with OP Landlord I have learned a bit. But I do have one question regarding the objectives, can I just do it to where it whitelists the whole map to spawn objectives or do I have to make markers and whitelist them TAOR in the ALiVE module?

One more question, I tried to add the RHS military guys in OP Landlord and it wouldn't change. I made sure the NATO was changed to NONE and I put on the bottom the class name for the US Army. Am I doing something wrong there?

Thanks,

Aaron

11. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

If there is no white list then it defaults to the entire map.

You also need to change the faction class name in the objective placement modules. In that mission there are two for NATO and two for CSAT

12. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Aaronpierce

Oh hey man. Sorry if I came across as not wanting to help you. I definitely do and have no problems posting in detail how to set up a mission (such as Spyder did above). I guess I was looking more for clarification and I can see how it might have come across as me telling you to do homework first.

Sorry if it sounded that way.

13. I am thinking of putting up a server like this to where anyone can join the battle. I'm wondering, is there something out there that is like a plugin for a website that updates a picture of a map constantly to where people can see who's winning the war or do you think that's something I need to code?

14. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

You can checkout the ALiVE Warroom AAR

or Sign Up to reply!