C2ISTAR - Task Names

1. 7 years ago
    Edited 7 years ago by Runny

I haven't went through them all, but I noticed that If I auto-generate an 'Attack Military Objective' task from C2ISTAR, It comes with a parent task called "Attack Emplacement".

Am I the only one who finds this extremely misleading? Twice now I've loaded up with demo charges to go take out this "emplacement".

The description of the task is correct, but for people like me who read half the title before going "I see emplacement and this is Arma so I need demo"...

Gotta say though, This is the worst thing about ALiVE so far which is damn impressive for such a complex machine. This mod makes ArmA worthwhile.

2. Friznit

5 Feb 2017 Administrator

How is that misleading? "Attack" is not the same as "Destroy" :)

3. It's not the attack part, it's the "emplacement" versus "area, position, ect.."

In my mind, an "emplacement" means some type of weapon fortified into position. Therefor I'm expecting to find something like that when in reality it's just a "clear the sector" mission.

4. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

An emplacement is merely a fixed position, which could be used to describe a base , or building, that you need to attack.

Anytime you need to destroy something, the task will use the word destroy.

5. Edited 7 years ago by Runny

http://www.militaryfactory.com/dictionary/military-terms-defined.asp?term_id=1885

"Prepared position FOR weapons"

In game it's just a bunch of guys. Not s prepared position nor any weapons besides small arms carries by the bad guys.

6. Edited 7 years ago by Runny

It would be really cool if the enemy actually did spawn emplacements around high priority objectives though!

-and also perhaps truck them into newly captured high-priority objectives.

7. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

1. structure on or in which something is firmly placed.

2. the process or state of setting something in place or being set in place.

I think that's irrelevant though, the verb attack implies an assault and hold type operation. Destroy is used to explicitly state a neutralization maneuver.

8. I'm not debating or confused about the difference between "attack" and "destroy".

I'm just saying that when I get to where the task is, there is no emplacement. Even using your non-military definition there is no emplacement to be attacked.

That is why I find the task to be misleading.

9. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Runny I'm not debating or confused about the difference between "attack" and "destroy".

I'm just saying that when I get to where the task is, there is no emplacement. Even using your non-military definition there is no emplacement to be attacked.

That is why I find the task to be misleading.

I'll be honest, the first time I ever got that task I was confused by what was at the task location too. But now that you know what it is and what to expect, isn't it ok to just leave it at that? Dev time is precious and they are working on really important things right now. Do they really need to take time away from that stuff to change a mission description name?

Again, I don't disagree that it confused me once too. But we know what to expect from that mission now. So all is good, wouldn't you say?

10. Friznit

5 Feb 2017 Administrator

I think we're getting crossed wires a bit. The target location should have some sort of composition to attack. If it's just a bunch of guys standing around in the open then the task isn't generating properly.

11. Edited 7 years ago by Runny

@Friznit I think we're getting crossed wires a bit. The target location should have some sort of composition to attack. If it's just a bunch of guys standing around in the open then the task isn't generating properly.

There's always a building at the target location but it's not a building that wasn't already a part of the empty map. A group or two of bad guys are in the vicinity of the building and when you neutralize them then the task is complete.
    That all seems fine if it was a "clear the area" task or something similar, but it's an "attack the emplacement" task. In my mind a random building that has nothing to do with the guys standing near(ish) to it isn't an emplacement.

Like heroes said, no big whup, it's just a minor thing I've noticed that could be corrected.
    If the devs disagree and the building does constitute an emplacement then I'd say everything is working as intended and good job.

or Sign Up to reply!