Insurgency and spyder addons questions

1. ‹ Older
  2. 6 years ago
    Edited 6 years ago by deimer

Thanks! At the beginning I have it set where we have only one town in our AO, so that shouldn't be a problem. I have a feeling they will get around to it anyways since they get through it to get to our FOB.

Edit- So my plan was to only have civ objectives be active for Bluefor in Bluefor's TAOR objectives and blacklist in the insurgents TAOR's. Since Al Rayak is set up a little weird, it could not find any civ objectives so I just went with filtering the civilian objective to only attack big and high priority civ targets. Other than that, Al Rayak is actually a great map.

Also, if we become overrun and insurgents are powerful enough, will they hold full scale attacks on our FOBs to take them and wipe us out? Id love the option to lose, I like challenge.

Sorry about the constant questions, everyone's help has been great and has helped me out a lot. I've gotten to make a really fun mission and am having the most fun in Arma I've had in a long time.

3. If you blacklist the insurgents from your FOB area, and don’t give them an objective module over it, or one that covers it, they won’t “know” about your FOB so no they won’t attack it.

You could place a Custom Objective module over the FOB, and increase the default priority number if you want there to be a chance the enemy commander sends troops there.

I do think it would be cool if commanders dynamically scouted for and found new objectives, such as your base, but at the moment as far as I’m aware it doesn’t work that way.

Nice suggestion though. Good idea for the future or Arma 4. Perhaps there is a way to add an objective on the fly somewhere during a mission but I’m not aware. The wiki might have some code you can try.

4. Edited 6 years ago by deimer

When I toggle OPCOM installations our 2 FOB's (located at an airfield) show 1-2 military objectives in place there. Since the enemy AI commander knows about our civ and mil objectives, doesn't that mean they would attack it?

Also, if I were to change the Bluefor civ objective from place units to objectives only mid save game, would I need to restart? It seems like in doing that there are significantly less Bluefor troops in doing that.

5. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@deimer When I toggle OPCOM installations our 2 FOB's (located at an airfield) show 1-2 military objectives in place there. Since the enemy AI commander knows about our civ and mil objectives, doesn't that mean they would attack it?

With that set up yes it sounds like he’d be aware of it and potentially attack it.

Also, if I were to change the Bluefor civ objective from place units to objectives only mid save game, would I need to restart? It seems like in doing that there are significantly less Bluefor troops in doing that.

Objectives Only does exactly what it sounds; it places objectives around the map, and doesn’t spawn groups with them. I doubt this change would take effect mid-playthrough (because total groups per side should be stored when a mission is first started and saved) but I’m not 100% on that so I guess you could try it and see.

6. Thanks. For now, I think my final question I have is:

Every so often at our main FOB, about 5-7 UH-60's and Chinooks spawn in the same spot in the air. They always crash into each other and there's this huge fireball. Eventually, theyll go away and maybe 2 UH60 helicopters hover over the airfield and stay there.
    Im pretty sure this is something with the military logistics as I had moved it and it changed the spot they spawned at. Any idea of what this is and how to fix?

7. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@deimer Thanks. For now, I think my final question I have is:

Every so often at our main FOB, about 5-7 UH-60's and Chinooks spawn in the same spot in the air. They always crash into each other and there's this huge fireball. Eventually, theyll go away and maybe 2 UH60 helicopters hover over the airfield and stay there.
    Im pretty sure this is something with the military logistics as I had moved it and it changed the spot they spawned at. Any idea of what this is and how to fix?

It’s due to the way Military Logistics handles battle casualty replacements, and is the bastard child of Arma’s horrible piloting AI. It’s easily tops on my list of wishes for improvements of the ALiVE mod.

I have suggested some ideas, as have others. But since I don’t code, it’s a matter of someone that does taking continued interest in improving this element of the mod.

One thing you can try, which half fixes the problem, is placing the Military Logistics module somewhere in a safe out of the way place and setting the reinforcement type to “static” instead of “dynamic.” Then placing a Custom Objective module on the same exact spot and making the priority 999 and syncing that Custom Objective module to your AICommander module.

This will force your resupply choppers to only spawn there at the Military Logistics/Custom Objective module location (ideally this is a place you can’t see it or be interfered with). However they will still deliver these forces to a place on the map. This is why it only 50% fixes the problem. Better than nothing I guess.

8. Would editing the military logistics module mid save game be an issue as well? I know I cant add a custom objective but ill at least reduce the force pool and change to static like you said.

9. Never tried so not sure. Would probably be simple to test out and quick too depending on how often you tend get reinforced in your op.

10. Did it and I dont see any issues. Although I am having this happen:
    We will hear gunshots in a town that keep going until we kill the guy. When we head over, we will see 1 dead insurgent guy ususlly and another with a gun. This has happened to us twice now. Is this something intentional?

11. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

I’m having a hard time following. Can you Zeus around the next time it happens so you can see what’s going on exactly? Or if you know exactly what’s happening, can you describe it in a clearer way?

12. Sorry for the late response. I'm still trying to figure out what happens, but I got a screenshot of the aftermath and I'll try and explain it better this time.
    Usually when we spawn in a town and start playing again, or come back to a town, we'll hear many shots from part of the town when no other friendlies are around. We'll head over and almost always find an enemy insurgent standing over another enemy insurgents body, or the alive insurgent will try and move away. Same thing happened again last night, and this time the alive insurgent was standing over the dead ones body and it looked like he was accessing his inventory until we shot him. We heard many, many shots go off and even a grenade.

I did though last night go into spectator mode when I heard many shots. This time it was a civilian terrorist heading towards us, but he would shoot random shots occasionally (when we were out of sight) almost to make himself known. I don't know if this is their intended behavior and when they do this they acidentally shoot their friend, causing him to shoot back. I'll keep trying to find out what is happening.

13. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

Hmm still not sure I follow you. I don’t really know what you mean when you say “ALiVE insurgent” and “enemy insurgent” or how these are different from each other.

Civs can definitely arm themselves if their hostility gets high enough, so what you’re seeing may be intended. But at this point I think just so things are clear, seeing this is probably better than reading it.

Can you capture and share a video? @deimer

14. I think by "alive insurgent" he means the one that is not dead :)

15. Aha lol.

I’m still not understanding his post though.

16. I'll try and record it, but is it common for armed civilians to shoot any other civilian terrorists or enemy insurgents?

17. @deimer I'll try and record it, but is it common for armed civilians to shoot any other civilian terrorists or enemy insurgents?

Sure, if civ hostility has increased enough. TBH I’ve actually never had this happen to me, but I’ve seen videos and I know that’s how the system works. That’s what civ hostility does.

18. @JD_Wang your civ shooty shooty video is gone from the YouTubes??? :(

19. Sorry I deleted a whole bunch of videos from that channel, it might be on here though

20. That must be what's happening to me then.

21. That must be what's happening to me then.

or Sign Up to reply!