Questions about TAORS + Others

1. 7 years ago

So a simple question regarding TAORS. I am redesigning my unit's ALiVE map on Takistan because we noticed that clearing a town doesn't mean anything because the TAORS ( I have about 6-7 of them) cover large sections of map. So if we clear a town and save the map and come back later it is back to the way it was. I checked database saving and it is not the issue. So I narrowed it down to a TAOR issue.

So my question in TL;DR form is: Is it better to make a TAOR for every single individual "town" or area instead of large portions of the map?

----------

I also would like some tips for making a Insurgency on Takistan more interesting and fulfilling. So suggest any tips or settings adjustments if possible.

2. Edited 7 years ago by SpyderBlack723

TAOR'S define areas where objectives exist so you only need one over the area as opposed to a TAOR for each objective . Although, each approach will work

So, in your case, if the town is registered as an objective, then capturing it will be useful.

3. So instead of several TAOR's, I can just make one big one? (Plus one for the BLUFOR base for players and one for where AI should spawn?)

4. On Takistan I only really had a TAOR covering the Northern airbase and the town of Rassman below it because that was where we were based and I didn't want OPFOR or IED's spawning there.

That was the only TAOR I used I think. I just let the OPFOR/Civs spawn everywhere else.

5. @JD_Wang On Takistan I only really had a TAOR covering the Northern airbase and the town of Rassman below it because that was where we were based and I didn't want OPFOR or IED's spawning there.

That was the only TAOR I used I think. I just let the OPFOR/Civs spawn everywhere else.

So are you saying just make a TAOR for only my base and that is it?

6. That's all I did. Takistan is a fairly small map so I wanted everything populated and I wanted Civvies and OPFOR everywhere except in my base.

So I use the TAOR over the airfield to blacklist Civvies and OPFOR, and just let them spawn everywhere else on the map.

Oh actually I think I had one more small one just covering the hangars on the airfield and used that to blacklist anything from spawning in them

7. @Mannulus So instead of several TAOR's, I can just make one big one? (Plus one for the BLUFOR base for players and one for where AI should spawn?)

Yes, if the large TAOR and small TAOR's all cover the same area, you're better off just using the single, larger TAOR.

8. @Mannulus

I generally take the approach of making TAOR's (the safe zones) covering only my bases and the AO (the enemy zones) one maker covering the entire rest of the map.

For any objective I want to hold, I call in either reinforcements from the Logisitcs tab (telling them to reinforce the area I just took) or I go to the Operations tab and manually change the waypoints of an existing friendly group.

If the opposing side deems the city you just took as an important objective, they will try to take it back. With friendly units reinforcing, that will be much harder for them to do.

I have an insurgency mission on Takistan if you want to take a look at my setup.

9. @HeroesandvillainsOS  @Mannulus

I generally take the approach of making TAOR's (the safe zones) covering only my bases and the AO (the enemy zones) one maker covering the entire rest of the map.

For any objective I want to hold, I call in either reinforcements from the Logisitcs tab (telling them to reinforce the area I just took) or I go to the Operations tab and manually change the waypoints of an existing friendly group.

If the opposing side deems the city you just took as an important objective, they will try to take it back. With friendly units reinforcing, that will be much harder for them to do.

I have an insurgency mission on Takistan if you want to take a look at my setup.

Sure, I would love to deconstruct it!

I am also curious if I can reduce the amount of hostile forces in areas. I notice the road from Garmsar and Garmarud all the way up to the Northern Airbase (That entire stretch of road) is so heavily filled with hostiles that my unit plans on deploying tanks to the region (And we never do that ;-;)

10. Edited 7 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

@Mannulus Sure, I would love to deconstruct it!

I am also curious if I can reduce the amount of hostile forces in areas. I notice the road from Garmsar and Garmarud all the way up to the Northern Airbase (That entire stretch of road) is so heavily filled with hostiles that my unit plans on deploying tanks to the region (And we never do that ;-;)

Here you go. It's the third mission on the main post: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/190913-alive-spcoop-1-8-prophet-a-series-of-missions-of-the-war-on-terror/

Is this an Assymetric Insurgency that you're playing? What I like to do is keep enemy units limited in their initial forces and couner that with a high amount of civs they can recruit (I have civs set to extreme with 40 in the limiter). For that map, and ones similar to its size, anything over 130-150 initial units is a little overkill. The insurgency will grow over time as they recruit vulnerable locals. Though take that with a grain of salt because obviously if you're using attack choppers with humans piloting and heavy armored vehicles a lot you'll obviously need to go up in the initial enemy spawns or make sure the enemy has the tools to respond in kind.

For those kinds of missions I prefer to pretty much limit both sides to ground forces and motorized units (and I also limit the number of CAS spawns so players can't spam it).

I know the exact valley you're talking about. My main base is just north of there and that place can get a little hot. What I do is approach from the north and park just before the alley-way and take my troops on foot to the higher ground where we have a decent FOV in every direction. My most favorite times clearing that area usually take quite some time as we make our way from there to a small outpost nested up on the hill that I set up (which can also get overrun with OPFOR LOL!).

Most times I don't even get far enough to take the mosque in one sitting. I just take it slow, get the high ground whenever possible and call in CAS to clean up the stragglers once all of the AA guys are dead. No tanks needed if I have a good run.

or Sign Up to reply!