How many TAORs should I create?

1. 6 years ago
    Edited 6 years ago by Strongground

Hi there!

I am building a mission to play with friends on my dedicated server using ALiVE. It is Takistan, btw.
    For every little accumulation of huts, I created a region with unique name, Military Placement (Civilian Objective) with the "type" attribute set to "SETTLEMENT" and region name in the "TOAR"-attribute. Also a civilian population module (optional, but I like to tweak the spawning of ambient vehicles and number of civis for each settlement.)

All in all I created ~30 TAORs, each marking a settlement/civil objective. The same procedure with Military Placement: Military Objectives for bases/outposts and the like. Each Military Placement then is synced to each of the Military Commanders on the map.

Is this bad practice? Good practice? Does it not matter at all and just clutters my editor with lots and lots of lines and regions?
    Does it confuse the TACOPS?

In all tutorial videos I saw about ALiVE, the people always created very sloppy giant regions that encompass half the map. To me, that feels wasteful.

Hit me with your recommendations, feedback or whatever you got. It almost goes without saying: A comment from one of the devs would be extra nice. :)

Cheers,
    Noël

2. Edited 6 years ago by Mannulus

Extremely wasteful (to me).

On one hand, I do the same thing with TAOR's for Civilians cause I like to control certain towns / cities (usually to lower their amount for performance but keep smaller villages at a higher count to balance out).

I usually custom adjust a TAOR to the shape of the entire map (and label it's variable name to C1 for example) for general usage (telling AI Commanders to use the map for objectives). I then add maybe another TAOR for blacklisting (Playerbase) or for forcing AI to spawn only at their base and adding an extra placement module set to objectives only to force them to leave the base to occupy the rest of the map, etc.

Here are two pictures of what I mean. Top one is the editor, bottom is what it looks like ingame:

-image-

-image-
    Ignore the quality, my uploader went to shit and I'm too lazy to fix it.

So as you can see, I accomplished the same thing with only three markers.

The khaki colored box is a buffer zone for the main base. This way I can have civilians spawn closer (by not adding the khaki box to their blacklist but adding the blue box) but I can keep insurgents away (by adding the khaki colored box and blue box).

As for the insurgents, I just tell them to occupy C1 (All of Malden) using the civ and mil placement modules.

You could take it a step further and have the insurgents only spawn in one area and then with a second set of placement modules, you can give them objective areas to go take.

3. Friznit

6 Dec 2017 Administrator

Best practice is to keep it simple. Having a single TAOR for a Placement module vs listing 20 TAOR's in the module won't make much difference, it's just harder to manage. Having 20 Placement modules will obviously have an impact - it's 20x more script to run.

Typically I'll split large maps into 3 or 4 areas with a Mil & Civ Placement module each (depending on the number of mil/civ objectives and the scenario).

For example, I'm running a WW2 campaign on Staszow. It only has a couple of mil objectives on the map so I'm mostly using Mil Civ Objective modules and a few Custom module to fill in the gaps. I've split the map into 4 quadrants. NW is a friendly area - Military Civ objective module with a small TAOR zone covering just one town where I want them to spawn.

A second module in the NW is set to Objectives only in a slightly larger zone so the friendly forces will move out to occupy the nearby villages. This is also synced to the enemy commander so he will also attempt to secure those objectives and we'll get a nice flowing battle going.

The rest of the map is for my players to go Commando raiding and blow shit up behind the lines, so it's just one enemy Mil/Civ Placement module in each of the other 3 quadrants, varying force types to simulate the different Battalions in the scenario, and adjusting the size to balance the number of enemies in the mission.

I find that adding more TAOR's is only really necessary to increase the density of enemy in a given area.

4. Thank you both, @Friznit and @Mannulus for your helpful comments! :)

I think, my big takeaway from this is: Use the least amount of TAORs & Military Placements possible to reach your objectives.

The basic idea of the mission is: The players are part of ANCOP (Special Division of the Afghan National Police) dealing with insurgents in a northern province, while US forces are retreating and now actively fighting any more, while the Afghan National Army (ANA) is present, but only stationary.
    So four AI Commanders are in place, Taliban, ANCOP, NATO/ISAF/US and ANA.

I currently have my mission take place on Takistan. The central mountain region will be one big region, contested by the ANCOP AI Commander & asymmetric Taliban AI Commander.
    North airforce base will be a narrow region that belongs to Afghan National Army faction AI Commander (Occupation), but is only there to provide a upper "frame" for the map and provide air transport & logistics to the Players.
    South airforce base will be a narrow region as well (lower frame), owned by ISAF/NATO/US AI Commander (Occupation), providing limited CAS in emergencies.

Now the question for me is, how do I limit the activity of the north & south Commanders, so they will mostly stay in base and only do very limited patrolling and defend themselves? I set "Max Simultaneous Attacks" to 0 - which should mean he does not advance on any objectives known to him - right?

5. Friznit

7 Dec 2017 Administrator
    Edited 6 years ago by Friznit

Only sync the AI Comd to the objectives module that you want him to know about. If he's not synced to the central one, he won't even know those objectives exist.

You can use one AI Comd for both factions on the same side. Assuming ANA and US are same side, you only need on Comd synced to both placement modules. Saves a bit on performance

or Sign Up to reply!