Performance and integration?

1. 6 years ago

I am looking at combining ALiVE.OS with Exile.

I am being told that quote:

1. ALiVE is a massive performance hog.

1. ALiVE in it's current state will break Exile or the other way around.
    2. Tons of things needs to be recoded to work with Exile rather than against.
    3. Reason for people recommending DMS + Occupation instead of A3XAI is because A3XAI is very out-dated and a performance hogger as well, the developer of A3XAI abandoned the project because of ungrateful fools on the forums.
    4. DMS is continuously being developed, the same with DMS Occupation, and has good documentation and support.
    5. To make ALiVE work with Exile you would need to tie it into the Exile threading system to increase performance.
    6. ALiVE War Room is far from being the same as mARMA, some elements are similar I agree, but far from being the exact same.

thoughts and suggestions?

I obviously dont want to use all the features of ALiVE. I mainly want the AI Caching features and the AI controlled AI faction...ergo Roaming AI with a purpose.

2. Friznit

13 Apr 2017 Administrator

Well I know nothing about Exile but ALiVE isn't a massive performance hog unless you set it up to spawn thousands of AI at once - virtual AI use almost no resources at all and it does nothing with spawned AI except give them a few waypoints. If Exile has done something clever that allows spawned AI to use fewer resources then I suspect that'd be why it wouldn't play nicely with ALiVE virtual profiles.

3. Edited 6 years ago by SpyderBlack723

Sounds like someone who's never really used ALIVE tbh. The profile system is far from a performance hog for what it does, hell, its prupose is to INCREASE performance, and the rest of ALIVE is modular..

Though, ALIVE probably won't mesh well with third party game modes that haven't been coded exclusively for it due to ALiVE's unique profile system.

4. Yep usually if it's a performance issue the mission has far too many AI spawning (novice ALiVE mission makers suffer from this ailment) or a bucket-load of mods running. Mission making with ALiVE is all about testing and debugging the mission to make sure you have settings right for your player count and mission objectives. It's not an exact science like DAC handles AI spawning - things are a bit 'fuzzier' with ALiVE.

mArma - that is a server monitoring utility? War Room does provide that functionality however WR is really about statistics and AAR for those groups wishing to record their progress in a mission.

I'm unfamiliar with Exile - how does it handle spawning units/groups?

5. Exile is completely script based.

AFAIK, none of the AI are cached or something similar. Exile servers can get very sluggish over time. Some of my friends play on a server that crashes several times a week and sometime multiple times a day.
    They have even had an issue where the server lagged/crashed so hard they could not DC.

6. Our current mission is on Tanoa and has a significant number of scripts running all with VCOM and Incognito and there are times it get so drug down with FPS bottoming out for clients it's almost unplayable. I haven't had that issue myself but have seen buddies with FPS down in the single digits.

With Exile having so many scripts it is probably going to create more issues than it would be worth using to attempt a working version. Still though if someone was to tackle it; we talked about it a few times; I would like to see it.

7. If you replace the VCOM and Incognito AI scripts, add in HC's and limit the number of ALiVE AI, it should work. My plan is to limit the amount of scripts running on the mission and instead replace them with mods while not overdoing the mod count.

or Sign Up to reply!