Ensuring placed units don't get conscripted

1. 7 years ago

I've got a vehicle spawn system in my latest mission where the play uses Spyders Vehicle spawner to spawn a vehicle which the spawns well off the map. Once that happens a Chinook at the base spools up, flys off picks up the vehicle and delivers it back to the base (about a 10 min round trip)

The guys have been testing things this afternoon while I'm at work and are reporting the chinook is nowhere to be seen. Now it's invincible, set to safe etc etc so it should still be ok. My thought is that maybe the AI commander has taken control of it and re-tasked it?

Is that possible? And is there a way to prevent that? I have a number of hand placed unit that I really don't want the AI to take control of if at all possible.

2. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I don't think so. The AI commander would only command it if it were virtualized and if he had control of the faction associated with the chinook.

So yeah I guess if you did those things don't do those things. :) If it's virtualized, try unvirtualizing it. That should fix it.

I don't see any other reason why it would disappear. I place manned unvirtualized vehicles in my missions and they stay put for all eternity.

3. We had it happen in a previous mission with an auto medic, although I think he was set to be civilian and may have been recruited by the insurgency haha.

I'll have to check when I get home as to what they've done to "BIGBIRD 2-1" :P

4. Ok so the bird does it's first slingload run perfectly. It fly's out, picks up the vehicle and brings it back, drops it off and lands/powers off.

The second time you do it though it fly's off brings the vehicle back, lands, sounds like it's about to power off then seemingly gets fuelled from nowhere takes off again but doesn't follow it's waypoints instead it just circles around a couple of times then hovers.

I'm currently running no AI mods that could possibly override the waypoints which made me question if it's ALiVE someone how intervening.

5. Edited 7 years ago by marceldev89

Not sure if @SpyderBlack723 's vehicle spawner relies on the combat support slingloading functions but those are somewhat broken. Might be what's causing what you're seeing.

6. Yeah I'm thinking I may have ditch the vehicle spawner (which is a shame because it looks really nice) and replace it with addactions for each type of vehicle, then spawn the vehicle AND chopper off the map, have the chopper deliver the vehicle and then fly off and despawn.

Not as atmospheric, but probably more bulletproof for a long term persistent mission.

7. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Vehicle spawner is 100% standalone.

Spawns the vehicle and that's it.

8. Yeah that's what I figured.

KillzoneKid on the BI forums reckons it could be the locality of where I've put the setfuel 0 (although I would think a vehicles waypoint would be local to the vehicle), but that's not really what worried me, there's other ways to fix that.

What has me stumped is why it doesn't just continue on it's waypoint loop, why does it just decide to fly a loop around the airfield and then go hover somewhere random. That's why I questioned if it was possible ALiVE was conscripting it somehow.

9. You can always enable virtual ai debug to check.

or Sign Up to reply!