REQUEST: HALO - transportation option

1. 8 years ago

As part of the combat support module transportation options - Halo insertion
    once in chopper then talk to Pilot
    chose insertion location
    part of the drop down menu is to be HALO inserted. - chose altitude.

will need to somehow give players parachutes when this option is chosen, and retain all gear info for when they land. (Like Spyders Halo script).

Further notes:
    Single player compatibility: when player jumps the Ai should jump also. When player pulls chute, the ai should also. (with some random timing so it looks good).

Pilot could send msg "Approaching drop zone in 3....2......1......" and then circle above the target location until all units are out. Since in this case its not possible to 'get back in' the chopper, it should RTB automatically, instead of requiring the tablet command.

Parachute should be applied on jump. Not before, in case player chooses to abort insertion and chose another style of insertion within the chopper.

Thoughts:
    this could take a long time to gain the altitude in choppers - which could be a boring wait for players. perhaps a fade to black and move the transport unit on a path at the correct altitude towards the drop zone
    "ETA to drop zone 1 Minute" - Giving players a chance to get ready.

the above option would be preferable so as to avoid flying over enemy locations trying to gain the required altitude.

2. Edited 8 years ago by SavageCDN

I spoke with one of the devs quickly.. basically they said there is already an option to fly very high for HALO jumping and that they don't like messing with AI if they can avoid it. What you are asking for is not a simple thing to introduce at this point. I will enter it as a feature request but don't get too excited ;)

http://dev.withsix.com/issues/76246

3. no problem. I understand the single player market is probably not their primary user base. And I actually wasn't aware that you could set the transport to fly really high.
    thank you for asking

so the option is there for MP, just not us SP with no friends. haha

as a follow up - using the current system to fly really high is fine. but what happens when you jump out with a parachute. is there a way to save your gear if you grab a parachute from within the chopper? and reapply once landed. Otherwise using this 'fly high feature' would not seem like a good option, and I would hate to see a wasted feature of ALiVE. I'm not sure if that is something that can implemented, as it would also help the MP user base.

thanks again

4. Originally this mod (and it's predecessor MSO) was designed to only work on dedicated server.. there are certain things in SP that can cause issues with ALiVE - saving the game is a good example... It kinda works but can also crash Arma. So it's not that they don't want to support the SP player base, it's more that SP can be problematic when the primary goal is dedicated server with persistence ;)

That being said I'm always amazed by their wizardry so who knows they may come up with a nice solution for this!

With regards to your question on chutes.. I can't say for sure. Try it out and let us know if you survive the fall :)

5. 7 years ago

@SavageCDN basically they said there is already an option to fly very high for HALO jumping

Are you talking about the "Low"-"Mid"-"High" value selectable by the Menu?

I tried to make the Chopper Move to a location at "High" altitude but it fly at like 200 Meters that isn't the best if you want to do an Halo Jump.
    Is there another way?

6. At the moment no there is no way to adjust that height. I'll add it as a feature request but no guarantees.

7. @SavageCDN At the moment no there is no way to adjust that height. I'll add it as a feature request but no guarantees.

Okay!

Don't add the request, it's a super secondary thing.... I was just asking if there were any tips or workaround ;)

Thanks ;)

8. Too late :)

https://github.com/ALiVEmod/alive/issues/220

You're not the first to ask for this so thought it best to at least add it to the wishlist.

9. @SavageCDN Too late :)

https://github.com/ALiVEmod/alive/issues/220

You're not the first to ask for this so thought it best to at least add it to the wishlist.

Okay!! Then thank you !!!!

or Sign Up to reply!