AI Group Awareness

1. 7 years ago

Hey,

is it just me or do the AI controlled by the OPCOM module ignore/cant hear shots killing their comrades (granted that they cant see me, then they engage) and just continue their patrols like nothing happened?

For example: Two guys standing in the middle of the street, two other guys in a nearby alley. I start to engage the guys on the street, drop one, the other one starts shooting at me, I kill the second one. The other pair still standing/patroling carelessly like nothing happened. They cant? hear the shots and wont change their attitude to aware.

TL;DR Is there some problem with group cooperation and awareness between AI groups controlled by the OPCOM module?

2. Aaaand one more question..

Is there any way to alter the premade ALiVE compositions with RHS static guns? Or is there any way to add custom compositions into the automatic mission generation ALiVE provides?

Thanks

3. Ai micromanagement is left up to the BIS AI behavior and any AI mods you may be running, so this isn't caused by ALiVE.

You can create custom compositions, but I don't have a link handy for how to do so.

4. Well, iam not using any AI mods but still have a different experience with hand placed units and ALiVE spawned units. Dont know if its just me, thats why iam asking.

So to get a clear picture, ALiVE handles the AI up to the point of them being spawned in the real not virtual environment? (Ofc with the waypoints from the OPCOM?) The engagements and awareness and all the other jazz is handled by the game itself?

5. Aand is there anyone i could ask about the compositions specifically?

6. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I'm not sure about the custom compositions though I'm sure it's possible. Davidoss made some for Massi's Takistani Insurgents where they use custom roadblocks:

http://alivemod.com/forum/2022-massi-s-middle-east-warfare-african-conflict

If you're handy with reading code, check out his patch.

Regarding the AI behavior, ALiVE doesn't alter it. I'm generally not a fan of vanilla AI. Pooter's Enhanced ASR AI is great because it alters the AI behavior in a way where when enemies are engaged, they can 'call in' for backup. I'm not sure if vanilla AI has this, but if so it's much less noticeable. Try Pooter's ASR AI and see if it suits you.

7. Thanks for the reply, but from what i heard, the community AI mods usually kill performance with too much scripted stuff.. and that it gets geometrically worse with more AI in the field. But ill try it nontheless, so once more, thanks.

Ill look into the patch as well, granted my coding abilities are fairly limited :D

The thing is, you cant really incorporate the custom roadblocks and compositions into a mission, only as an external addon, which is kinda inconvenient if you want to release mission publically.

Maybe incorporate it into the ALiVE somehow? O:)

8. Again I'm sure there's a way to make custom compositions. Take a gander at the ALiVE wiki while we wait for a dev reply. It's very possible such code is there.

I've recently stopped using AI mods due to BIS altering AI behavior in the dev branch/upcoming Tanoa release. I have a feeling it won't play nicely right away with them so I'm just going without. And while it's much less enjoyable with RC 1.60, the fewer addons the better IMO.

9. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

You are correct with saying ALIVE handles waypoints but when it comes to awareness and combat, the AI remain unchanged in order to prevent incompatibilities with AI mods.

Maybe @Tupolov can drop some knowledge on custom compositions

10. Recommend trying @ASR_AI - it does not add a lot of scripted overhead and makes the AI much smarter.

11. Yup, thanks for the suggestions, using the edited version @HeroesandvillainsOS suggested. Working like a charm so far.

Really hope someone can clear up the composition business for me though :D

or Sign Up to reply!