Player led counter insurgency?

1. 6 years ago

Hi, first time poster, long time lurker.

I spent years on arma 2 public milsim insurgency servers, and I may be wrong but that doesn't seem to exist in ama 3. I help run a realism community with a dedicated server and want to bring it back, as well as have something to do in between operations.

Alive seems perfect and I think I've got to grips with it. I've made a counter insurgency mission on Altis, players are AAF, asymmetric are OPFIA. What I see alot of though is the ai doing all the grunt work, my AAF buddies are fighting the insurgents and occupying the areas, and I feel like I'm just helping them. What I want is for the players to do all the hard work, taking areas, hearts and minds, then have the ai move in to secure it after us, so it's purely player led.
    On the opposite end, I sometimes see AAF sitting in their areas, FIA sitting in their areas and nobody really attacking each other.

Any tips or ideas would be welcome, thanks in advance.

2. Balancing insurgencies is probably the toughest part of the mission making process. What I like to do is limit the friendlies to larger objectives only (so medium and large in a lot of cases), and sometimes only allow them to be aware of Military objectives (so your commander would only have a Military Placement Military Objective module) so the humans can handle all the Civilian Objectives without any interference.

Then once you clear the area, to hold it, use the Commander Tablet to call in reinforcements to garrison it with either the Logistics menu or rerouting friendlies in the Operations menu (clearing their waypoints and adding new ones).

In my experience the Asymmetric Commander takes a more defensive role in the beginning hours, while he establishes his Insurgent HQ’s and recruits civs to join his side. To me this makes sense that it would be his priority first and foremost. Your job would be to stop it.

As his forces grow, you should see these new insurgent groups get sent out to objectives. Regarding your friendlies staying in their areas, make sure their Commander module is synced to the Insurgent Objective Placement modules if you want them to take a more offensive approach.

3. Thanks HeroesandvillainsOS, after a good nights sleep and taking another look at it I realised I was making it way too complicated! Too many TAOR's and placement modules.

I've now made it so that instead of Asymmetric spawning all over the map they start occupying both mil and civ in one area of the map. Then instead of 10 different taor's over the map I've just got 2. Another mil and civ placement then points them to those TAOR's and they should move out of their area to attack and try and take over those areas right?

For friendly occupying force, I did the same as you suggested, I've got them occupying the military installations across the map, but not civilian ones.

So am I right in thinking with this setup the Asymmetric will spawn in their area (some hills and small towns north west altis) and move out to occupy the civilian objectives, set up their ied factories etc? When they're strong enough they will start to attack friendly held mil objectives. This will then allow the player to either help defend or go retake if it's lost, as well as try to take the civ objectives.

Only other thing was how to slow down the spread of the insurgency, is it just the virtual unit speed?

Thanks for your help!

4. @Tearace Thanks HeroesandvillainsOS, after a good nights sleep and taking another look at it I realised I was making it way too complicated! Too many TAOR's and placement modules.

I've now made it so that instead of Asymmetric spawning all over the map they start occupying both mil and civ in one area of the map. Then instead of 10 different taor's over the map I've just got 2. Another mil and civ placement then points them to those TAOR's and they should move out of their area to attack and try and take over those areas right?

Yes, but unless you have objectives set for the areas in between the markers, those areas (although they may physically pass though them) won’t ever be known objectives to the Asymmetric Commander (not saying this is a bad thing, just pointing this out).

For friendly occupying force, I did the same as you suggested, I've got them occupying the military installations across the map, but not civilian ones.

So am I right in thinking with this setup the Asymmetric will spawn in their area (some hills and small towns north west altis) and move out to occupy the civilian objectives, set up their ied factories etc? When they're strong enough they will start to attack friendly held mil objectives. This will then allow the player to either help defend or go retake if it's lost, as well as try to take the civ objectives.

Yeah pretty much. What I like to do is to let the mission run for a few hours with Virtual AI debug on and watch how things go and edit the mission from there based on what I see or don’t see. You can temporarily show Asymmetric HQ’s in the ALiVE menu in game as well (I think it’s under Admin Actions).

Only other thing was how to slow down the spread of the insurgency, is it just the virtual unit speed?

Thanks for your help!

Yes that will do it. Also, there are other ways. In the Asymmetric Commander module you’ll see max simultaneous attack obj’s and min civs preset to be able to be recruited. Lowering the former and increasing the latter will also slow the insurgency down, as will lowering the amount of actual civilians that spawn.

5. Thank you! Things are definitely progressing now

or Sign Up to reply!