Units only spawn when module is debugged? (SOLVED)

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

Ok so here's a paste with the civ module debug turned on (so this is an example where everything works): http://pastebin.com/31p6FWzf

And here's the mission: https://www.dropbox.com/s/pygy2ro192n9n8b/Reaper.Kunduz.pbo?dl=0

I appreciate the help, Highhead.

3. Hmmm. So I just discovered this is happening on a different mission of mine that I wasn't aware it was happening on. This time units spawn whether or not the civ obj module is debugged, except in this mission, the profiles consistently double.

Debug off= 15 profiles and 16 objectives
    Debug on= 33 profiles and 16 objectives

This mission requires the same mods as the above except:
    It doesn't use OPX Fixed and doesn't have CUP Terrains assets so we can safely rule those out as being the culprit. This is a very strange bug.

4. Out of curiosity, what objective modules are you using out of the following?

Mil placement
    Civ placement
    Custom placement

5. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SpyderBlack723 Out of curiosity, what objective modules are you using out of the following?

Mil placement
    Civ placement
    Custom placement

All of them in the mission I just tested and posted about. Only civ placement and custom placement (for BLUFOR) in the Kunduz mission this thread started with (the one above with the photos, rpts, mission file, etc).

So it probably makes sense if I removed the mil placement module from the most recent mission I tested, it would be 0 units again. I'm guessing the 15 profiles that are spawning must be from the mil obj module. It would make sense but I can test that.

My guess is this is only happening with the civ placement module.

6. This may be totally unrelated, but something I noticed when i encounter this problem was...if the number of profiles i had set for each faction to spawn in the drop down menu...i.e. 30/60/100/200 etc... was less then the total of virtual AI allowed to spawn...i constantly ran into the problem. My solution so far has been to set VAI spawn limit to 500 ATM.

short version:
    Blue 30/30 = 60
    Red 60/60 =120
    IND 30/30 = 60
    Playable slots w/ AI =15

I would need to set VAI limit to at least 255 just to cover all potential units in the game. I dont know if this is by design or a bug...but it solves my problems.

7. Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately that doesn't solve my problem. I just set it to 500 in the virtual AI module and with debug turned off in the civ obj module, no units are spawning. Thanks again for trying though I really appreciate it. It was definitely worth a shot.

8. Spyder, I just wanted to clarify. I don't know what I was thinking when I said I was using custom objectives for BLUFOR in these missions. I'm not; just for OPFOR.

The Kunduz mission this thread started with only has one single objective module for BLUFOR and that's the civ obj module.

9. highhead

1 May 2016 Administrator

Hi!

As promised I took a look.

There are 2 ambient civilian placement modules with the same settings in that mission, that will have strange impacts. Furthermore the asym-CQB is set to "strategic" but there are no strategic buildings (use "civilian" setting). For the second (friendly) CQB module down south I suggest to also use type "civilian" with a low enemy setting (2%, density medium, Pair).

For the strange things... I can only get this behaviour in this mission and after i switched all enemy factions to OPF_F as an example it worked again and your 3CB Blufor untis spawned. Its hard to find the original cause, because... ...there are so many errors in that mission (due to issues with all that addons), that break the init process completely (which ensures scripts load at full speed so this also causes longer load times). This did not at all happen with any test setup I ran that came close to your mission.

I highly suggest that you turn on -showScriptErrors param in your startup line - I would not live with that errors and I'd ditch all that addons esp. config errors and only keep Kunduz, CUP and switch to another unit addon that is still beeing worked on officially. Build your bases with the available assets (there are plenty, also use the ingame compositions and not go for any new mod dependency only because of the eye-candy). This will keep you from bad headaches and ensure your players have a decent expierence without having to download x halfway broken mods from x sources (they simply wont do that in the first place either way). Will (maybe) go a bit deeper but not today.

Hope that helps for now!
    Have a nice eve

10. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Thanks Highhead. Which specific mods and assets would you recommend me removing? Seems like all of them. LOL! Do you have a hunch which ones would be shooting these errors if you saw if you had to guess? CAF and ARP2 and JBAD?

I was under the impression too that multiple Civilian Placement modules was not only ok, but a recommended method of increasing civilian spawns. This is the first I've read that using multiple (with the same settings) caused problems. What's the recommended method of having a lot of civs? One module doesn't produce nearly enough from what I've seen.

11. Also, since it seems like you definitely recommend taking out CAF, which mod has civs I can use that fit the Middle East theme?

12. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Pretty sure I've isolated the cause. Removed ARP2 objects and BLUFOR seems to be spawning normally now (though I had to remove it not only from the mission but from my mod line completely for it to take). Never would have guessed in a million years a simple object mod could conflict with ALiVE so badly. So I'll be removing that and JBAD from all of my missions too while I'm at it. Would still love your thoughts on a long-term replacement for CAF (or at least Middle Eastern civs) and also your opinion on keeping 3CB and Burnes Foxhound

Thanks Highhead.

13. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Long term replacement would be CUP once it's done with civies :)

14. This is why we always bitch about reproducing the issue in vanilla. :)

15. This. Well this was something. Hope you all enjoyed the ride as much as I did. ;)

It's crazy how much smoother things load now and even my load screens act more normal. If you guys want to add an incompatible with ALiVE list to the wiki, ARP2 objects needs to be center stage.

16. Madness.. perhaps having a known list of incompatible mods is a good idea.

17. Deleted 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS
  18. Deleted 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS
  19. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I think I was wrong on ARP2 objects. Don't get me wrong, it caused major issues looking back on it with log spam and load times and unnecessary errors and probably wrong factions spawning and I don't regret removing it but I think the actual culprit was having 2 civilian placement modules as Highhead warned against.

I played for a couple hours(ish) on the server. Debug was off and everything was fine. This was just with removing ARP2 and JBAD when everything was ok (finally) after multiple tests. I decided BLUFOR may have been a bit too strong during my session so I went into the editor, changed BLUFOR spawn numbers and suddenly the issue came back. Debug on = more spawns again. And I tested this over and over after just removing ARP2 and I could not duplicate the error anymore but the problem suddenly came back again tonight.

Removed all but one of my civilian placement modules and now the issue seems to have gone away again. ALiVE is more of a delicate flower than I had originally assumed. It's crazy how problem was 'gone' gone and suddenly came back and then went away again.

20. Edited 7 years ago by Sheeps

Wow. Great thread. I can see @SpyderBlack723 is going to see even more errors when he looks through my mission file:-/

I shall get tweaking and try to tidy my mission later. It takes forever to load so must be full of errors!

I' need to start by changing my two matching civ modules.
    @HeroesandvillainsOS have you removed one or just changed the settings in one so they differ?

I hope CUP kick out ME Civs soon!

I love this community. What s top bunch:-)

21. @sheeps I tried changing the settings in one of the two I had and the same behavior occurred. Right now I'm down to one module in all my missions and it seems fixed but I'm still paranoid about it coming back so although I consider this solved, I'll need another day or two to really know for sure.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!