Standard Parameters Used Questions

1. 7 years ago

Hi all (again me XD)

Since I started using the ALiVE System I always wondered myself what settings for the Virtual AI System other players use.
    So I ask you this.

In order to play as me, and I mean with your Pc and not on a Heavy Performing Dedicated Machine (like rented ones),

What's Maximum Number for the Active Limiter Parameter do you use? For me is like 20/25
    And how many units do you set to be placed by all the modules in a single mission? For me is like 200 Units
    How large is the portion of the map in which your missions usually takes place? For me is like all the map XD

2. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

It's better to not touch the default active limiter setting and instead alter the amount and density of profiles in the mission

3. Friznit

8 Feb 2017 Administrator

On average I try to keep the number of spawned AI at no more than 120 at any one time, or 200 if running on a headless client. That's more than enough for players to shoot at. Adjust TAORs and Placement modules to get the right density of enemy in an area, and CQB module sparingly to augment heavily built up areas. Tweak spawn ranges depending on terrain. If it's a jungle map, it can be a lot lower than in the desert, for example.

4. @Friznit On average I try to keep the number of spawned AI at no more than 120 at any one time, or 200 if running on a headless client..

You Mean GROUPS of AI and no AI Units right?

5. He's talking about individual, active AI

6. @SpyderBlack723 He's talking about individual, active AI

Ok he's talking about the Mail/Civ Placement units Number...
    Understood

7. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I don't think so. I think he's talking about actual individual units, which is a hard thing to quantify and test the number of. Profiles of groups is much easier to count.

If you're making small scale missions to play in SP, I usually keep the amount of spawned profiles down to about 30 around the map AO (if the average group is let's say 4 men, that's 120 AI).

For these kind of missions, saving and loading progress is not my priority, though you probably could. These are usually one session affairs with a set objective to accomplish in a single sitting.

For larger scale battles with 100 or so profiles on each side (so let's say 800 total fighters) you'll probably want to run it in a MP environment, and save and load with War Room.

8. Edited 7 years ago by Runny

I have a mission that I'm happy with so far that is set up with:

• Chernarus summer using the whole map
    • 200 mil placement on each side
    • 200 civ placement on each side
    • Mil and civ placement ignores small objectives. Performance was also good only filtering tiny objectives.
    • Commanders ignore small objectives. Also worked fine filtering tiny.
    • Total objectives is 84 per side, worked well at 102 per side as well
    • No civilians
    • No CQB
    • No ambient air, only manually placed air (5 per side) which OPCOM has control over.
    • 1000 reinforcements per side
    • 1.2km foot and helo spawn range

I host on my PC using TADST and haven't bothered assigning CPU cores yet.

i5-2600k @4.3GHz
    SSD
    GTX 660Ti
    25MB/s Up/Down

So far I've only tested with 4 people at one time. Runs excellent except some lag/desync spikes when people respawn and cause a lot of AI to have to "appear" at base. Other than that things seem ok so far.
    The biggest issue for me is that OPCOM freezes after a couple hours.

With this setup my server runs 45-50 FPSall the time except during initial loading and the respawn thing. Obviously the respawn only hurts when nobody else was at base to have those units already spawned in. Fast rides in helos don't effect performance much.

9. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

The biggest issue for me is that OPCOM freezes after a couple hours.

That really should not be happening. If you can reproduce it, ideally with just CBA and ALiVE, you should open a ticket.

10. @Runny Runs excellent except some lag/desync spikes when people respawn and cause a lot of AI to have to "appear" at base. Other than that things seem ok so far.

Funny we had the exact same setup running on our milsim box and had the exact issue with AI spawning on the large airfield in the NW. Until I took the AI OPCOM and moved them off the airfield where players spawn in to go on missions.

11. @Nichols Funny we had the exact same setup running on our milsim box and had the exact issue with AI spawning on the large airfield in the NW. Until I took the AI OPCOM and moved them off the airfield where players spawn in to go on missions.

