Persistence Unable to Open Config File

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago
    Edited 6 years ago by TheDragon117

I appreciate the input. I'd be willing to learn something other then TADST if that might solve the problems I'm experiencing, but I'm thinking as a whole I probably have at least 2 separate problems. Since I can actually get ALiVE to save in a test environment obviously something somewhere in my mission is messing up, but even then I get an error about connecting to the war room even though everything does load. I've double and triple checked my modules and don't see anything that seems to be wrong. I ran one of the included ALiVE missions which just seems to further complicate my understanding of the problem as the mission would save, but my player wouldn't. So I'm kind of perplexed and starting to think the issue may just be a mistake on my part somewhere in this process that is creating a range of problems. On the one hand, the error is the only thing constant, but I'm getting three different results in 3 different scenarios. It seems persistence is going to be the one thing that gives me a bald spot from all the head scratching I'm doing. I usually try to sort things out on my own, cause I don't like to use up mod devs valuable time but I've kind of reached my limit of understanding from all the resources I can find.

3. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

TADST setup is brutally simple. I never needed to do anything beyond some basic troubleshooting. I helped contribute to the guide on the wiki in the Data section for TADST. It's not 100% up-to-date (example being having to change the exe in TADST to use 64-bit arma3server.exe), but it's pretty cut and dry because this is all done locally.

Though note, I haven't tested persistence on a TADST server since local saving became a thing.

Have you looked through the guide, using your local PC's hostname in ipconfig, using and applying a unique server name for War Room and in TADST, using whatsmyip.org to get your external IP, placing Player Data and Data modules in your mission, etc?

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/ALiVE_Data

4. Edited 6 years ago by marceldev89

@TheDragon117 feel free to send me the TADST folder in the A3 root and I'll take a look if there's anything that can be done there.

Another option is to create a batch file to launch the server using the TADST configuration:

• Create file named start_server.bat in the folder where arma3server.exe is (you can name it whatever you want but it needs to end in .bat)
    • Open the file with notepad
    • Add this to the file:
    start arma3server.exe <parameters>
    • Replace <parameters> with the parameters field in TADST (copy & paste)
    • Change the paths to be relative for at least the -config parameter (e.g. remove the F:\Arma 3 Server\steamapps\common\Arma 3 Server\ part from -config
    • Double click the .bat and pray for it to work :D
  5. You also seem to be running an outdated @aliveserver, the last version should report your IP in the RPT.

6. Edited 6 years ago by TheDragon117

First off thanks so much for being willing to help guys sorry I didn't respond sooner, I didn't see the email telling me you guys had responded.

TADST did seem the most simple route when I started hosting a server, and
    I just assumed it was the standard because it seemed pretty much idiot proof, but the persistence thing is introducing a whole new set of needs that TADST maker probably wasn't including in his scope. I did read those tutorials, and then went over them a second time, but probably going to go over them a 3rd time. I've been trying to teach myself how to write scripts during this process and its completely possible that on a night I stayed up way to late trying to make something work I messed something else up without realizing it. Though other then persistence everything else works incredibly well for me.

Though on a probably important note I just realized today apparently I mistook things from the units from BI to be from the War Room, forgot I was playing with that the other day and used the same image, and just assumed it was from the War Room. It seems most of my information does get sent to the war room though as far as kills and battle feed/operations feed, just when I hit Save and Exit server I don't get a tablet and it doesn't shut down.

I double checked my IP address and host name, those are definitely right. modules and such will take a day or so to dig through.

TADST Folder is here. For the @aliveserver It's the one I downloaded from the War Room on Friday when I was trying to set up the servers I thought, I did re-download it again, from the server setup page in the war room, I don't see a version number to verify its the right one though.Is there source that is more reliable or definitely up to date? For Alive I'm subbed on the steam workshop (but server file did come from War Room) is that an official source that would be up to date as well? I'm going to recheck everything again, it would be brilliant if I could find one setting that I did wrong that just fixed it all, but again thanks so much for being willing to give a more experienced second and third looks over things.

7. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I just unpacked your mission to take a peek. I can't be certain this could be the source of your problem, but there is some incorrect module usage and syncing going on with it. Don't be embarrassed by me pointing that out BTW, there's a lot to learn. Trust me I know, I'm the master at mistakes! :)

For instance, you have Player Combat Logistics synced to the Military AI Commander modules. Player Combat Logistics doesn't need to be synced to anything. Military Logistics is the module that's supposed to be synced to the Commander modules.

Assuming you have Tanoa, can you please try this mission and see if saving works for you? I'd just like to rule those out as possible reasons for your saving troubles: https://www.dropbox.com/s/88km4mzxb4rvmo1/ALiVE-Insurgency_WR.Tanoa.pbo?dl=0

I'd suggest spending a bit more time with the wiki if you get a chance. And always, feel free to ask any questions any time if you're ever not sure on something.

8. Also, incase this isn't the one you're using, try this verion of @aliveserver: http://alivemod.com/#Download

9. I am a bit embarrassed for missing that, but even more grateful you pointed it out. I had gotten so tunnel vision I was mostly only looking at the settings inside the modules especially the settings regarding persistence. Since the mission played well otherwise I didn't really look as hard there as I apparently should have. This evening I'll sit down load the provided mission, and use your source for the server files. Until I can get to my server I'm going to go over each module in the wiki again and check it against what I've tried to use it for. Fingers crossed that will be my issue and I'll happily remember that double checking everything means genuinely going back to my first steps. While it is a lot to learn it is incredibly rewarding when things work, and much easier to learn when you have people willing to help, like you guys.

10. I'll have to test when I get home but I very well may have found at least one of my problems. I was going off memory every time I checked my modules the last few times. This time I was going down the list on the left clicking each one going to the wiki and reading the entry to make sure I was using it right, (still going through the process going to do each one just to make sure) and I realized I had two Data modules, one I had placed earlier on and thought I had deleted or that I hadn't realized I'd placed, and it just got over looked repeatedly because it wasn't the module I was looking for at the time. That one had completely different settings from the one that I had actually configured to save my database. (on top of there only supposed to be one.) I'm thinking that likely is at least one culprit. When I get to my server I will test it and see for sure and let you guys know. Even if it works I'm going to look at each of the steps you guys have suggested and issues you've found as I want to make sure this is running as smoothly and efficiently as possible and to prevent creating any bugs later that will confuse me to this degree.

11. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Yeah that's a very likely explanation for the problem.

What I like to do is place my unsynced modules over slightly on the edge/off the map in my missions so I can easily see them even when zoomed out. Your test mission had them jam packed in the corner and all overlapping each other so when zoomed out, I thought you only had one module there. Lol. Probably easy to lose track that way.

Hopefully the duplicate data modules thing is the culprit.

12. Well, swing and a miss. I still have a few more modules to go through to check the status on but still couldn't save after removing the duplicate Data. Could I possibly need to delete both and then place another one? I'm considering rebuilding the mission from scratch and being very careful as I place each module.

Also I tried your mission, i was able to save and load back where I was, but I still got the error about not being able to load my profile from the war room, something is either broken or I haven't registered, which I have., and the AI didn't load next to me where I had run to so still seemed a bit off.

Could this potentially have to do with the fact that I have my server installed on a secondary drive? And I still don't understand why no matter what mission I play it cannot load me from the war room, so I think I still have at least two separate issues.

13. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Grouped AI locations are not persistent, only human players. So that is normal. There is a script I can link you that will teleport the AI in your group to your location on spawn (and respawn if you wish) but first we should probably figure out what's going on with your player profile.

So if it's fair to say the mission I sent you is persisting properly, I'd say the next step would be to have someone look into your War Room player profile and server stuff. This is unfortunately out of my league though.

