ALiVE Spawning infinite waypoints for pre-placed units?

1. 5 years ago

I've tried searching for this issue as it seems like if it is happening to me someone would have run into the same problem already but apparently not. Basically I am trying to make a mission using Alive virtual ai system for caching and such but have shied away from using other modules as they never really worked out for me on this particular mission.

So basically on Malden 2035 I am placing down patrolling units(often with randomized waypoints using placement radius) and it seems to work fine at the start, using virtualize all except sync, the groups are functioning as intended it seems using Virtual ai system debug. They go through their waypoints and then go back to the first one and restart. The problem is that after a while with them still virtualized, framerate will begin to drop heavily, and zooming over to them in zeus mode will show that some(may be all) of these patrolling groups are getting duplicate cycle waypoints corresponding to the number of times they've gone through their patrol. So if the waypoint should look like this:
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    CYCLE
    it will end up looking like
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    MOVE
    CYCLE
    CYCLE
    CYCLE
    CYCLE
    What's worse is that some units, seems to be single unit patrols often, will have a large number of move waypoints, no cycle, and the move waypoints will be continuisly added infinitely it seems. So seeing as how I can't find anyone else having this issue, is it just not common to use ALiVE to virtualize pre place units like I am doing in this mission, is this a known bug, or am I maybe doing something wrong? At first I thought maybe it was VCOM AI doing it because I had recently installed it but after removing it and doing further testing it seems to do the same thing. Anyways if I can't find a fix I will just have to go with another scripting solution for caching units I suppose and just drop ALiVE for this mission.

2. Can you replicate this with just ALiVE and CBA with no AI mods?

3. @HeroesandvillainsOS Can you replicate this with just ALiVE and CBA with no AI mods?

I disabled VCOM and that's the only AI mod I have and it seemed to do the same thing, I've decided to just not use ALiVE for this mission anyways though.

4. Edited 5 years ago by Nichols

I have seen that with Fen added to a mission. We had one unit with over 13000 cycle waypoints. Simple solution for me was to remove Fen and that Fen unit.

5. @Nichols what’s Fen?

6. Edited 5 years ago by Ivorystate

dunno what Fen is, I was using vanilla FIA units though.

So I decided to just not use Alive for this mission, but I never did further tests without VCOM and so just to clarify, VCOM may have been the issue. I disabled VCOM and tested the cycle waypoints on a group in a blank mission, allowed it to complete 1 or 2 patrol cycles and then went checking in zeus it's waypoints it did the usual move move move move cycle cycle thing so I just assumed the problem was still there without VCOM. It wasn't a very thorough test though so maybe I had accidentally still had VCOM enabled or maybe it wouldn't have infinitely created waypoints and VCOM was causing it, I just decided to not bother with the hassle and use a different caching script regardless.

I don't have any other mods that could have caused it I think, just gear and unit mods and ACE. I may do a further test.

7. Edited 5 years ago by Ivorystate

Okay so I did a further test now that I have time, it most certainly is not caused by VCOM, and appears to endlessly add waypoints as they complete them. The infinite constant move placement seems to happen after a unit completes it's cycle after a certain number of times, I had one group on a short patrol and another on along one, and the short patrol spawned something like 300 waypoints while the long one was only on 30 or so. To me it seems like there is a limit on how many times the cycle waypoint will be added by alive before it decides to just endlessly place move waypoints on the previous waypoints locations. Not sure what could be causing it if no one else has this problem, maybe it's ACE?

Steps I took for the test:
    1)place down ALiVE(required) and virtual ai system, turn on debug on Virtual ai system and turn movement speed to 125%
    2)place down 2 groups
    3)place 4 move waypoints and one cycle waypoint on first move waypoint for one group far apart and one group close together
    4)place down player unit far away
    5)place down game master unit, make owner #adminlogged
    6)start mission, allow units to go through their patrol for 5 or 10 minutes
    7)go into zeus, and fly over to ai groups
    8)see waypoints on the close waypoint group are in the 100's and endlessly adding them, far away group has not as many but about 6 cycle waypoints, this causes highly noticeable framerate tanking

8. Fen:
    https://github.com/fencr0c/fen_a3/wiki

9. Can you explain why you’re doing number 3? I don’t understand why you’re adding your own waypoints to units you want virtualized.

10. Thanks @SavageCDN I just popped back on the forum and saw their question.

@HeroesandvillainsOS we are using Fen_A3 in a limited role to kinda take the place of the ALiVE CQB module; which has been especially problematic for me and several of our mission makers over the years.

Getting to understand Fen is a little bit of a learning curve but the AI tend to react a little better and you can limit the type of unit in the CQB area specifically rather than get a catch all of everything like ALiVE does by spawning divers, pilots, crewmen for armor, etc... in the CQB module. Plus it works get with ALiVE and VCOM as well as ASR_AI.

11. For CQB you need to provide a blacklist to prevent unit types from spawning (ie: divers)

http://alivemod.com/wiki/index.php/CQB (at bottom)

12. @SavageCDN I don't even put down a CQB module any more. I found that the blacklist more times than not didn't keep the things like divers from spawning in any faction regardless of how it was written. BTW PM inbound to you as well.

13. Edited 5 years ago by Nichols

@Ivorystate did you find a resolution to this one and did you open an issue on GitHub ? I just opened up an issue on there if you want to jump in on it with your information as well.

or Sign Up to reply!