Ambient Dynamic (Real) Weather - cycle delay jumped from 1800s to 30000s

1. 7 years ago

Hey,

I placed an ambient dynamic weather module in the mission I'm creating and then went on to test how it's working in dedicated server conditions. As per set in the module itself the countdown to weather change began from 1800 seconds (30 minutes) at the start of the mission. I spent the next 30 minutes following the debug output from the module and there it was pushing updated data to the server as expected.

Then at the 30 minute mark the output stopped for few minutes (can't say for certain for how long actually but it was longer than one minute) and then when the weather output continued to flow again I was shown this:

19:21:10 "Module ALiVE_sys_weather [SERVER] OVERCAST: 0.340072, NEXTWEATHERCHANGE IN: 30118.5 SECONDS (501.97 MINUTES)"

Is such behaviour expected/this is working as intended? I was certainly expecting the second cycle to be 1800 seconds (30 minutes) as I have set here:

-image-

2. Not sure if it's related but you don't have "Real" selected in the module.

Also, coordinates are acceptable, rather than COUNTRY/CITY (IE AFGHANISTAN/KABUL)?

3. Edited 7 years ago by Asmodeus

@HeroesandvillainsOS  Not sure if it's related but you don't have "Real" selected in the module.

*facepalm* @me
    Thanks for pointing those out. I'm certain (certainly certain!) that there was only "the normal" climate and override settings that have been there for what.. 2 years? I didn't see any "real" settings in the dropdown menus I swear! :P

@HeroesandvillainsOS Also, coordinates are acceptable, rather than COUNTRY/CITY (IE AFGHANISTAN/KABUL)?

According to ALiVE wiki - Weather coordinates should be acceptable

Examples: CA/San_Franciso, England/London, Afghanistan/Kabul, autoip (uses server location), 37.776289,-122.395234 (latitude,longitude).

I'm off to test the real weather for the next 30 minutes now that I got all the correct settings set x) Thanks Heroes!

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

No problem.

I wrote Afghanistan/Kabul as "AFGHANISTAN/KABUL" in all caps in my missions.

Is that a problem? Do they need to be lowercase and capitalized as nouns?

5. @HeroesandvillainsOS  No problem.

I wrote Afghanistan/Kabul as "AFGHANISTAN/KABUL" in all caps in my missions.

Is that a problem? Do they need to be lowercase?

I think it would be for the best to ping one of the devs about that. The wiki can be somewhat contradicting
    when there's examples written in all caps and then again not. See:

"Enter a COUNTRY/CITY"

and

"Examples: CA/San_Franciso, England/London,"

If there is somekind of difference in how something is written then it should be explicitly stated which is the correct way.

I made another half an hour test and the result is still that after the first cycle the second one will already be something different than what is set in the module, see:

21:00:23 "Module ALiVE_sys_weather [SERVER] OVERCAST: 0.450023, NEXTWEATHERCHANGE IN: 26400.3 SECONDS (440.01 MINUTES)"

This is what I had set for the second test mission
    -image-

6. Good idea. @Tupolov is "AFGHANISTAN/KABUL" acceptable or does it have to be "Afghanistan/Kabul"?

Also, if Weather Climate is set to "Real", but Weather Override is left blank, does it default to using the game time or does that option need to have a dropdown selected?

7. Casing shouldn't matter.

8. Tupolov

11 Jan 2017 Administrator

Location is not case sensitive.

You have to set Weather Climate to REAL.

Weather Override will simply use the real time from your server right now. We don't recommend this.

For example, you are playing a day time mission in takistan and you select afghanistan/kandahar as the location. By default it get the game time weather for kandarhar.

If you select Weather Override for real time and your server is in Chicago, it will get the weather in Kandahar for the real local time in Chicago (not game time). So if your game time is noon and the real time in Chicago is 7pm, it will get the weather in Kandahar at 7pm. This obviously will be a bit weird.

Hope that makes sense.

9. Tupolov

11 Jan 2017 Administrator

Oh and real weather ignores the weather cycles and just lets BIS weather system do its thing,

10. Yes that's very clear. Thanks guys.

11. @Tupolov Location is not case sensitive.

You have to set Weather Climate to REAL.

Weather Override will simply use the real time from your server right now. We don't recommend this.

For example, you are playing a day time mission in takistan and you select afghanistan/kandahar as the location. By default it get the game time weather for kandarhar.

If you select Weather Override for real time and your server is in Chicago, it will get the weather in Kandahar for the real local time in Chicago (not game time). So if your game time is noon and the real time in Chicago is 7pm, it will get the weather in Kandahar at 7pm. This obviously will be a bit weird.

Hope that makes sense.

I emptied the Weather Override field in the hopes of maybe seeing the weather cycle work as expected but no. Got served with a 400 minute weather change cycle after the first 30 minute cycle.

@Tupolov Oh and real weather ignores the weather cycles and just lets BIS weather system do its thing,

So are you saying that if the BIS weather cycle is set to 30 minutes as per default (see the picture below)-image-
    and ALiVE doesn't follow that nor it's OWN cycle delay it's just "BIS weather system doing its thing"?? Why even implement such functionality if it's known from the get-go that IF the functionality doesn't work it must be BIS' fault.

I've been here trying to get somekind of change to show up in the in-game weather with 5 or 6 different world coordinates and typing Switzerland/Zurich (all locations where there should be raining as I type) but no matter what the weather is always the same: which is clear (with a chance of meatballs).

ps. btw. are you supposed to write Zurich OR Zürich

*yawn

or Sign Up to reply!