Profiling Units - Incorrect Spawning

1. 7 years ago

I'm working on a mission in ALiVE, making my own custom side-objective. No matter if I sync the units to the Virtual AI module or if I press the admin actions profile button, once I get in-game, the units re-spawn in the incorrect position. Sometimes several meters away which severely hinders my ability to then make those custom objectives, other than using plain-old AI patrols.

This is especially an issue because if I spawn some units in with Zeus for a specific side-mission on the fly and then decide to profile them, all of my vehicles at my base move around erratically. Boats come out of the water, etc. It's a big issue for me.

Below is a screenshot I have prepared as an example.

-image-

2. I generally don't profile anything I don't want to move. Not only for vehicles but units at custom objectives too.

For some custom objectives when I just need them in a general location, I'll use a cust obj module set to spawn units (let's say 2 infantry with the other overrides at 0), and then usually put them at 25-50% readiness which seems to work better than 100% readiness for garrisoning.

But if I need them in an exact spot for whatever purpose, I just manually place them and leave them unprofiled. The same goes for vehicles. Almost every vehicle I manually place that needs to be driven never gets profiled.

3. @HeroesandvillainsOS  I generally don't profile anything I don't want to move. Not only for vehicles but units at custom objectives too.

For some custom objectives when I just need them in a general location, I'll use a cust obj module set to spawn units (let's say 2 infantry with the other overrides at 0), and then usually put them at 25-50% readiness which seems to work better than 100% readiness for garrisoning.

But if I need them in an exact spot for whatever purpose, I just manually place them and leave them unprofiled. The same goes for vehicles. Almost every vehicle I manually place that needs to be driven never gets profiled.

So it's best not to use the profile units admin action when I spawn Zeus units? Hm. Bummer.

4. It's definitely possible a dev may have an idea for you so I wouldn't close the book on this just yet. But in my experience, profiled units and vehicles absolutely will not spawn in an exact location.

If you need precision, profiling the units won't accomplish that from what I've seen. They just get more or less in the general ballpark.

5. Heroes is correct (cookie for you!) - when profiled, units do not spawn back in their 'exact' place as the function that respawns them looks for a clear, flat-enough area. For units you need in specific spots it's best to just not profile them.

6. @SavageCDN Heroes is correct (cookie for you!) - when profiled, units do not spawn back in their 'exact' place as the function that respawns them looks for a clear, flat-enough area. For units you need in specific spots it's best to just not profile them.

Thank you for the replies.

Are there future plans to make profiled units spawn more precisely? Like objects when you save the server and exit, etc.

7. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

A big problem is that on larger maps, the farther you move from [0,0,0], the less precise position vectors get as numbers are rounded.

Take Stratis for example, vehicles spawn in the exact spot they were despawned. This is not the case for Altis.

Another potential issue is the createVehicle command which automatically offsets vehicles spawned near eachother in order to prevent explosions. However, this might be creating issues for vehicles spawned in the vicinity of eachother, but not necessarily on top of one another. So we could get around that, but it could also create issues for vehicle groups where they share the same virtual position and spawning them in an exact position could cause problems.

Will need to look at the code to see if anything can be done properly.

or Sign Up to reply!