@marceldev89 can you help here or is this Friznit and Tupolov territory?

Regarding your mission, I can always look over yours once you feel it's as set up properly as you can get it. In the meantime, take a look at the mission I sent you for the proper module usages.

14. Probably something for @Tupolov. couchdb is somewhat still magic to me. ^^

15. I have ai disabled in my mission normally so that doesn't hurt my feelings, but that is good to know so that I don't attribute it to any issues while I'm troubleshooting. Are their any official alive servers that I can join when I get home from work today to see if my war room profile works on a server that isn't mine that definitely set up right?

16. There are no "official" servers but you might be able to find a couple that are by other communities and are public.

17. After going over every module and making corrections to the errors I could find I still wasn't having any luck. So I started deleting modules one by one to see if I could find the culprit that way. Once I'd deleted all the modules pertaining to the friendly side, (NATO, US Army, and Marines) I finally saw the blessed tablet pop up saying it was saving. so I know what ever was keeping it from saving had to involve one of those modules. I waited for it to shut the server down to the lobby. Happy and excited I closed the server out waited a minute then loaded it again. My mission is pretty large so I'm used to long loads, around 10 minutes usually, but around the 15 minute mark I started to suspect there was a problem so I opened up the rpt file and sure enough it was looping " ALiVE OPCOM Waiting for Virtual AI System..." and had been apparently for a while. I still waited a bit just to see if maybe it would pull out of it but around 13 minutes of it looping the same message I went ahead and shut it down. As far as the mission goes I'm going thinking I made an error in judgement building it as far as I did without trying to make sure persistence would work first. I'm thinking I may delete my modules all the way out delete alive and reinstall it just to make sure its a good clean install, then slowly build it back in testing after ever couple of modules to hopefully detect the problem as soon as it happens instead of trying to check for issues corresponding between a bunch already placed. heret I don't see where it went south, when it saved it seemed to do fine, but when it loaded it tanked.

Perhaps something will be more evident to better trained eyes then mine. It just seems like I'm getting hit with errors from every direction, I don't know if its possible but maybe something was wrong with my first download and its just been making errors and a mess from there. I didn't get a chance to look for another public server to get on yet and see if it loaded my profile there or not that will have to be a goal for tomorrow. Might take a day or so off before trying again from scratch. Its a shame cause the mission played so well my friends and I had a blast. I'll stay persistent at it, even if my server won't, eventually I hope to crack it.

18. One of the RPTs is full with errors, did you remove the Virtual AI System module? In any case, there's a ton going on. I'm going to suggest to make a simple quick mission from scratch with just CBA and ALiVE loaded and go from there.

19. The Virtual AI system was still placed, but I agree, it will be much easier to trouble shoot bringing in one module at a time from scratch then it is trying to remove a module or two to find the problem as is. I'll let you guys know if I sort it out, it will probably take a few days to starting over.

Since it did save the mission provided by HeroesandvillainsOS I know that it can work, I just need to find the source of my current problems. Though I still keep getting the error about connecting to the War Room even when it did save that other mission, As far as I can tell it seems that everything functions, as far as the AAR and Battlefeed but getting it in that mission and the ALiVE example missions makes me think that there is an issue somewhere in my profile as well, but I guess I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. I can start a thread dedicated to that if it doesn't resolve itself at some point during my rework, it will be easier to troubleshoot without all these other symptoms clouding the field.

20. So after several different attempts it would appear that my issue isn't the config file at all, after playing with each module a number of times I've found that any time I create a "friendly" military commander module it will not save for some reason. I'll have to do more reading to see if I can figure out why or a work around. I liked having a NATO ally doing their own thing, but I suppose I could script a defense force instead if I need to.

Though I'm still getting issues with not loading my profile so I'll go through that process again step by step later today again and see if there is something I missed.

21. Edited 6 years ago by marceldev89

Define "friendly military commander"? Like 2 commander modules for the same side? If so, you should only use 1 commander per side.

22. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!