Acquiring a WW2 commanders tablet

1. 7 years ago

Hello there dear ALiVE community, long time no see :)

I'm fiddling about creating a WW2 scenario for Iron Front and would certainly be using ALiVE for that large scale feeling that any WW2 scenario naturally needs!

But has anyone seen a WW2 version of that Spyderblack's commander tablet? Can one be quickly made by me or by someone else...or maybe one does already exist??

I think even changing that modern style frame to something closer to 1940's would go a long way for getting that authentic feeling of the time.
    Any thoughts/hints on the matter at hand?

2. Tupolov

19 Nov 2016 Administrator

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/blob/master/images/ALiVE_PSD/ALIVE_toughbook.psd

Create a WWII one and we can see what we can do :)

3. Well I'll be damn Tupolov! I'll certainly take a look if I could come up with something WW2-themed :)
    Thanks for sharing the template!

4. I have prepared a map case that could possibly be used in lieu of the original commanders tablet for more "traditional warfare" scenarios.

Couple of things:

• the map case portrayed here is not from WW2-era if even Cold War (still, could be)
    • is probably of Swedish or Finnish origin but no certainty about that (could be anything else too)
    • I shrank the map case edges "over" the black screen a bit so there might be some overlapping issues with the data shown in the tablet interface for now
    • the "ALiVE" logo is still there but it is in it's original shape and size. Naturally the logo would fit in there a bit better if it looked liked it had been stitched in

-image-

I have the .psd version readily available should this spark any interest?

5. Tupolov

24 Nov 2016 Administrator

THIS. IS. AWESOME.

6. Oh yea thats great!

7. Tupolov

24 Nov 2016 Administrator

Could potentially have the "screen" look like lined paper and have the UI font look like written script etc lol. Any Arma UI config people up for the challenge?

8. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Biggest challenge would be making it look real (in terms of paper-like background)

9. Tupolov

25 Nov 2016 Administrator

Your mod ruins the immersion for me ;)

10. This is really very good. Impressive.

11. @Tupolov something the like?

-image-

Though I'd certainly like to see the case put to use with the default interface. Would probably make it available sooner than having to wait for a specialized UI.

But the most important question to me is what are the next steps if there is any? Those two models are ready to be shared.

12. Tupolov

1 Dec 2016 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Tupolov

Was thinking more like

-image-

13. @Tupolov well I can provide what I have ready now. It is up to ALiVE team to finish the interface area as they see fit. Since, they (you guys) got the best idea of how the layout can or should be done in the first place.

Anyways, the model I provided was received with mild interest but apparently there is no actual interest to include at least that version in the game.. so why offer an opportunity to create one in the first place?

Thus I can only urge ALiVE team to create a more contemporary version since, I at least have an urge to get one in use anytime now.

14. Friznit

16 Dec 2016 Administrator
    Edited 7 years ago by Friznit

It takes time, and we have few devs and a long list of priorities. However, since ALiVE is now open source, anyone is able to look at the code, figure how to replace or add a new model and create a Pull Request.

15. Does anyone care to give a crash course in GitHub? :) Do I need to create a repository of my own for the PSD-file here and then somehow add a pull request to Alive.os or should I fork Alive.os and then something simsalabim?

Complete newbie with GitHub but for some reason I already had an account in there :D

16. Fork original repo
    Clone the forked repro to your computer
    Push commits to the forked repro
    Create a pull request comparing your forked repro to the original

17. Done!

Thank you Spyder for that short instruction. With that I was able to quickly create a pull request for the mapbag model. Took waaay less time than having to figure out on my own what I would need in the first place to reach the state to be able to make the pull request.

Since there already is a PNG-file for the original tablet I provided one for this 'optional' tablet version. Though I don't know what's with the filesize (5,65 MB vs the original version's 691 KB). I didn't see any quality or compression settings when I was using Photoshop to save the PSD to PNG *shrug*

18. May I inquire now that the optional model displayed here was merged to master, is there any way to put the model to use already now or does it require additional framework or somesuch that comes hopefully someday soon? :)

19. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

As long as the black screen portion is the same size as the original tablet, it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Otherwise, all of the interface elements will have to be moved.

Create a ticket so it doesn't get lost.

20. @SpyderBlack723 As long as the black screen portion is the same size as the original tablet, it shouldn't be too hard to implement. Otherwise, all of the interface elements will have to be moved.

Create a ticket so it doesn't get lost.

I tried to make sure that the screen area would stay the same size. There might be needed some small adjustments but only small!

or Sign Up to reply!