Intel on dead bodies or in buildings

1. ‹ Older
  2. 8 years ago

incontinenetia, that would be awesome. I am trying to build an insurgency mission, and brand new to Alive and have zero knowledge of scripting.
    If you don't mind this being used in the wild, I would love to put in a random intel generator for items found on patrols. All due credit to you and everyone here, of course.

3. Thanks Incontinenetia. Looking forward to it.

4. Edited 8 years ago by incontinenetia

Okay dudes, have a look at this .

All credit goes to Dixon13 and SpyderBlack723 (and also ARJay for the marking units script).

What it does

This will add the possibility of dropping three tiers of intel items next to killed units of the asymmetric side of your choice and one tier to the other side (presuming you are playing as BLUFOR).

For the asymmetric faction, it will either (a) temporarily reveal nearby installations, (b) temporarily reveal all spawned units of that side, or (c) temporarily reveal installations further away. (Working on something better but this is what I've got so far).

For the non-asymmetric side, it will create intel items next to dead bodies that temporarily reveal spawned units of that side.

My preference is to set the percentage chance of this to (a) 10, (b) 3, and (c) 1. You can change this yourself according to the instructions at the top of the fnc_intelHandlerEast.sqf or fnc_intelHandlerGuer.sqf scripts. You can also change the object spawned by editing these scripts according to the instructions in them.

Be warned: the objects can be really hard to find in grassy areas. I think this creates a more realistic experience as you have to search for them, but if this is irritating then change the object to something large like a laptop. Unfortunately I haven't had the time to try to get an alternative way of spawning items to work properly just yet so the items spawn in a 3 meter radius. Ideally I'll reduce this and post a revised version when I get the chance.

How to use it

Add the stuff from either the AsymEast or AsymGuer folders to your mission root folder, using AsymEast if the asymmetric side is OPFOR, or AsymGuer if the asymmetric side is Independent. Obviously, if you already have an Init.sqf or Description.ext then just copy the code over from this into your original files.

Be warned, this should work but I haven't had the time to test it and I've done a few edits to clean it up from an experimental thing I was (very slowly) working on. Let me know if there are any bugs.

To test, set all the percentages in the fnc_intelHandler scripts to 100 and kill some guys in an ALiVE mission.

If you do modify and redistribute, please keep all mentions of Dixon13, SpyderBlack723 and ARJay in the scripts.

5. This looks awesome... and should be integrated with ALiVE ;)

6. Congrats on finishing it

7. Cheers! Definitely not finished and I didn't really do anything apart from edit the scripts you and @Dixon13 gave me, but hopefully I'll add a bit more to it in the next few weeks! This should be a satisfactory placeholder until then.

8. Thanks so much for this. :) Congrats buddy. I'll try it later tonight.

9. Awesome. I downloaded it this morning, but I haven't had time to add it in and test at all.
    Will this conflict with Intel dropped from basic Alive modules?

10. Congrats @incontinenetia and nice job.

11. @ski2060 Awesome. I downloaded it this morning, but I haven't had time to add it in and test at all.
    Will this conflict with Intel dropped from basic Alive modules?

Intel doesn't drop organically with ALiVE. The only Intel gathering with vanilla Assymetrical ALiVE is the Intel that comes from interrogating civilians, but no actual objects.

This script and the variations of it are what adds the items.

12. What about from Spyder's Addons? I had Intel drop off a CAF insurgent this morning while testing Civ interaction. I wasn't sure where it came from.

13. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

That came from the script in this thread. Was it a suitcase?

SpyderAddons's Civilian Interaction module just expands (and IMO improves) upon the nature of talking with the civilians. But it only taps into ALiVE's already embedded system of revealing enemy locations on the map. But there are no physical Intel objects to pick up.

What this script and its variants do is add physical objects to dead bodies as a new way of discovering Intel.

14. Ahh, gotcha. I wasn't sure you had included that in that edit.
    So, if I want to include this new version I need to replace the previous scripting with this new stuff?

15. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

We went over a lot of stuff I don't blame you for forgetting. :)

I can't wait to try Incontinenetia's new version of Spyder's/Dixon's original. It sounds remarkable. I'm really looking forward to giving it a spin.

16. It was really not that complicated at all - literally a cut and paste job with very minimal editing!

17. Sounds like my mission making!!

18. Ha yes well mine too. Might have to share a couple of templates soon so it can be everyone else's as well.

19. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I was thinking of sharing my pieces of crap too. :)

I've got one on Reshmaan which has been going nicely. Once I tidy up some of the script stuff and fix the teleport issue, it should work well as a SP/small group-ish template.

20. Edited 8 years ago by SpyderBlack723

It was really not that complicated at all - literally a cut and paste job with very minimal editing!

That's how it starts :)
    You're on your way!

If anyone starts a template thread I'll link it in the stickied post as well

21. Edited 8 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Ok. I had a little peek in the editor with everything at 100% and yes, this is fantastic. It's everything I was hoping for and then some. Thank you!

I see what you're saying about the items being a little small. Though I like the realism of it actually being items people might generally carry so I'm ok hunting around. Picking up cellphones is a nice touch for immersion and realism!

The item's spawn positions can get a little finicky, though. Basically if the item spawns beneath let's say the leg of the dead guy, the item really can't be interacted with (because the dead guy is in the way). But I also saw some instances where the item spawned a little too far away from that body but that gets a little confusing.

Anyway, this is everything I ever wanted and will be a perfect addition to my missions. Not that I have a vote but I vote this gets 100% brought in as an official ALiVE feature. Good job fellas.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!