ORBAT Creator: British Tropical and British Desert Factions.

1. ‹ Older
  2. 7 years ago

Yes, they can. Do they show in the editor? If not, then it is not loading properly.

3. Yeah they're showing in the editor but not in Zeus. The original units show in Zeus from their originating factions.

4. Will check it out later, there should be no reason why this occurs since any unchanged values are inherited from the unit that they mimic. So if a rifleman is usable by Zeus, and you create a new unit with unit type of that rifleman, it should be view able in Zeus.

5. Let me clarify,

Some groups show up in Zeus, but not all.

I can see all of my groups in the editor, but maybe 30% of those are still visible in Zeus.

One other thing...in unit editor when I import units from an existing config (3cb, Cup, or whatever)....do I need to change each unit's classname or can I leave them with their original classname?

Reason I ask is although the group's do show in the editor, individual units don't always show in the editor under the new faction. I.e. I can't put down an individual 3cb rifleman, but I CAN put down a grouped section containing that rifleman,

Did I miss something?

6. @SpyderBlack723 grab my desert ORBAT and test it. I probably missed a step

7. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

New to this.

I added some alive compatible groups to rhs gref. Some required changing the equipment, so I have to pack this up and can't use description.ext

That's where I'm stuck.

According to this article I need to find some addon/test/autogen.hpp and paste the generated configs. But I don't know what or where that is. Pls assist.

8. Pretty sure Ski2060 broke it down in this thread:

http://alivemod.com/forum/2395-orbat-faction-creation-turning-it-into-a-pbo

9. Edited 7 years ago by Docbuck

Yes, and I appreciate you sending me the link. But again. That says I'm supposed to find ```test/addon/autogen.hpp```. My release, that I just got here this morning, has no such file path.

edit: I checked the source version as well, and do not see such a file path or file there, either.

10. Not sure. I haven't used it yet but plan to take a crack at a Taliban faction within the next day or two. That's the correct release so hopefully someone else can lend you a hand here.

11. I checked this release as well, which appears to be the first release in which an ORBAT is mentioned. As a final attempt to make sure I'm not an idiot, I did a repo search for mention of an autogen.hpp. I do not see it anywhere. @SpyderBlack723 if you are on this morning, I could use your advice sir. Thx.

12. The autogen file is inside the @testmod.rar folder on the ALiVE github page.

13. https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/blob/master/utils/tools/%40ModAutogen.rar

14. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

@AUTigerGrad Only change the classnames if they are your units.

Really the only reason to import units from config is to edit an existing faction that YOU created, not somebody else's (yes it's possible to edit somebody elses but unless you know what you're doing it's not recommended).

To create a new faction from an existing set of units, simply create a new faction, then go to the unit editor and create units with the unit types set to the those that you wish to edit -- hopefully that makes sense.

This will likely fix your visibility issue as well. Edit: Just checked myself, all groups and units show properly in the editor.

Ideally a video tutorial would be a good thing to showcase smart conventions, but time and resources make that difficult.

Edit:

If you create a unit whose unit type is of a unit that is not visible in the editor, your new unit will also probably not be visible in the editor. I will fix this.

15. See it. I was not looking hard enough, apparently. Thank you guys.

16. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@SpyderBlack723 I'm a bit confused by your post above.

If I just want to redress a current faction and keep the integrity of everything else, should I be using the create a new faction option and then going into the unit editor and tinkering from there, or should I be starting from the unit editor (and then when that's finished, moving to groups editor and then faction editor)?

You said above that editing an existing faction is not for people that don't know what they're doing (me). So I should be making these units from scratch then, yes?

17. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

@HeroesandvillainsOS I do have to apologize as I forgot the current version in that release is different than the one I have locally. In order to copy factions you simply select the faction you wish to copy in the faction editor, import it's unit's and then change the faction's display and classname. While this will temporarily remove the original faction, it will reappear when you restart the mission (but don't do that because you'll lose the one you have just created). You then go through the imported units and change their classnames (and display names if you wish). Once that is done, simply edit the gear of each unit to fit your needs and export.

Snippet from the wiki if it helps:

Copying an existing addon: Select the Faction to inherit from and in the Unit Editor, click Import Units from Config. Then change the name/classname/side in the Faction editor and save. This is the recommended way of creating a new Faction template to work from.

In the future, there is a simple copy faction button that makes this more clear.

18. Yup, I forgot to change the classnames of the imported units. That's what happened.

19. General purpose FAQ thread: http://alivemod.com/forum/2406-orbat-creator-general-faq/0#p15214

or Sign Up to reply!