Claiming Objectives (SOLVED)

1. 9 years ago

So, I've set up a fairly simple mission with two opposing factions. I have one faction spawn in a marker which is set on top of an airfield (faction A) and the other spawns across the map in civilian objectives (faction B).

The faction controlling civilian objectives is set to occupation and the faction on the airfield is set to invasion. Now, the units seem to move correctly, attacking objectives, etc., but I'm curious if I understand the way these factions treat objectives is correct. If faction A kills all of faction B's units in a civilian objective marker, will faction A take control of it, thereby moving the battle lines?

Or am I misunderstanding, and the objectives that one side controls at the beginning is all they can ever actually control?

2. I would like to know this as well.

3. 8 years ago

Re-opening an old thread because as a newbie, this is something I just can't figure out. Is a trigger required to make an ALiVE objective change hands? If so, Am I right in assuming that there would be a scripted action to delete the sync from one faction's placement module and replace it with the occupying side?

Mind you, my scripting skills are pretty close to non-existent so I don't even know if that's possible. All of my mission building to date has relied solely upon built-in functionality. If such a script exists, I would love it if someone could post an example.

TIA

4. Edited 8 years ago by Fuhajins

For the first post, you'll need A faction to have at least 5 squads/groups. The invasion commander will at least let one squad/group occupy and defend his initial ground (he will also generate small patrols) then he will pick 2 to 4 groups (one platoon) to move near and approach the B faction OBJ.

At this point, if he lacks troops he will call for more (?) and then launch the "final" assault. Usually i see the AI attacking with one Platoon (4 groups/squads). If B faction commander see it coming and have reserves, he will gather them to come and defend his objective. If not, he will at least defend it with on squad (the squad who initially occupied the objective).

If during the move to the B faction OBJ the attacking troops cross B factions squads, ALIVE will make them virtually "fight". Same story during the approach and the assault itself. Armoured and mechanized have the most value. Motorized is still superior to light infantry. But a weaker troop will always damage a stronger one even if it does loose (to simulate stuff like AT weaponry).

Virtual as real battle damage and casualties are stored and over time units will suffer from this.

Once A faction troops eliminate B faction troops, at least one squad will stay on the objective and will end up capturing/occupying it after some time.

Then of course the front lines will move, you do not really need any scripting to make some basics dynamic mission. It is somewhat the goal of ALIVE. So no worries !

Just remember the AI need 1 squad to defend, 4 to assault, 2 to 4 to approach/go near an objective.
    So if you put several objectives on your map, make sure you have assigned enough troops to defend/occupy them all and attack the last of them.

Occupation will defend more, have more reserves but still attack objectives. He will gather troops to defend a menaced obj if possible (not sure how many, but i have seen 5 groups defending a single obj).

Invasion will attack all over the map as long as he have enough troops to do so.

sorry the garbage English ^_^

5. I'd like to continue with this already conveniently started discussion :)

Can human players with AI groups claim objectives for their faction? I've been testing that on my mission and no matter how I clear an objective and stay to defend for quite some time it doesn't seem to switch ownership.

But then, if an AI squad under OPCOM command happens to come to that same objective area it will be captured almost instantaneously.

Any comment on this behaviour?

6. I don't think this is possible (yet) without some advanced scripting/triggers.

or Sign Up to reply!