ALiVE and Headless Clients

1. 6 years ago

Hey everyone!

I think I got my headless clients setup and working

I have

// HEADLESS CLIENT
    headlessClients[] = {"127.0.0.1","My server ip"}; // list of IP addresses allowed to connect using headless clients; example: {"127.0.0.1", "192.168.1.100"};
    localClient[] = {"127.0.0.1","My server ip"}; // list of IP addresses to which are granted unlimited bandwidth; example: {"127.0.0.1", "192.168.1.100"}

at the bottom of server.cfg

I changed AI Distribution to Headless Clients in the ALiVE required module.

Once I have the server running I open two consoles and put

./arma3server -client -nosound -connect=localhost -port=2302 -password=Phantom -mod=mods(my client side mods)

they both connect and fill the HC slots.

Is everything setup/configured correctly?

Thanks!

2. Should be fine. :)

3. Check your serverlog (rpt), there should be messages there about the script handing over groups to your HCs. Should look something like this:

ALIVE AI Distributor switching group '<some group name>' to HC '<name of HC>'.
  4. Hmmm the only thing I see in the rpts close to that is one instance of

ALiVE AI Distributor detected ACEX Headless module enabled, shutting down !

although I haven't placed any acex headless modules or anything

5. After completely deleting the acex_headless .pbo from ace it seemed to have fixed it, im now seeing

ALIVE AI Distributor switching group 'C Alpha 3-1' to HC 'hc2'

and the same for hc1 all over.

How many HCs do people usually run?

6. Friznit

26 Sep 2017 Administrator

1 is enough. I sometimes run 2 with very heavy missions if I'm expecting players to be in different parts of the map. I've maxed out at 144 groups and around 600 AI with no significant client FPS loss that way, but you have to know all the tricks of the trade for it to work reliably.

7. Edited 6 years ago by Friznit

Thanks! Do you mind sharing these tricks? :P

8. @Opendome After completely deleting the acex_headless .pbo from ace it seemed to have fixed it

Yeah, figured out why. Testing a fix so it detects and handles ACEX headless better.

9. Friznit

27 Sep 2017 Administrator

@Opendome Thanks! Do you mind sharing these tricks? :P

Nothing magical. Only use properly optimised mods. Use garbage cleaner aggressively. No sound or fps killing client side mods. Minimal scripts running simultaneously. No wait loops in scripts. Use simple objects and disable SIM wherever possible. That kind of thing.

10. @Opendome ACEX Headless detection issue fixed: https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/issues/434

or Sign Up to reply!