Help with some thoughts for new functionality

1. 6 years ago

Hey all, I am new to the forum but have been using ALiVE for a few months now. My group runs an ALiVE mission on our dedicated all the time.

I'm in the process of making a new one right now. The first was on Zargabad since it's small but has really nice terrain. It made it a great test bed to make sure everything was working soundly. I'm expanding my horizons and making a new mission on Lythium and I have a couple questions for anyone that might be able to help.

1. As far as I can tell, the only way to reduce tensions through civilian interaction is to talk to town elders, muezzins, etc. and spam the talk button on the action menu until you get a message that says tensions have been reduced. Is this accurate?

2. I have an idea for an alternate way in which players could have an avenue to reduce tension but I don't know how to make it work and was hoping someone here would be able to help. I remember years back playing Patrols Ops and there was a mission type where a truck would spawn with a container of supplies on back and players would have to drive it to a designated point. Would it be possible to set it up so that a possible out come of talking to a muezzin or elder would be that they would tell you their village is need of supplies. At this point a truck would spawn near AICOM for blufor and once players successfully transported to the village, tensions would be reduced? This seems like it shouldn't require all that much scripting to make work and would be great for immersion in playing COIN ops. I lack the skills or know-how to produce this though.

3. The last one is quite a stretch but I was hoping someone would know if it would be possible to get MCC IEDs to work with the ALiVE IED modules. There is an IED type in MCC that requires players to complete a "minigame" to defuse an ied in which one player must have the bomb manual open and instruct the defuser what to do as he relays information back to his teammate, which adds a ton of cooperation to what is right now a pretty anti-climactic part of the experience.

Thanks guys for any help you can offer. ALiVE is already far and away the best experience to be had playing Arma 3. Absolutely love what it has accomplished.

2. First off prepare yourself for a little disappointment with Lythium. Due to the use of JBAD buildings (at least that's what I believe to be the issue) you won't see nearly as many civilians as you'd expect and some areas will be dead. Shame because it's a really nice map with tons of potential.

Secondly I've done something similar in a previous mission. Although I just marked 6 locations around the map and told the players that if they delivered supplies to those spots it would reduce tension in the area.
    When they delivered the crate it would simply respawn back at base so they could use it again. A little "gamey" in that respect, but it encouraged them to drive convoys protecting a HEMTT which was great.
    It's not that difficult to make the trigger activate only when there's a particular crate inside it, then you can use

[getPos <trigger name>, [side player], -20] call ALIVE_fnc_updateSectorHostility;

I think to reduce the tension inside the trigger area.

Your third question I don't know. I've hoped for a long time that someone with the coding skills that I lack would have a go at expanding the EOD side of ALiVE. Having a lot more different types like palm oil containers, gas cylinders etc would be amazing, especially if they could add dickers with mobile phones watching the IED. You take out the dicker, the IED doesn't explode when you drive past. The EOD mod had a bunch of stuff like this but it's a bit of a mess and no one seems to be working on it at the moment.

3. Greenberet40 sent over an unblocked PBO for the latest version of Lythium, so hopefully one of us will be able to find the time to index it soon, and hopefully doing that will fix or at least isolate the cause of the low civs spawns.

4. Edited 6 years ago by SpyderBlack723

There should be a field in the IED Threat module that allows you to put classnames of custom IED's to be placed. I believe you might also need to switch a "Custom IED's:" toggle from No to Yes.

or Sign Up to reply!