CAS + Laser Designator = FUN

1. 7 years ago

We were on our server last night (only 3 of us) so we decided to go on a small recon patrol in the area...ended up getting surrounded by probably 70-80 Taliban.

So we called in the A-10.

Many Taliban died.

2. lol that's awesome. Makes me wish 3CB had a plane I could use in my Takistan mission. There's decent room on the NE airfield to have an A-10 on hand like that for sure.

The ambient sounds are pretty sweet in that video too. Good job.

3. Awesome! I was just wondering is it only the NATO designator that works for painting targets?

4. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I just had a talk with incontinentia about this, kinda. Using them confuses me too. I think any designator should work but I'm not 100% on that and would love clarification. Also, apparently if I understand how laser designators function, there are no special instructions. No pressing T or anything. Just aim at it and the plane does the rest I guess. Is that true? It seems to be true when I've tested it but it's tough to say if it's placebo.

In his video, for instance, I see a red battery icon on the designator screen. Is that an ACE feature or something or do I need to somehow turn the vanilla designators on somehow?

5. It's very simple.

We use ACE so you have to have Laser Designator batteries in your inventory as well.

Simply point your designator at your target/building, etc. and press the fire button. You'll see the laser icon activate in the top of the designator. Hold it there. As long as your Air Support is in the air, they'll see the target and proceed to drop a whole heap of badazzery on said target. As long as you have the laser active, the ALiVE CAS will continue to bomb that target until it runs out of ammo. Once you're done, just press fire again to turn the laser off.

We have been using the A-10 to assist in destroying Taliban installations on our server in our current mission. Lots of fun! It also works with Human pilots as well of course. Works with Helos, Planes, etc.

6. Thank you for the breakdown! I didn't know I needed to "fire." Goes to show you that planes can still cause hell without targets being properly lasered, but it's nice to know I can get more precise with it. I appreciate it.

or Sign Up to reply!