Server gets red chain "no message received", then crash using ALiVE

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

So I'm trying out a new dedi server and I have an ALiVE issue.

When I get to loading the mission, it immediately gets a yellow chain that switches to a red chain, then I get the "no message received for xxx seconds" followed by a connection lost after 90 seconds.

If I load a non ALiVE mission, it stays stable. Use ALiVE? Crashes.

What would cause this? A lack of sufficient memory on the server?

It's consistent. No alive...stable. Use ALiVE...red chain, no message, crash.

FYI m, alive loads fine on my other dedi server. That's why I'm asking what specifically on my primary dedi could cause alive based missions to crash/timeout on start.

2. Any RPT file on that new server that might have some info? If it has 2GB assigned to the Arma instance it should be fine memory-wise.

The non-alive missions that do not crash - is the server still running the @alive mod?

Also if you are using @aliveserver try disabling it and run the alive mission again.

3. Rpts show nothing. It stops at the ALiVE initialization, but there is no discernible error.

Yes, the server is still running ALiVE on the server, even when loading a non-alive mission.

It is consistent. ALiVE mission...red chain desync on mission load. Non alive mission...no desync.

I know ALiVE works fine of course as my other dedi loads missions up fine. So it has to be the server IMO.

4. Sorry was away for a bit.. did you get this figured out?

5. Nope.

6. Virtual memory total 2047 MB (2147352576 B)
    Virtual memory free 132 MB (139137024 B)
    Physical memory free 40496 MB (42464104448 B)
    Page file free 77706 MB (81481342976 B)
    Process working set 1245 MB (1306095616 B)
    Process page file used 1735 MB (1820278784 B)
    Longest free VM region: 4227072 B
    VM busy 2008555520 B (reserved 107487232 B, committed 1901068288 B, mapped 36888576 B), free 138797056 B

This repeated ad nauseam in the RPT would seem indicate the old memory leak/crash right Savage?

7. Possible although it seems to still have 132MB of free memory. I believe the server .exe is still limited to 2GB of memory? You could try upping your maxMem param in server.cfg but don't think it will matter. If the server is de-syncing right after you load it I don't think a mem leak is the issue (these usually happen over time).

If you haven't already wipe the @alive and @aliveserver folders (and any alive-related files like the .dll) and re-download them from alivemod.com.

Also if you are running persistence try disabling that and don't load @aliveserver when testing.

8. @SavageCDN Possible although it seems to still have 132MB of free memory. I believe the server .exe is still limited to 2GB of memory? You could try upping your maxMem param in server.cfg but don't think it will matter. If the server is de-syncing right after you load it I don't think a mem leak is the issue (these usually happen over time).

If you haven't already wipe the @alive and @aliveserver folders (and any alive-related files like the .dll) and re-download them from alivemod.com.

Also if you are running persistence try disabling that and don't load @aliveserver when testing.

My mistake. Forgot to mention this is actually my other dedi. I ended up dropping that dedicated server that was desyncing on initial startup. I think it was just horribly configured and the owner of the server wasn't much help as well.

This latest desync was on my other Dedicated server. It is through Jetfox Gaming and I use TCAadmin panel to maintain it.

The desync occurred at about 58 minutes in. Also..the RPT file was almost 9mb in size after only 58 minutes. The memory rpt that I pasted went on and on for a long time.

One thing I did want to mention...I have a maxmem=4096 in my server command line. So I do find it interesting that the virtual memory free is only showing at 2G and not 4G. You mentioned adjusting it the server.cfg. Is that another area to adjust Maxmem other than just adding it in the command line?

I'm not an expert at this by any means although after a year of using the server, I feel I am "competent" and continuing to learn about this stuff behind the scenes. If the Maxmem was 4096, shouldn't that mean that the Virtual memory should be 4G and not 2Gs?

Thanks for the suggestions.

9. The virtual memory number you are seeing is what A3 detects - I'm guessing JetFox limits the memory available to 2GB no matter what you set in your server.cfg. This is not uncommon with regards to game hosts (as they will have multiple instances on one server) and will not be the cause of the issue.

Is it the same symptoms with the new server? Non-alive missions run fine but anything that loads @alive hangs on startup?

