Need Some Advice: Isla Duala

1. 7 years ago

Hi everyone!

So Im having a bit of performance trouble with Isla Duala A3 and ALiVE on a de, also spawning quite a few units. I know its not over 80 locations as I don't get that message anymore and Im using it with LEIGHTS OPFOR. I have a blacklist over this whole area named "black" and put that in the blacklist slots in the civ/mil/ placement and CQB modules. One odd thing is that they tend to show up at the western airfield in the blacklist marker, not immediately but eventually they do.

-image-

The module settings are no filtering on the civ military placement module with 100 force size, medium roadblocks, and for the military placement module I have 60 force size, with the objective size filtering on ignore small objectives and no filtering on objective priority with medium camps.

Now Im wondering if I should make a TAOR marker or another way to help performance and limit the concentration and number of units placed?

Thanks!

2. Edited 7 years ago by Opendome

Also thinking limiting the number of spawned groups in the override section might be the best? Also for the override is it the total number of groups on the map or just the ones that are actually spawned? Its weird, I get worse performance on the dedicated server with some people playing than I do hosting a game by myself on my local machine, I heard BI broke some difficulty stuff with their last update, would having the server difficulty on veteran have any effect on performance?

3. What are you considering bad performance? And is it consistently bad or just during certain circumstances?

Also on that bit about performance being better when alone/worse with a group, is it like totally fine when you're by yourself?

4. Edited 7 years ago by Opendome

Like 20-30 FPS, especially with lots of units around of course. When I made my ALiVE Clafghan mission I was typically getting 40-60 FPS with even a higher unit count. Im thinking its the objective concentration, as soon as I leave that blacklist marker on the server there an enemy OPFOR everywhere. Thats kind of the odd thing as when I encounter the same scenario on my local machine, hosting by myself these large firefights run typically 30-40 FPS but on the dedicated server which takes the load off my PC I get 20-30 when I play with a few people.

5. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Hmm. I've never actually hosted before but when other people host and when I play alone on my server I always get better performance in an online environment. It should not really go down unless you're internet is atrocious.

Make sure no one is running anything but the required mods and that they are all up-to-date for everyone. I'm betting this is your problem. How is your performance on the server when you're by yourself? Better or worse than in SP?

You can also mess with the Active Limiter in the Virtual AI module if need be. Your total number of units seems fine for a map that size. Probably about the same as I'd use to start (I'd probably start with 100 civ with the filtering you're using and 30 Mil with higher filtering than what you're using with putting some single unit cust modules to fill the gaps; but if you're not getting the 80+ message objective-wise you sound ok with what you're doing).

6. Edited 7 years ago by Opendome

Yea thats the weird thing, Ive made tons of ALiVE missions since its release and lots of MSO ones too but Ive never had that happen before. Its always better on a server since it takes that framework strain off your computer. Another weird thing is that huge black marker and after 30 minutes to an hour OPFOR always comes and attacks the base, which is also weird.

Also for some reason I keep thinking about the difficulty settings, Im using veteran on the server but testing in recruit cause its jsut for testing. I know when I got back into mission making in Arma 3 savagecdn told me they messed up and broke a bunch of stuff with the difficulty settings

7. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

For the difficulty settings I think you still need to go to the missions tab and manually choose it for the specific mission itself. I can't remember offhand how you do that though. Can anyone help Opendome out on that part?

Is it #missions in the ~ key debug?

8. #missions will stop the current mission and bring you back to the mission selection screen

If you are referring to server difficulty settings those are all done in the A3 profile for the server

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/server.armaprofile

9. There's an issue discussed recently on BIS forums that server difficultly for some people isn't working even when the server difficulty settings are manually changed.

The "answer" for these people was that they still needed to select the difficulty level they had chosen for the server by going to the missions difficultly screen (and selecting custom or veteran or what not) before mission start.

I'll see if I can find the quote.

10. From @incontinenetia

I found my issue (which is the same as yours I think?). Essentially, you now have to set the difficulty for each individual mission on the missions tab (there's an option there which you can then select recruit / regular / veteran / custom and it works fine from then on for that specific mission) rather than the difficulty settings tab. Give that a go, it was how it ended up working for me. I got too used to how TADST worked a couple months ago!

This is specifically from the TADST thread but I'm pretty sure I read of similar issues for people that use different dedicated server types but don't quote me on that.

or Sign Up to reply!