ALiVE Player Combat Support and Iron Front artillery pieces

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by Asmodeus

Should there be somekind of compatibility with the ALiVE Player Combat Support module and Iron Front (lite) artillery pieces?

Even though the artillery pieces spawn as expected but when asking for a fire mission they never fire a single round in-between the messaging about the fire mission and up until

"Alpha 1-1, Battery ALPHA 4-3 is ready for fire mission. Out"

I tested this with two different methods and both return the same outcome:

First I placed a Player Combat Support (Artillery) module and placed both (not at the same time duh) LIB_BM37 (Soviet mortar) and LIB_GRWR34 (Germany mortar) in the Arty/Mortar type -field. Then I synced PCS (Artillery) with the main PCS module. Tested both mortar types in the game where I could see that even if the artillery pieces aimed themselves towards the target they never fired a single round.

Then I placed three mortar units by hand in the editor, synced them to Player Combat Support and placed these lines in the init-field of the mortar "vehicles":

this setvariable ["CS_TYPE","ARTY"]; this setvariable ["CS_ARTILLERY_HE","50"];

then off to test again and same result as in the first case.

Do you @ALiVEdevs have any insight to share here that is it even possible to use ALiVE + IFlite artillery assets together at the moment?

2. I may be wrong, but I think the entire Artillery combat support system is kind of unreliable and broken at the moment. I believe it's being completely rewritten.

3. Friznit

11 Jan 2017 Administrator

It's never worked well with mods. It only seems to like vanilla stuff or mods which are derived directly from vanilla artillery/mortar units.

4. Havent tried latest updatw but just prior (December) vanilla mortars weren't working, they would only fire one round each regardless of how many requested. The same happened with RHS towed arty (M118/D30). I know at least a few versions ago these all seemed t9 work.

Strangely, Unsung mod's US 107mm mortars will fire all rounds requested. They do have a much higher rate of fire than vanilla though, which may be relevant. I noticed the vanilla mortars fire their one round, act like their aiming again then stop, almost lile not being able to immediately fire causes them to abort. Odd though since the SPA pieces work without a hitch.

5. @BvB Havent tried latest updatw but just prior (December) vanilla mortars weren't working, they would only fire one round each regardless of how many requested. The same happened with RHS towed arty (M118/D30). I know at least a few versions ago these all seemed t9 work.

Strangely, Unsung mod's US 107mm mortars will fire all rounds requested. They do have a much higher rate of fire than vanilla though, which may be relevant. I noticed the vanilla mortars fire their one round, act like their aiming again then stop, almost lile not being able to immediately fire causes them to abort. Odd though since the SPA pieces work without a hitch.

I ran a @CBA_A3 + @ALiVE test with vanilla BLUFOR mortars by placing a Player Combat Support (Artillery) with B_Mortar_01_F in the Arty/Mortar type -field and then syncing the module with Player Combat Support module. Then fired up the mission and:
    can confirm that the mortars fire only one round each and then turn idle while the messaging about the fire mission continues until the end.

So, any ideas what to use in the meantime when (HOPEFULLY) the artillery module makes a return in better than ever shape? In my opinion ALiVE's version is hands down best implementation because it doesn't involve scripting, setting up static target points or tbh not much setting up at all, is user friendly + the precision of fire is spot on for my taste at least: not pinpoint accuracy but not too inaccurate either.

And what about Iron Front lite then when the new and awesome artillery module comes available? Probably won't work with its artillery pieces? Is there something I could do for you dear devs? Maybe make contact with the IFl team and ask if they could do "these three things" so that their stuff would work seamlessly with ALiVE?

or Sign Up to reply!