Incorrect altitude during helicopter insertions

1. 9 years ago

Hi,

I have been seeing an issue with the transport where the pilot is at a different altitude than I commanded. The altitude always seems to be noticeably higher.

I only have seen this behavior when the pilot flies over terrain of varying altitude. When I ask the pilot to fly over a flat area, there doesn't seem to be a problem.

There doesn't appear to be any relationship to the original altitude that I command: The pilot always seems to be at 40-50 meters altitude when he says "go". I've tried a handful of various altitudes with the same result.

This wouldn't be much more than a nuisance save for the fact that the rope systems I've tried aren't long enough, and I wind up falling off the rope to my death.

The behavior seems to be the same in single player and multiplayer.

My friends and I have been using ALiVE since October and have only noticed this issue within the latest couple of versions of ALiVE.

I've recorded a quick video that demonstrates what my friends and I have been seeing:

Thanks!

2. I looked into the FSM that controls the transport behavior, and I noticed there's a missing semicolon in the "At insertion" conditional the checks to see if the helicopter is done moving (unitReady) before commanding the final altitude before insertion. I don't know if this is the actual cause of the issue I've been seeing.

This semicolon is also missing from the same unitReady check of other mission types:

The "at base" conditional of the RTB mission,
    The "circle around" conditional of the Circle mission,
    The "at position" conditional of the Move mission

I hope this helps.

Thanks!

3. Tupolov

27 Jan 2015 Administrator
    Edited 9 years ago by Tupolov

Those conditional checks do not require semi colon as a terminator. Thanks for looking into it though. Altitude is set at 35m. What would be the ideal roping altitude?

4. @Tupolov Those conditional checks do not require semi colon as a terminator. Thanks for looking into it though. Altitude is set at 35m. What would be the ideal roping altitude?

The default of 20 meters seemed to be working pretty well previously. Is the slider to command a specific altitude no longer used?

Thanks!

5. Tupolov

27 Jan 2015 Administrator

Doesn't look like it, will see if I can fix for 0.9.5

6. @Tupolov Doesn't look like it, will see if I can fix for 0.9.5

Thank you very much!

7. GunnyDev

5 Feb 2015 Administrator

I have debugged this and the altitude is defined via the tablet is passed to the AI, however the flyinHeight command does not seem to be working, so unfortunately it is a BIS issue.

8. In the notes for the flyinheight function, it's noted that it won't work if it's set before a waypoint is assigned. Any chance this is related?

9. GunnyDev

6 Feb 2015 Administrator

No as mentioned, its an issue with BIS and has been raised as an issue by someone else on the Feedback tracker

10. Ok, thanks for looking into it!

11. 7 years ago

Anyone ever find a solution to this? Seems to be that only some of the time is my pilot anywhere close the altitude I specify. Sometimes a meter from specified insertion height, sometimes he's at 66 meters, which is unfortunate for anyone fast roping.

or Sign Up to reply!