My group mission - Wasteland meets Occupation

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by MudBone

In totally new to alive. Years of experience running A2 and A3 servers, extensive mission customizations, some minor scripting efforts but I am seeking some advice on where to start with an Alive based mission.

Here is a simple overview of what Im trying to achieve.

Three factions with a spawn/ base area and minimal gear / equipment / AI base defenses again land and air attacks.
    Occupation forces across in towns across the map
    Ambient random vehicle and aircraft patrols - if possile I would like to have some random roaming vehicle ground and air patrols
    Missions / objectives which enhance a factions firepower and capabilities - I dont seem to understand the missions module. How to customize what it does. Where they appear and what resources can be avalable after completion.

Ultimately this would run server side and provide our small group with a single player vs AI experience (occupation) which could escalate into a pvp scenario.

Ive messed with the mod a bit, experimented with the sample missions but I fail to understand some of the script functions and how they work together. There are samples but no real explanation of how they are ment to compliment and work with each other.

I tried following one of the tutorial missions. Do this, link this, add this..presto..but no real understanding or explanation for what I had just done or how it worked or what else could be customized.

If anyone has any pointers, suggestions or recommendations I would really appreciate the advice. I'd like to get rolling on this as quickly as I can and get up to speed on using the Alive Mod

2. My advice would be to start simple - avoid the custom scripting stuff if that's not your forte and focus on creating simple missions using ALiVE modules. Trying to create a Wasteland/Occupation type mission is going to be difficult. Start with maybe a COOP where everyone is on the same side vs the AI. Make sure you turn the debug on in modules so you can see what's going on when testing the mission... Heroes will probably have some good pointers for this.

With regards to the side missions they are a WIP and are difficult to customize without some heavy scripting. If you're doing what I think you are doing (provide rewards to the side that completes the mission) you might be best to use another tasking system or else you'll have to get heavy into the scripting side of things.

3. Thanks savage. If I start simple with the sample occupation mission and add second faction that should be a start.

or Sign Up to reply!