It's to be expected. When all players are out of the base spawn range and you suddenly drop one in, the server has to load in all the AI within 1.2Km of that player at the same time. That's an area of 4.5 square Km! Plus a large proportion of your teams AI are going to be in that circle so yeah..

So you moved the AI 'base' to be separate from the player 'base'? That's a good idea!

12. You guys are taking about BCR Logistics reinforcements, right?

Yeah it's always better to not be anywhere near that. :) When there aren't helicopters running into eachother, and the vehicles aren't landing on rooftops or trying to actually drive out of the base, you make a good point that there are still a ton of new units spawned in even under the most ideal of insertions.

I actually think there's room for improvement on this (for example, I feel like the helicopters fly in too close of a formation), so hopefully we'll see refinements in the future.

13. Hi again! I've resetted the maximum Active profile Number from 15 to 50 and Lowered the Radious Spawn from 1.500 to 900 (the Mission takes Place on Tanoa).
    I also had an huge FPS improvment (like from 28 ti 30/45) Lowering the Max Visual range for players from 5.000 to 2.000 using the ingame Player Options Module...
    Don't Ask me why.

I have also separated the affinity of both a3server.exe and arma3.exe assigning 4 core to each...

14. Edited 7 years ago by Runny

@HeroesandvillainsOS  You guys are taking about BCR Logistics reinforcements, right?

I don't even know what that is :P

My mission is a BLUFOR invasion on an OPFOR occupied map. So BLUFOR gets a very small TAOR and it has everything, including the player base respawn in it. The OPFOR TAOR covers the entire rest of the map. (Am I doing it wrong?)
    So when all the players are gone and then someone decides to respawn at base (as opposed to a MHQ) then the server loads up.

15. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Racetrack Hi again! I've resetted the maximum Active profile Number from 15 to 50 and Lowered the Radious Spawn from 1.500 to 900 (the Mission takes Place on Tanoa).
    I also had an huge FPS improvment (like from 28 ti 30/45) Lowering the Max Visual range for players from 5.000 to 2.000 using the ingame Player Options Module...
    Don't Ask me why.

I have also separated the affinity of both a3server.exe and arma3.exe assigning 4 core to each...

I personally really don't like the results of anything much lower than the default 144 for the Virtual AI profiles. It really is recommended to first try limiting the amount of profiles you let spawn in the civ/mil obj modules first, by either lowering the amount of spawns (by either dropping the number of units, or increasing the filter of objective seizes), or limiting the size of the active AO.

By all means, see what you think with it at 50. But I think you'll be more pleased by increasing the number, and decreasing the amount of spawned units or active AO size.

16. @Runny I don't even know what that is :P

My mission is a BLUFOR invasion on an OPFOR occupied map. So BLUFOR gets a very small TAOR and it has everything, including the player base respawn in it. The OPFOR TAOR covers the entire rest of the map. (Am I doing it wrong?)
    So when all the players are gone and then someone decides to respawn at base (as opposed to a MHQ) then the server loads up.

Ah ok, I get you. Yeah, virtual units will become real units if a player is near by so that makes sense.

17. @HeroesandvillainsOS  I personally really don't like the results of anything much lower than the default 144 for the Virtual AI profiles. It really is recommended to first try limiting the amount of profiles you let spawn in the civ/mil obj modules first, by either lowering the amount of spawns (by either dropping the number of units, or increasing the filter of objective seizes), or limiting the size of the active AO.

By all means, see what you think with it at 50. But I think you'll be more pleased by increasing the number, and decreasing the amount of spawned units or active AO size.

Got this! ;)

What I can't understand is why the VisualRange can drop my FPS while near AIs like to 20 FPS and then make FPS turn up to 50/60 without any AI spawned..

Anyway limiting the view to 2.000 meters (instead of 5.000 which i usually used) seems to make me able to have fun ad 40/50 fps!

18. View distance requires increased rendering and object simulation.

19. @HeroesandvillainsOS  You guys are taking about BCR Logistics reinforcements, right?

Nope never used BCR for anything and never heard of it till just now.

or Sign Up to reply!