Another Helicopter Discussion

1. 6 years ago

I made a video of some of my work the other night, see here.

Anyway... at about 6:39 a helicopter does something awesome, and it generated a feature request for me. Two actually.

First... if the new landAt addition works, could potentially use that for good point landings. Worth looking at.

Second... could the insertion options be extended a bit? For example I know from testing that flyInHeight -0.8 is the perfect height to drive a crrc into a ch-53, but I'm stuck at a floor of 2, and can't use decimal places... could we make a field for exact alt? Or a better slider? Could we also have the option to set a timer on the Wp? So that... after 1:00 or what not, the bird rtbs. Another idea was to let us string together a "flight plan" by adding additional commands to the bird... that stack similar to waypoints.

Just ideas. Thoughts?

2. Edited 6 years ago by SpyderBlack723

First... if the new landAt addition works, could potentially use that for good point landings. Worth looking at.

This is pretty much how everyone does helicopter landings already, create an invisible helipad and order the helicopter to land there.

Could we also have the option to set a timer on the Wp? So that... after 1:00 or what not, the bird rtbs.

Not a bad idea, create an issue on github

Another idea was to let us string together a "flight plan" by adding additional commands to the bird... that stack similar to waypoints.

Would require some reworking of the entire CAS/TRANSPORT system, which probably would sit on the feature request list until A3 dies.

3. Edited 6 years ago by Docbuck

I meant landAt for planes, the one where you can tell a plane to go to an airport... you can now tell a helo to go to a specific named variable helipad. As of 1.68. Could clean things up. Haven't looked at the current function myself, just lookin out.

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/landAt

4. landAt for planes has been available since A2

5. https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/landAt
    "Since Arma 3 v1.68 it is possible to order a helicopter to land on designated helipad." <- using landAt

6. Edited 6 years ago by SpyderBlack723

I was responding to this

I meant landAt for planes, the one where you can tell a plane to go to an airport

7. I gotcha. Can't seem to get that landAt to do what I want anyway with rotary.

8. Check the comment from Tankbuster - perhaps it still is a problem in the latest version?

https://community.bistudio.com/wiki/landAt

9. Edited 6 years ago by Docbuck

Perhaps, but see BI note in the command description. Was supposed to get new functionality in 1.68

10. The functionality was being able to order the helicopter to land at a specific helipad instead of giving it a position (where it then chose the nearest helipad). Unfortunately, nothing significant there.

11. I don't know, it's be nice to have my helicopters land back at their original landing pad so my CAS chopper doesn't decide it would rather park on the medical choppers pad.

or Sign Up to reply!