Garbage Collector Info

1. 7 years ago

Hi!
    I'm having a problem running a mission on a dedicated Server.
    First to say is that I run the Dedicated Server with the same Machine that I use to connect to it and play.
    The problem is that when the mission Start I have 50/60 FPS steady and clean, but as long as the mission go on, the FPS slowly go down and down and down.... Finally I've reached 20 Fps...
    I'm starting to think that the mission, even if I don't have units spawned around me, it become heavy and heavy and heavy storing some kind of data...
    No reason to have 50 FPS at first and then 20 FPS with the same situation...

My Spec are:

i7-4770K
    Asus GTX 970
    16 Gb Ram

Virtual System spec are setted with a maximum of 15 units groups to be spawned at any one time.

Any idea?

Maybe bad Garbage collector functioning?

2. A few things I have found that can definitely help keep your FPS up on your server.

1. Use a Headless Client-I have one HC in every mission I play on our dedi. Really helps take the load off of the server.

2. Make as many objects "simple" objects as possible when building compositions, bases, etc.

3. Try to keep players in the same area if possible. WIth ALiVE, the benefit is in the fact that it can cache profiles once they are a certain distance away from the players...keeping your FPS high.

However, if you have players spread all over the map..you're going to see 2-3x the number of profiles spawning in, which will obviously affect performance.

4. You can adjust the Garbage collector to clean up more objects and at a faster pace. I typically set it to a limit of 60-70 and a timeframe of 200. (Default is 100 and 300 I believe). I also have had no issues with the Garbage collector working appropriately.

Using these suggestions...my Server FPS rarely drops below 38ish and typically stays in the 40-50 range. The only time it dips below that is if I have players engaged in different parts of the map or the AI logistics have 10 helicopters dropping troops in at the same time (which does happen from time to time).

3. Just to add to what AUT said sometimes a large mod list can cause slowdowns like this - perhaps post what mods you are using and the startup parameters of your server. Also if you are running the dedi on the same machine as your client make sure they are assigned different cores.

4. @AUTigerGrad A few things I have found that can definitely help keep your FPS up on your server.

1. Use a Headless Client-I have one HC in every mission I play on our dedi. Really helps take the load off of the server.

2. Make as many objects "simple" objects as possible when building compositions, bases, etc.

3. Try to keep players in the same area if possible. WIth ALiVE, the benefit is in the fact that it can cache profiles once they are a certain distance away from the players...keeping your FPS high.

However, if you have players spread all over the map..you're going to see 2-3x the number of profiles spawning in, which will obviously affect performance.

4. You can adjust the Garbage collector to clean up more objects and at a faster pace. I typically set it to a limit of 60-70 and a timeframe of 200. (Default is 100 and 300 I believe). I also have had no issues with the Garbage collector working appropriately.

Using these suggestions...my Server FPS rarely drops below 38ish and typically stays in the 40-50 range. The only time it dips below that is if I have players engaged in different parts of the map or the AI logistics have 10 helicopters dropping troops in at the same time (which does happen from time to time).

Reading the guide for HC right now :)

@SavageCDN Just to add to what AUT said sometimes a large mod list can cause slowdowns like this - perhaps post what mods you are using and the startup parameters of your server. Also if you are running the dedi on the same machine as your client make sure they are assigned different cores.

Ok now it's ankward for me hehehe... The mod list is pretty huge:

CBA
    CBA_A3
    RHS_AFRF
    RHS_USAF
    RHS_GREF
    Dynasound
    AdvancedRappelling
    ALiVE (off course)
    BabeMidText
    ACE3

The Startup parameters you mean the write in the shortcut?

If yes, there ais only "Mod=@Blabla;@Blublu;@Loffpsdamnit"

For the differents core, this will be the first try!

5. @Racetrack Reading the guide for HC right now :)

Ok now it's ankward for me hehehe... The mod list is pretty huge:

CBA
    CBA_A3
    RHS_AFRF
    RHS_USAF
    RHS_GREF
    Dynasound
    AdvancedRappelling
    ALiVE (off course)
    BabeMidText
    ACE3

10 mods....My friend.....trust me when I say..your mod list is fine.

I typically run 14+ mods of varying size on my missions. I have some that are over 20+.

6. @AUTigerGrad 10 mods....My friend.....trust me when I say..your mod list is fine.

I typically run 14+ mods of varying size on my missions. I have some that are over 20+.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOL
    AHAHHA

7. Also...I just reread that you play on the same machine that host with your Dedi. That right there is going to affect performance due to your CPU usage and memory usage being much higher right off the bat.

Its fine if you are playing on your own...but I definitely recommend using a separate machine for your dedi if you play with a group of people. Your performance will be much much better.

8. @AUTigerGrad Also...I just reread that you play on the same machine that host with your Dedi. That right there is going to affect performance due to your CPU usage and memory usage being much higher right off the bat.

Its fine if you are playing on your own...but I definitely recommend using a separate machine for your dedi if you play with a group of people. Your performance will be much much better.

Off course, im looking forward to buy a new machine for our dedi.. (We are only 4 guys) eheh.
    I'll try to set up different affinities for both arma3server.exe and arma3.exe

or Sign Up to reply!