10. @SavageCDN The virtual memory number you are seeing is what A3 detects - I'm guessing JetFox limits the memory available to 2GB no matter what you set in your server.cfg. This is not uncommon with regards to game hosts (as they will have multiple instances on one server) and will not be the cause of the issue.

Is it the same symptoms with the new server? Non-alive missions run fine but anything that loads @alive hangs on startup?

No. Different symptoms. Game will run fine for 30 min to 1.5 hours most of the time. Then the same thing will occur. No message received followed by desync/crash. Hugely frustrating as this has been a constant issue for...6 months now?

11. The other server I was trying out I got rid of. That was the one that was having all ALiVE missions desync immediately. FYI

12. Ah OK I need more coffee it seems :)

13. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Is this happening with just ALiVE/CBA?

If you don't feel like setting anything set up and don't feel like trying anything from the wiki for 90 minutes or so, I have a vanilla mission with just Spyder Addons I could send you that I've been working on.

But regardless, I'd be curious to see how this goes without additional mods.

14. Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

@SavageCDN

Well this is new....

"
    "2928.18 | Unit O Alpha 1-3:1 REMOTE knew 0 and learned 1.57073 about R Alpha 1-3:4 REMOTE"

Is this coming from Headless Client?

Also... I've been a doing a ton of stress testing, etc. and I ran admin command "monitor 5" to check on server FPS, memory used, and kbps in and out.

Here is what I'm seeing....

Server FPS stays at 50 for the first 30 min or so...but as soon as I hop in a Transport Helo and fly somewhere or respawn at a base...the Server FPS drops down to 5 and the kbps IN spikes to between 170-220 and the Kbps OUT spikes to around 350-380 and does not adjust for quite a while.

After about 15 minutes...it went back to Server FPS of around 50 again, with In and Out kbps on both IN and OUT fluctuating between 110-240.

I assume that is all due to the spawning in and out of units, etc.? Is that a normal reading?

So with my desyncs...could it simply be a case of I have too much going on in my missions for the server to handle and it crashes?

15. "2928.18 | Unit O Alpha 1-3:1 REMOTE knew 0 and learned 1.57073 about R Alpha 1-3:4 REMOTE"

That's just standard BIS debug, although the REMOTE part indicates the unit does exist on a headless client. Try testing the mission with HC turned off.

16. That's some heavy desync if you are just spawning in units - how many groups are we talking about? Are you the only player connected?

Test it with half the profile groups you are currently using (same for CQB) - does that 'fix' the desync/low server cps?

..and yeah as Spyder mentioned test same mission without HC (but same # of groups) - still the same desync?

17. Without HC, it's the same thing.

I can now definitely say I know what is causing my "no message received" issues now.

It's the server FPS desync.

I've run the monitor 5 debug on the last 3 missions I've run on the server...every one of them drop to a FPS of about 5 in instances where a lot is going on in the mission...logistics coming in, troops spawning, etc.

It will last for about 5-7 minutes with the server FPS hovering at 5ish...I'm assuming because it's using CPU processor power to augment the drop. Then it runs out of RAM and boom..server dies.

So I guess it's the server itself. I either need to get more RAM (I appear to be capped at 2Gigs on the server) or I need to cut my missions down to make up the difference.

18. Quick update.

So all of my desyncs over the last 8 months were apparently caused by my server.

I switched over to a new box and the difference is striking. Server FPS stays a solid 45-50 and all of my missions that were desyncing are now running flawlessly.

I'm both happy to have this issue fixed and pissed that it took me 8 months to figure it out.

Anyway, it's all good in the hood now.

19. Wow... what were the specs on the old box? Was it a 'shared' server? Glad to hear it's fixed!

20. Edited 7 years ago by AUTigerGrad

@SavageCDN Wow... what were the specs on the old box? Was it a 'shared' server? Glad to hear it's fixed!

Dual x5650 Processors
    48GB of ram
    1TB SSD
    1000/1000 upload download

They do have other Arma servers running on them.

The crazy thing is the box I was on had exact same specs. Maybe something wonky under the hood. No idea.

or Sign Up to reply!