Using Couch DB. Is loading automatic?

1. 6 years ago

I'm using Couchdb for Alive Persistence. It saves to the DB just fine, but I'm wondering if I need to call a function to load the persistent data from the Couch when the mission is restarted? Or does it load automatically?

2. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

It loads data from War Room automatically, being based on the mission.pbo name. You won't see a load button or anything. Assuming you're saving to the database properly, and your mission is correctly set up for persistence, just launch the mission normally on the server and your progress will be there when you spawn in.

To start your mission over, change the mission PBO name.

3. Edited 6 years ago by Cobra

so it works the same using the Couch as it does using just war room? Autoloading on mission start? I know it's saving because I can see the entries in the DB and it shows it saving when I exit the mission via admin save and exit. However I dont see any indication of a loading process.

4. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

The technical stuff is a bit out of my league. May need to wait for a dev to hop on. It's my understanding, in the current release, couchDB is the only method for saving data to the ALiVE database, which can be viewed while on ALiVE's War Room website (along with lots of other stuff).

I guess I'm not sure what you mean by using just "War Room." Can you clarify?

But yes, if you've successfully saved a mission using (Admin only) esc menu "server save and exit," loading the mission simply requires you to start the server again with the same mission.pbo name. The loading process is automatic.

If you don't have a persistent mission set up, and aren't sure how, I can link to you the necessary info. I guess I'm not entirely sure what you're asking.

5. There is a way to create a local Database, bypassing the WarRoom ,the Alive data servers and save the persistent information to your own local database using CouchDB.

https://github.com/ALiVEOS/ALiVE.OS/wiki/Setting-Up-a-local-DB-instance-(DEV-ONLY )

I've followed the guide and am able to confirm that the information is being saved and stored to my local database. I just need to know how to access the saved data and load it at the start of the mission. i see no indication of it loading. I'm sure there is a step i'm missiong to access the data.

6. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

For the new saving method, In your mission, you need ALiVE data placed. In the module, you change the default CouchBD option to profileNamespace.

Then set persistence to yes in all the modules your mission uses. Look through them all, a bunch have this feature defaulted to no.

If you're hosting your own local server, loading a save is as simple as starting the mission again like you did the first time you played it and saved it (either in SP or local MP, makes no difference). Dedicated server is a bit trickier.

Anyway, if you're not seeing the mission load correctly, I'm going to assume your mission isn't using the editor/module settings needed for data to be saved.

A good simple way to test would be to change the data option for save mission time from no to yes. Save the mission at a certain time of day. Start the mission again, and look at the time.

7. Edited 6 years ago by Cobra

I dont think we're on the same page here. I have the stuff in the editor right. All set to yes using CouchDB. It is saving. I have confirmed it. Ive been saying that in each post. It is saving. the problem is to figure out how to confirm it is loading. In my experience with WAr Room loading it will give you a notice on the right of the screen on mission load. I am guessing that for the data to be loaded from the CouchDB there is a function that needs to be called.

I just reread the part to test using in game time. I will try that right now.

8. Edited 6 years ago by marceldev89

The local CouchDB should work automatically for the most part.

9. I can confirm it's saving but it is not loading. If its saving it should be setup right?

10. Edited 6 years ago by HeroesandvillainsOS

You may either want to post the mission here, or post your server rpt from the session you saved and the session you loaded. Database persistence is pretty reliable these days so I'm going to guess the solution here is simple (i.e. Mod conflict, or module not set properly or server info not setup correctly on the site, etc).

It's possible you're thinking your mission is saving because your profile is updating on War Room. These are not the same thing (though I can see how someone would assume one connecting would mean the other was working, etc).

11. I am not using the Alive War Room! I am using my own local database! I can confirm the data is saved because I can view the saved entries in the local database. As stated in the guide I posted, which explains setting up a local database on a personal dedicated server, War Room only needs to have your unit registered and is not involved in saving or loading of persistent data. That is all being done on my local machine. The data is there I can see it. I followed the guide and I cant see anything I could have missed to make it save, but not load. Also how do I post the mission? As an attachment?

12. Edited 6 years ago by marceldev89

Put the file on dropbox and post the shared url here. I doubt it's a mission issue though.

Also tagging @Tupolov since he's the couch man :)

13. Edited 6 years ago by Cobra

https://www.dropbox.com/s/47vv7a7ja58oqp9/Vietnam_65_MSO_02.DaKrong.pbo?dl=0

Here is the mission file

14. I managed to solve the problem. Player positions and vehicles are being loaded. The issue seemed to be incorrect setup with war room. When a mission loads from couch it dosent appear to have any ingame notification of a successful data load.

Everything seems to be persisting except for partolreps and spotreps. Am I missing an option in a module in the editor to enable persistent reports?

15. @Cobra I managed to solve the problem. Player positions and vehicles are being loaded. The issue seemed to be incorrect setup with war room. When a mission loads from couch it dosent appear to have any ingame notification of a successful data load.

What was the issue with war room?

@Cobra Everything seems to be persisting except for partolreps and spotreps. Am I missing an option in a module in the editor to enable persistent reports?

I believe the patrol- and spotreps persistence is a separate setting in some module but can't remember what exactly.

16. The problem was that even with CouchDB you have to have the dedicated server properly setup within War Room. I had some old values from an old server that was using War Room persistence. I just double checked and removed any info that remained from the old serer that was originally registered to the War Room. Once the new server was properly setup in War Room, the Couch worked.

I cannot seem to find the SPOTREP PATROL REP persistence setting. I searched for about 2 hours last night to no avail.

17. Edited 6 years ago by marceldev89

The "ALiVE (Required)" modules has an option called "Disable Adv. Markers" which should be set to "No". If that's the case then it should work fine.

Check the RPT of the client that's doing the server save, it should be mentioned in there somewhere.

18. The option isnt disabled, but it's still not saving the markers.

19. it shows that the markers are being saved to the database, but not loading. Is there any info I can find in my logs or reports that can help me out? I see the logs and there is a ton of info in there. I see some suspect stuff, but I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

20. I don't know too much about the markers and persistence but you can post whatever you think is useful here and I'll check it out.

Our persistence guy will be back soon but until then we'll have to make due.. :D

21. Newer ›

or Sign Up to reply!